Some more photographs by Al Kaplan

<I>Eric, sometimes you have to look at how a dispute began before deciding who's right

and who's wrong.</I><P>

Fair enough, it began with a comment on Al's scan. No attack there...<P>

<I> Four or five people regularly pile on Al every time he appears on Photo.net</I><P>

That is a huge exaggeration...<P>

<I>...think about how it all started, and not about just trying to get the next shot in.

</I><P>

Again, it began with my comment on Al's scan.

www.citysnaps.net

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad, let me make a suggestion...

You must admit that you have a history of directing pointy comments to and about Al. It should come as no surprise to you from now on that whenever you make any critical comment about or to Al that it will be interpreted as having malicious intent.

My suggestion is this: Why don't you e-mail Al and get everything off your chest... even educate him about digital photogrqaphy if you must. Start a correspondence with him. What you will discover is that Al is actually a pretty good guy and knows a lot about photography.

Give it a shot... and let's have some peace here.

Dennis

Check Brad's posts, look at(for) his photos. You will be able evaluate his personal merit and photographic ability with total accuracy.

Nobody needs to post photos to speak *positively* about Al's work, as I mainly do, or about other REAL photographers....

...OR to suggest people check the competence and personal merit of poseurs who live to attack.

And I'll speak positively again here: "street photographers" sometimes DO something worthwhile in Japan, and in Russia too. And Iceland, I've seen great stuff from Iceland! And Chile!

Those who wonder what "street photography" actually is should check that photo.net Forum. Not like photojournalism, a common misperception, more like perpetual student work. Perpetual students are fine people as long as they buy film.

And what are you going to admit on my insistence?

He's love and devotion for you master. I've already instructed him in rear kissing techniques master.

Hope you are pleased.

Nice pictures Al. Best not show the master he gets a bit touchy.

Brad, maybe you misconstrued that phrase. It was not a directive or command that you had to admit anything but merely a rhetorical phrase that prefaced my intended remarks. If I was not clear that was my fault.

My point, though, was that because you do in fact have a history of going after Al pretty good that now whenever you post anything even the least bit critical of Al people will assume your motivations are not pure and that your comments are unfair. You're in a no win situation in that regard. Why don't you consider burying the hatchet with Al? Have a cyber beer with him. E-mail him... please.

Dennis

Thanks for taking Dennis's suggestion to email me directly. So far nobody else has succeeded in elucidating the mysteries of unsharp masking techniques, as well as the theories behind it, as thoroughly as you did. I honestly think that after reading through it a time or two and playing on the computer I'll have it down pat and finally be worthy of posting on the Street Forum. I also appreciated the links you sent to those stunning portfolios of your photos of gorgeous girls. I do wish, however, that you'd warned me ahead of time just in case there were any kids in the room when I opened them on screen! Where do you find so many cute young females willing to pose like that? Or do you shoot them in the studio and move them out into the real world via photoshop? Anyway, fantastic work! You should be proud, extremely proud of your talents. Surely you must have some tamer stuff you could post on the Leica Forum? Don't want to give any of us old fuffy duddies a heart attack now, do we?

Also, thanks for your cell number. I'll probably give you a call tonight if I can't master the unsharp mask thing right off. You can walk me through it like you suggested. Seriously, thanks Dude! From the heart!

<i>"Have a cyber beer with him"</i><p>

Good suggestion, but better still, have a real beer (if you both drink). <p>

Sheesh, half the problem with internet forums is that participants cannot interact properly, cant see nuances in a persons face, cannot convey humour properly etc. <p>

Most of the people involved in these web disagreements would most likely get on well in the real world. We all have a common enthusiasm for photography at the end of the day, dont we?<p>

Have fun, A

<I> My point, though, was that because you do in fact have a history of going after Al

pretty good...</I><P>

Going after Al pretty good? Let's see... I posted about the bad scan. That was terrible of

me. A week ago Al said that that music today is largely recorded on analog tape. I

weighed in that there are no manufacturers of analog recorders or analog tape today. That

was awful...<P>

Dennis, you quit the forum and ran away a few months ago. It appears you came back

solely to get in trouble again. Why is that?<P>

Al, on your last post (4:17P), I have no idea what you're talking about - I don't have any

portfolios of girls. Anyone else know what he means? BTW, I'd give you some suggestion

about making your first photo above markedly better, but Dennis, stirring up trouble,

would accuse me of impure motives.<P>

And John and Michael, where are YOUR photos?

www.citysnaps.net

<I> Good suggestion, but better still, have a real beer (if you both drink).</I><P>

Good idea Andy. In fact when I was planning my New Orleans trip a few months ago, I

invited Dennis to meet up and go shooting with me. Well, after hemming and hawing, and

the rest of the forum egging him on, he reluctantly said he'd meet for a drink - he

apparently didn't want to shoot with me. So it was going to be a get together over some

beers - that's fine. But then right after that, he disappeared. Odd.

www.citysnaps.net

Mutual Admiration between Al and Brad! I like it!

And I promise to retire the M.A. phrase, as it seemed to get under some people's skin (understandably).

I'll also try to learn how to work my scanner well enough to start posting pictures, though I'm not making any promises in that department.

OK maybe I shouldn't have gone public with telling folks you're really a nice guy. I suppose you've got an image to protect, the tough street fighter, whatever, when really you're an OK guy. Forgive me. I'll never praise your good qualities in public again! And that last bunch of scans? WHEWWW!!!! The monitor is still smokin'...

Brad, I waited for you. You never called. You never wrote. I was crushed... ;>)

BTW, I showed Tom Abrahamsson around New Orleans last Saturday. Very interesting guy. I'll try to post something tonight about that.

Dennis

P.S. Isn't it a bit embarassing for a bunch of grown men to be carrying on like this on the internet?

Well, Michael B... Dozens of others here and on the other forums manage to do both and

somehow make it through the day. Why not eschew the attitude and give it a try.

Al, still have no idea what you're talking about.

www.citysnaps.net

<i>The forum tradition continues; lead by Stuart and Michael B. When you have nothing to contribute or are short on words, just hurl some insults.</i>

<p>

bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat- bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat- bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat- bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-

bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat- bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat- bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat- bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-bleat-

"Sheesh, half the problem with internet forums is that participants cannot interact properly, cant see nuances in a persons face, cannot convey humour properly etc.

Most of the people involved in these web disagreements would most likely get on well in the real world. We all have a common enthusiasm for photography at the end of the day, dont we?"

It reminds me of when good and/or smart and friendly people get in their car and turn into Mr./Ms. Hyde on the road.

Please Al, keep posting. The CONTENT is worth much more than the "poor" presentation (yes, I saw the artifacts), but I'm sure the actual prints are quite nice. Do you have a catalog/website? Oh, and please send me the links you were referring to, pretty please?