Anyone familiar with Platon's work?

danny_liao

I never heard of him, but from your samples I presume that he's some kind of celebrity chaser. If it's true that a phographer actually makes pictures of himself then he must depressed as hell. Why would anyone pose for him?

"I never heard of him, but from your samples I presume that he's some kind of celebrity chaser. If it's true that a phographer actually makes pictures of himself then he must depressed as hell. Why would anyone pose for him?"

Actually I think it's the other way around - the celebrities all want to be photogrpahed by Platon

Platon is a famous celebrity portrait photographer. Some even compare his portraits to the likes of Avedon. To me that's a little bit far fetched, but some do. To me his portraits are beautiful, even with the wide angle distortions and the exaggerated dodging and burning.

BTW Bill, I have no idea what you are talking about.

His work sort of reminds me of a a cross breeding of Albert watson & either the late herb

Ritts or Matthew Rolston -- with maybe a touch of very early Avedon in a consciously silly

mode, but to me has absolute zero in common with any of Avedon's styles from the mid

1950s onward -- so much of it looks contrived, especially combined with that over burned

vignetting look. I like how he gets people you wouldn't expect to be playful -- like G. H. W.

Bush -- to crack their public shell.

"I like how he gets people you wouldn't expect to be playful -- like G. H. W. Bush -- to crack their public shell."

according to his CNN interview for the Clinton shot (left)

http://www.platonphoto.com/virtualportfolio/portaits/images/i.jpg

After they had been working for a while he figured what he was lookign for and said "Can you show me the love Mr. President?" - CLinton's aides groaned "oh oh you can ask him that" But CLinto said "no no guys I know what he means" and adopted the pose.

It's a pretty good summation of a certain view of Clinton (and presumably Clintons view of himself) and takes a certain sort of nerve combined with confidence to get I think

To call him a "celebrity chaser" is dismissive and wrong. I think his portrait work is superior and more creative than anything else being done right now anywhere in the world. His book, PLATON'S REPUBLIC, is incredible (now in paper I think so take a look at it). He provides an entertaining hand-written narrative with each image, so you know HOW he got Bush 41 to give the now-famous victory sign or Clinton to spead his legs for a crotch shot, and so on. I'm usually not much of a fan of celebrity portraits, but this guy is in another class altogether.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Met him last night in New York at a discussion he gave about his work. He came across extremely well. Self-deprecating and extremely personable. You can see how he gets inside the subject he shoots even when he only has about 10 minutes with him.

As already mentioned, he uses a Hasselblad with a fisheye lens and these days he scans his negs and does the vignetting and burning in Photoshop to give that distinctive look to his photos.

Also does a lot of documentary styly photos using a couple of old Leicas from the 50's. He says that he doesn't like digital because it is not good enough yet.

• 1 year later...