HC-110 Dilution question

karl_knize

1:31 is the standard dilution most most. It is B. H is 1/2 B and that works out to 1:64 ( 1/2 x /32 = 1/64 ).

If the times are too short for your liking, dilute more to 1:45 or 1:64.

I asume the B ratio you came up with is 1 part stock to 31 parts water, or 10 ml stock to 310 ml water, or 20 ml stock to 620 ml water and you are in the United States as the syrup in other places is less concentrated.

The "stock solution" mentioned on the bottle label is actually from Kodak's directions to mix up the syrup with water before use (1+3 with water I guess) and then use that "stock solution" to make Dil B, Dil H, etc. I haven't heard of many people actually following Kodak's directions in that regard -- instead, most people dilute directly from the syrup because it keeps longer.

Kodak have caused some unnecessary confusion with their names. They are the opposite of Agfa, who sell one developer under two different names. Kodak like reusing names. Just as there is more than one type of film called Tri-X, there are two different concentrations of HC-110 and they are sold in different markets.

Have a look at

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

for quite a bit of info about HC-110

Two part response here:

1.) I figured the reason some of you identified dilution B, 1:7 from stock as

printed on the bottle as 1:31 was based upon working directly from the syrup.

But if I diulute 1:31 from the stock as I have in the past, and not the syrup, then

the dilution is much greater than 1:31, is it not? I'm entirely one sided in

regard to my math abilities -- not the analytical side-- so the acutal dilution is a

dark fuzzy mass to me. (And probably not important, so long as I get the

results I'm after.)

2.) I've seen reference to working directly from the syrup with a pipette, and

I've hesitated doing the same for reasons of repeatibility, my reasoning being

if you're a little off working directly from the syrup, it will be greater than being

a little off working from the stock solution. In the past, I've mixed my stock

solution into a collapsible bottle to prevent oxidation and kept it refrigerated

between use. I never really noticed any fluctuations in results, which was

largely film shot in studio with controlled lighting.

So anyway, I appreciate your collective response, and I may just give it a try

using a pipette directly from the syrup.

Okay Karl,

(From the US version of HC-110 that I have purchased)

If you dilute the concentrate to make the stock solution, you have a 1+3 dilution that is 1/4 strength. To make the dilution B from stock, you dilute the stock 1+7 and you have diluted the stock to 1/8 strength. 1/4 X 1/8 = 1/32. Diluting the stock solution 1+31 you have diluted the stock to a 1/32 strength, therefore 1/4 X 1/32 = 1/128 or 1+127 from concentrate. I agree with you on making a stock solution and making the final dilution from the stock, it is much more consistent. The use of collapsible containers will prolong the stock solution. I have used marbles to displace the air in my stock container and it works well for me. Making very dilute solutions from HC-110 concentrate is possible, but I have found it to be less reproducible.

Paul