Nikor 4x5 Developing tank

leo_maniace2

Leo:

Here's a .jpg of the instructions. I have one of these tanks, and I love it! One thing to look

out for, the 'reel' has to be very clean to load/unload properly. One of the reels I had

needed to be chemically cleaned (with nitric acid) and it was really hard to unload it. The

one I have now is nice and clean, and the film slides right out of it.

-Mike

Make sure it's correctly adjusted by inserting a scrap neg or sheet of film in slots on four sides of the reel. If you set the reel so that there's a little play (on the order of 1 mm wider than the film), it will be much easier to load, even when the reel is a little damp.

Load the reel with the emulsion side in. Generally I hold the reel sideways with the top oriented toward the left, and I feed the sheets with my right hand, and guide it in with my left hand as well. You should feel the film notches in the upper left corner to be sure you're feeding emulsion side in. Curve the film forward, following the curve of the reel as you slide the sheet in, and it should go in smoothly (practice with the scrap sheet in the light first).

When you've loaded it, hook the metal band starting from the flat side under one of the rails, wrap it around the reel, and hook the other end with the bump on the same rail.

If the reel is adjusted properly and you use the right technique, you can in fact process 12 sheets in the reel. If you're having trouble getting twelve sheets in, you probably need to loosen the reel a bit.

If you use a developer with a short development time or something prone to uneven development like a staining developer, I recommend filling the tank in the dark with the lid off, then putting the lid on and continuing in the dark.

I find the ideal amount of solution is 1200 ml.

Another thing to mention is that there appears to be 2 different size tanks these reels

come with. Some of them have about an extra 3/4" between the top of the reel & top of

the tank, while in others the reel is just 1/8" below the top of the tank. In the shorter ones

you'd be hard pressed to get much more than 1060ml of solution in.

-Mike

• 9 years later...