Show me your screwups

Trent I asked for a showing.Can you show me nothing like the White horse in a snow storm? LOL

I think alot of people are afraid to show their Mess-Ups.... I can understand your's as nothing but what about the guy who opened his 35mm cassett with a knife and cut his finger addinf almost a pint of blood...... Ever hear about that one?

Larry

My worst film screwups are safely entombed in my negative archives, where no one will ever find them (even me!). Or, if they're from my 20D, they now reside in cyberhell.

Actually my best, or worst screwup never got recorded. First time out with my new Toyo 45CF field camera. Got everything set up perfectly for the shot (old barn in a daisy-covered field, green hills and white clouds in the background, perfect light), and I'm really starting to feel like Ansel Adams, here. I cock the shutter, grab the dark slide and pull it. Hmmmmm.....why am I seeing the emulsion side of the film through the ground glass........Dang! Wrong dark slide!

The reason I started this thread is I am teaching a younger generation about film..... I still make them.. do the rest of you... ?

Or do I just save mine... and as for digital... I an getting a K10d just waiting for it to hit the stores and the new firmware upgrade.

Larry<div>00IJpL-32794984.jpg.ff86665fd9db38f5ea1bda30a2eee01c.jpg</div>

I honestly can't remember any interesting screw-ups in b&w, altho' I'm sure I pulled some of the usual goofs as a kid just starting out: fixing before developing, turning on the light at the wrong time, exposing an entire bulk roll, etc. I distinctly recall once opening the back of my Miranda Sensorex before rewinding the roll of Tri-X. Fortunately most of the roll was okay. I think my last serious goof for a long while was at age 13. I don't have anything to show from those days long ago.

The worst I've done since then was committed on two consecutive rolls of Provia, around five years ago. Being a cheapskate, I tried to squeeze an extra frame or two from that expensive slide film. Apparently the leader popped loose from the takeup spool as soon as I closed the back on the F3HP. 95% of the time I'll check the rewind knob to be sure the film is advancing properly, even after several frames have confirmed it. Not on these two occasions, tho'. One shop charged me anyway for my mistake; my favorite lab didn't charge me anything.

Lex

I thought you were more of a Man/Woman than that. Sorry I don't take sex on the internet....

Saving my mistakes are great.... hell I am friends fith my exwife... but that is another story.....

No I think saving my mistakes helps me learn and others.. doing color is nice but I am into pure photography.. the color is just added to make others happy...

Lex you know you can post atleast 1 screw up....

Larry

I pour the developer into tank, closed it, shaking it, put it on table, counting some time and reversing it, and put it on table again, then wait a while see if the next agitation time is coming, ..... timer was not even connected. since then, I connect the timer first and set the time, then prepare the chemical and load the film. I guess I am getting old.

Decades ago, I'm at the only hot air balloon festival ever held in Central FL. It was a cool clear winter day so I've ducked out of work and talking with a friend who is a real newspaper photographer. I'm shooting a mechanical Canon F1 with 28mm lens and loaded with Ektachrome 64. There is some communication mess up and suddenly all the balloons go at the same time. We're surrounded by colorful balloons and in 20 seconds I think that I burn through 36 exposures. We congratulate each other for being in the right place at the right time and rewind film. I make two turns on the rewind knob and hear the leader slapping against the inside of the film canister. I did not get the film locked onto the take up spool. I just take the unexposed but rewound film and pitch it in the trash in disgust. The next day I see his spectacular photos in Florida Today (prototype for USA Today) and know I was there but blew it.

Several years later he was covering an "almost routine" space shuttle launch as local representative in a pool of pj's. The shuttle launches and he shoots about 30 frames and stops. Several hundred other photographers just hold down the motor drive and burn off 36-37 frames as the launch goes up. Everyone cheers. Twenty seconds later, the Challenger explodes and Mike shoots his remaining five frames as everyone else grabs their long lens camera to reload. Mike's photos make the cover of most dailys and magazines as there really are no others. I see his photo on the cover of Time and think why should I worry about my blowing a photo of a hot air balloon launch that he gets when several hundred first rate photojournalists blow the Challenger disaster and leave the shot to him.

