Canon EOS1Ds-MII vs. Digital medium format cameras

I'm considering setting up a photographic studio, and it is my

understanding that for stock work something along the medium format

quality is needed. How would you compare the Canon EOS1Ds-MII

with some digital medium format cameras, or with a standard medium

format camera with a digital sensor pack.

I currently have EOS20D as the body.

Can Canon EOS1Ds-MII pull off what the medium format cameras can,

image quality wise. I inted to shoot portraitures and groups of

people. Or is a film scannera and a good'ol film Hasselblad still

the way to go?

I know that this is a bit of a vague question, but all help is

appreciated before I end up spending 7350? for the Canon EOS1Ds-

MII :-)

Olli:

There is really no such thing as "stock work." "Stock" is a way of selling, not shooting.

As a person with over three decades of experience in the industry, I suggest you find out what the people at the top of the specialty you want to shoot are using and then get something a bit better.

There are markets where a 10d is perfectly fine and others where only large format film and drum scans make the cut. Do a bit of research by asking photo buyers or agents, they'll know what's really selling instead of what people are trying to sell.

I don't know much about stok photography what ever exactly that means, but I am a little confused as to why they would require a medium format. I have had isues when trying to print really large images, something medium format cameras are often used for. However, I found a simple remedy to this with my 6 MP Digital Rebel.

I use image stiching. Basically, I take 4 pictures of an object zooming in on each quadrant and then lace them together later to make really large files for big prints.

In any case, I don't think quality is based on the size of the file, but the skills of the photographer.

The 1DS MArk II is a great camera if your skills require that much camera.

OK, thank's for the input.

This is actually the text snippet from the Canon marketing material (press release for the 16 megapixel EOS) that caused me to ask this question:

"Featuring a full-frame 36 x 24mm 16.7 Megapixel CMOS sensor, the EOS-1Ds Mark II produces images with outstanding colour rendition and dynamic range. It has sufficient resolution to produce files which convert to 50MB uncompressed TIFF at 24 bit colour depth, now considered standard acceptable size by leading international photo agencies and stock libraries."

But it is absolutely true that you have to know the standards of a certain photography sector, and follow those.

Olli,

Keep in mind that if you ever sell images from film to a stock agency, they will do the final scanning on a high end scanner, not you. You would most likely send them low res files of your portfolio for them to assess them, and then send them the negatives for scanning. So unless you want to print yourself, no need to dump big $ on the scanner.

As for the difference in quality, my take is if you are willing to make an investment such as a high end back for medium format, you should be able to try it before purchase. That would be the best way for you to determine quality and see if any system fits.