Dedicated kit for XP-2 processing?

james_ogara1

I believe you can use any silver halide film developer to develop XP2. I'm speaking from experience as I've seen the results that students have gotten when they use Xtol (by mistake because their instructor -- me -- wasn't clear enough in his film processing instructions).<P>The problem is there is a difference between develop and optimized development -- I believe you need to use the C41 process for optimum image quality.<P>Tetnal makes (or use to make?) a 12 roll C41 kit. Sorry I can't add more then that.

XP-2 is a C-41 process film, and while you can develop C-41 films in conventional B&W chemistry, the results will often be disappointing at best. But C-41 is C-41 and it doesn't really matter who makes the chemistry for it. It's all pretty much the same as far as results go. There is even a kit with the chemicals in powdered form. You supply the warm water and save a few bucks in the process. Follow this link to a number of kits sold by B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&a=115_904&shs=&ci=582&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=14

Yes there was a kit for xp 1 Ilford. It was a C41 kit. The developer was diluted though because the time was 5 min or so, I don`t remember exactly, not the normal 3 1/4.

Experimenters of the era said to cut the regular C41 developer 1:1 with water and double the time.

Forgive me for being inexact, but this was 25 years ago.

Indeed, not very complicated but you need a stable temperature system to control the C41 chemicals on 37,8 degrees C (+/- 0,5).

Times are standard. We have in the Netherlands the excelent Amaloco C41 kits for 3x2 C41 films K50 or 4x (3X2 C41 films - K54) in mononegacolor technology. Working solutions can be kept for 3 weeks.

Simmular kits are offered by Agfa, Kodak and Tetenal.

Best regards,

Robert