visible cameras.<p>

The photography ban, which NPPA has opposed since we first learned of

the plan in May 2004, was posted in the New York State Register on

November 24. The official public comment period has begun but it will

end shortly, on January 10, 2005.<p>

We encourage all of our members and other interested parties to submit

comments as soon as possible here:<p>

<a

href="http://mta.info/nyct/rules/proposed.htm">http://mta.info/nyct/rules/proposed.htm</a><p>

According to the MTA Web site, comments that have already been

submitted will be reviewed and considered along with the any new

comments submitted during the official comment period.<p>

The NPPA believes this proposal represents a part of a larger, ongoing

trend in the United States and that it is important for all NPPA

members to take action, regardless of if they are a New York resident

or not. Under the umbrella of "fighting terrorism" we have seen

government officials nationwide moving to limit free expression, free

speech, and free press. While such rights may often be inconvenient

for the government, we believe that they are essential to ensuring the

liberty and freedom that we enjoy in this nation.<p>

Related story:<p> <a

href="https://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2004/09/nppa_opposes_subway_photography_ban.html">https://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2004/09/nppa_opposes_subway_photography_ban.html</a><p>

Note: Permission to reprint this letter is granted, provided it

appears in its entirety and is properly credited to the National Press

Photographers Association.

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<This effort to criminalize photography is presented as necessary in order to increase security on the transportation lines and to prevent terrorism, although it would continue to be legal to carry a licensed, concealed gun on the subway.>

While I share the NPPA's concern about the ban on photography, this particular sentence contains a total non sequitor. Whoever wrote it is apparently unfamiliar with the thoroughness of the NYPD's background check on every applicant seeking a so-called "carry" permit. It's the UNlicensed gun owners who are problematic.

I point this out not to contest the NPPA's position on photography, to which I am sympathetic, but because I think it weakens the NPPA statement and thus beclouds the issue.

As a native of New York City I say:

SCREW THIS!

I will not be held hostage in my own city by a guy in a bad turban, or any other spineless

pencil dick, who is eager to exploit a tragedy to further is own political shenanigans.

I suggest that people email the MTA and let their feelings be known.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety

deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Feli

Well, where to start?

Firstly, this kind of targeting of public citizens in an allegedly free country, is simply wrong.

a) It hands another victory to terrorists.

b) It is not the way you combat terrorism. You infiltrate, track and bring to justic terrorist cells. We have the money and and the resources, but our inompetent leadership would rather target and harrass air travellers, and subway riders, and bomb and destroy poor people in third world countries with very expensive high technology weapons, (in the process creating more terrorists, which gives them the licence to keep the populace in fear, and hence guaranteeing their re-election).

As for the jack boots, have you not seen the latest outfits being modeled by the NYPD? They make the Stormtroopers of The SS look like a bunch of panseys.

Classic wet liberal answer, rather than think with their minds, follows the party mind. They would rather see some dictator committing mass murder, for the sake of stability, than saying or doing anything about it. However, they are very happy to participate in the mass murder of 45 million folk in developing countries in the next ten years due to lack of food and medicine. Debt to the west, falling aid from most western countries being main contributors to this epic on Biblical proportions.

Of course they will not say a word about it, but are happy to continue to suck and slurp the cream of the west. Why, because there's no glamour in it, no rays coming down from heaven to illumine them on their noble quests with their yellow Leica's.

No, I'm no better than anyone else....just struggle to listen to the BS from the knights of heaven.

Yes, you can take photos on the London underground, however, flash is not permitted....not that anyone takes any notice.<div>00ANjl-20828284.jpg.3d09ee8f4890833b2342ab86b3456ccd.jpg</div>

Amateur Photographer magazine asked London transport about their policy a while back and were told (as in Allen's off-topic rant) that non-flash photography is fine (provided you have a valid ticket). The official website (http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/filmingfaq.asp) has a rather different answer ("anybody wanting to film or take pictures must seek prior permission from the London Underground Film Office") but the rest of this FAQ looks like it's targeted at serious professional use (you can even hire a train for your shoot!). In practice, tourists snap pictures all the time and the staff have more important things to worry about.

I have shot in the NYC subways, but don't plan on doing it much further. The ever-

brighter fluorescent lights don't make for the kind of pictures I like, though they do

make for easier exposures than before! I have gotten some images I'm satisfied with,

but unfortunately can't post them due to lack of technology on this end.

As I wrote in a previous thread recently, one thing that often goes unremarked is that

a photo ban would actually be a return to the way things were for most of the NYC

subway's history. Back when Walker Evans was doing his series of surreptitious

photos of subway passengers in the late 1930s, it was definitely illegal -- though the

reason then was privacy and property rights, as far as I know.

I hope they don't pass the law, but I must say that working in secret and with a little

risk attached could be conducive to art, for those who are interested.

So, Allen, I take it you think that the war in Iraq has been a resounding success? A great step forward in bringing justice to those millions of people who will die as a result of the IMF's policies? Mate, as an American, I have every right to criticize the actions of my government, and yours. The attack on Iraq had nothing to do with bringing relief to the people of Iraq from an American sponsored dictator. It was all about the black gold, and that juice that we Americans are addicted to will cost us in copious amounts of blood money.

I find your reasoning unsound, and subject to too much personal rancor towards those of us that would like to cheer up the appearance of our photographic apparel.

But, subject to whimsy and in respect of your great ability as a photographer of talent and feeling, in my role as a Knight of the Heavenly Light or whatever you want to entitle me, I dub thee "Sir Allen of the Grand order of the the rangefinder, Lord of the Iraqi People, and Saviour of all suffering people everywhere."

Sir Allen of the Grand order of the the rangefinder, Lord of the Iraqi People, and Saviour of all suffering people everywhere."

Thanks Claude, cool. Now go and do some do good, to make yourself feel good. Hopefully you will be beamed up by Jesus, as a little ray of sunshine to illuminate our little sad lives.. Sir knight of Heaven.

Regards Sir Allen of the Grand Order.