How many pictures uploaded everyday to PN

nacivet

Any idea of how many pictures are uploaded everyday on average,and

how many pictures uploaded in five years to PN so far?

Maybe the info is somewhere on the website, but didn't find it, I

even thought you could have a counter updating permanently.

Thanks for enlightening me.

I don't know about current statistics, but this <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001BVy">thread from December, 2000</a> reported that at that time, about 300 to 400 images per day were being uploaded to photo.net and there were about 35,000 images total posted at the site. You can get a sense of how things exploded from this <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20020123010457/www.photo.net/">archived page from January 2002</a>, which reflects a feature that photo.net started at that time, in which statistics were displayed in the masthead. It shows that in January, 2002, there were over 206,000 images posted.

I suspect the upload frequency has increased a LOT since December. Used to be when I put a pic in the critique forum it would be on the first page for about 20 minutes. Now it seems to be more like 2. Probably a result of all those digital cameras given as christmas gifts. I'm slso seeing fewer ratings by members, and pics seem to reach the magic 10 ratings limit quicker. Anyone notice the same thing?

Note that I don't think the overall quality of pictures has gone down.

as of this morning there were 3,099,000 images total uploaded, an increase by 2,893,000 in the past 36 months; that is an average of 80,360 uploaded monthly, 18,540 per week, and 2,650 daily. but figure that this trend has accelerated from the daily upload of 450-500 three years ago, so that the daily figure now is likely close to 4,000 per day.

Patrick, I'd be glad to have you update the statistics, if you'd like to.

The average number of photos uploaded per day to the photo.net Gallery is about 1800, but about one-third of these are deleted fairly quickly, i.e. within about 30 days. During the week it is more like 2000. This doesn't include photos that are attached to forum posts, comments, etc.

The total number of distinct Gallery photos in the database is about 1.2 million, and they represent about 400 Gigabytes when you count two or three different sizes that we have for each photo (thumbnail, medium, and large). Of course, it takes quite a bit more diskspace than that to handle it all because of redundant RAID disks, backups, caches, etc.

• 5 months later...