what film would make my colors come out more?

Cleaner can mean many things in color. It can mean clean and natural. E100GX meets that one. Or it can mean more colorful than life, with the colors gently warped towards higher saturation and purer colors. 400UC is one of those films, Velvia 50 is another, although some of it's colors are significantly innacurate.

But, understand that the "color" of your 400UC prints has very little to do with the film, and almost everything to do with the folks making the prints. They (or a computer program) choose color balance, exposure, constrast, color saturation, sharpening, etc. Also, different types of paper have very different looks. You can't view those machine prints as anything more than "proof prints". If you want control, you need to establish either a digital or wet darkroom, and control your own prints. Or you can pay a custom printer, but that's $30 a print and up for 8x10s.

With slide film, nobody is "interpreting" the image for you. But you are now dealing with much fussier film, with limited latitude, and higher contrast. Also, if you want a print, you're in a harder place, since minilabs make second-rate prints from slides at best. However, with a professional printer, you can say "make it look like the slide", and there's no layer of their interpretation anymore.

From what I understand about Kodak's goal, at least what they came up with, is their new line of Portra is less contrasty, while still obtaining rich saturation.

What are you shooting? Indoor or outdoor? Fuji Velvia 100 is great for outdoor shots, I found it to have contrast in harsh lighting. I have been told, but not experienced the Sensia is more foregiving, less contrast.

All depends on what your doing. Slide film is less foregiving than negative film, but can produce far superior quality. Give it a try, you'll fall in love looking at the 'little pictures,' I did.

J,

What are you shooting: Portraits or Landscapes? What do you want to shoot: Color Negatives or Slides?

Portraits: Kodak Portra 160VC or 160NC; Fuji 160C or 160S

Landscapes: Fuji Velvia 100 or Fuji Provia 100F; Kodak E100VS or E100G or Kodak 100UC

Also as prevoiusly stated, what are you using for a lab? They might be tonning down your contrast and saturation. Try and find a Pro Lab and ask them to print for you a print that has the best Contrast & Saturation.

It doesn't seem like finding a better lab for color neg printing is easy nowadays. Many of the good ones are under. Minilab prints indeed are proof quality and one can do much better with a scanner and inkjet.

However, I strongly diagree that film choice (even among C41 films)is not important for obtaining a certain look. E.g. among saturated films, Portra 160VC and 400UC produce very, very different looking results! And I doubt any amount of PS work is going to turn one into the other.

• 1 month later...