Rodinal & Tri-X or Rodinal & Agfa APX

bonnici

Are you talking APX 100 or 400?????

APX 100 is a very good film, and devlops well in Rodinal

TriX tends to be a bit grainy and have compressed mid-tones. But I like it in Rodinal 1+50 or 1+100

Also, what is the "full effect of Rodinal" you refer to?

Rodinal's history indicates its roots were designed for medium speed films. However,

it works fine on TRI-X too. If you are talking APX400, then "yes" I get more grain than

Tri-X, but that's true of most developers and APX400. My APX100 results show much

less grain and more contrast than Tri-X, but both have that classic look. I think that

you can achieve the full effect Rodinal can deliver by using a reasonable dilution and

agitation procedure and practice.

I use Rodinal almost exclusively. I rate Tri-X at 160 ASA and dev in Rodinal 1:50, 20 C, 8 minutes. Grain at that rating is not really that prominent. I rate APX 100 at 50 and dev in Rodinal 1:50, 20 C, 12 minutes. Grain is quite visible but very crisp and the tonality is excellent. Both times are for a diffuser head enlarger.

APX400 USED to be a great film for portraiture, etc., in particular with 120 film. It wasn't quite as grainy as HP5 or Tri-X, and had superb gradation, especially when processed in Rodinal, but I hear now that an Agfa reformulation has changed that for the worst. Alas, some things just don't get better with age.....! TriX seems to be the 400 speed choice-- excellent grain and gradation characteristics, with HP-5+ a fairly close second along with the tabular films whose only real failings are in gradation, especially in the highlights.

I'd try the Tri-X with Rodinal, and if the grain is a bit too severe, maybe add some sodium sulfite, 10-25 grams/liter, or try XTOL at 1:3 or even 1:5 since that will give very good gradation characteristics plus excellent accutance-- that sharp grain you are looking for.

I have got great results with the my first few rolls of APX400 in HC110 DilB for 7 min nice looking prints compare well to TriX its a very sharp film too and cheaper than TriX where I live and also more widely available. I have bought a couple more rolls that I am using up at the moment but so far I am very pleased with the film. I think TriX has a bit better speed but APX400 is still a good choice as well. As for Rodinal well every now and then I get temptation to develop a roll of TriX in it and I usually kick myself afterwards. I was looking through some prints last night some were TriX in Rodinal and I was just starting to say well its not that bad and there is some kind of extra sharpness but I find that camera technique has to be spot on and lenses have to be tack sharp if the focus is off by just a touch or the lens is a bit soft you get an image with that has tack sharp grain but the image itself looks soft and I find it just looks weird. My Canonette 1.7 GIII will produce this effect when shot wide open at 1.7 and I don't like it very much soft image tack sharp grain.

Suggest using Rodinal 1:50 with Ilford FP4. FP4 air drys faster with less film curl than APX 100.

Dilute Rodinal reduces contrast and enhances edge effects. Tri-X, a low contrast emulsion, may look flat vs APX 100 or FP-4. My -135 FP4/Rodinal 1:50 5x7 prints are sharp & grainless. Try 12 min at 20c.

Quick note on APX400-- true film speed is, or at least used to be 320 or a bit less. Trying to get it up to 400 or better might be a cause of graininess.... Rated at 200 and processed accordingly (even in Rodinal) should give good results but it's not a good choice for pushing over 400 unless enhanced grain is your interest.