Bob Michaels

Mnay years ago I was developing B&W film. I didn't pay attention to the temperature of the various solutions and wound up using a stop bath that was about 10 degrees higher than the developer. I soon learned what the term "reticulation" meant. The effect was artistic in an unintended way.

I'm just starting out with film development, usually I shoot digital.

So, first try, got the developer, got the fixer, cannister and so on.

Last time I've tried to get the film onto the spool in the dark, was in 1988, so I practised in the livind room with a small film strip first.

Everything was set up and ready to go in the bathroonm, lights off, get the film out, get the spool out....and start fiddling...

...and fiddling...

...and fiddling...

...and fiddling...

...and fiddling...

"this cannot be right" I told myself, and placed the film in the clean sink, taking the empty plastic film spool with me.

I needed to check out what the heck I was doing wrong, so I practised a bit more with a small film strip in the living room for a few more minutes until i got it right.

The whole apartment was dark, so there wasn't any real risk that the film would get light on it during my walkabout.

Thing is, I was fooled by muscle memory when entering the bathroom again, because I instinctively turned the light back on...... :P

First roll, black as night, but I went ahead with the development process anyways to get a practise round. (nothing serious conserning photography on it anyways, because I knew I could possibly cock up ;)

Another mess up I had, was when cutting a 36 frame roll for scanning and ended up with a single frame at the end, scanner requires atleast a 3 frame with to be able to scan a negative, so there I was, grinning like the fool I was. :)

(Fixed it with a bit of tape and some patience).

Regards

K

K

Nothing to show but sth to tell : in 2003 I broke my Paterson tank WHILE processing films. I kept on dev. and fixing them even though the liquid was dripping from the cracks and the light was slipping in... Needless to say the films were badly damaged but retained a nice "19th century-Gothic" : the TRI-X looked like it had been made from lizard skin rather than gelatin. It looked interesting on pix made of monuments (19th century again) but overall it WAS a disaster!

Hi everyone,

Love this thread! It's great reading everyone's screw ups. Here's a few of mine.

Morning after a long night drinking with some friends. Head's not quite right. Body isn't either. Took my Paterson Orbital tank- in three parts: base, cover and conical bit to pour liquids in. As always it was wet. So dried the parts separately and put it all in my large changing bag with my box of exposed 5x4 sheet film.

The sheets were of a good mate that's shortly going back to Brazil. So really important.

Loaded up 4x sheets. Emulsion side upper most. Sealed my box of exposed sheets. Popped the lid of the tank on. Checked the edges to make sure it was closed. And pulled my hands out.

I remember being mesmerized by one of the female BBC1 breakfast news reporters cleavage. Phwoar! Unzipped the bag, walked over to the sink by a large window, looked down and i could see 4 sheets of film looking up at me. GUTTED! Yup, i hadn't put the conical bit back in. I put them in the bin as i couldn't bear to develop them. Just in-case i found a good bit on the sheets.

I've also been lazy with my fix, didn't use enough Rodinal (1+200 standing dev, used 3ml for 4x sheets so it was exhausted), loaded sheets emulsion side down and whilst trying to lift up the sheets stuck to the bottom of the tank with my nails - slipped and scratched 1-inch off the sheet.

Another time, i'd used a different Paterson tank to dev some 120 rolls, and was used to using 590ml and just mixed everything up on auto-pilot. Processed film, washed and cracked the cartridge apart and had a lovely strip of barely developed film on one side.

Ooooh... used a well worn Jessops tank. Usually use this for 2x 35mm only, but this time used it for 120. For agitation instead of tipping it over and then righting it, i give it a quick upward and downward shake. This action had pushed the cartridge to the top of the shaft. So i had another nice strip of barely developed film!

I'm off to shoot under moonlight in a bit. If you're in the UK, there is no cloud cover and the moon is soooo low in the sky.

Alex

Just yesterday, I put the lead of a very precious HP5+ roll of 135 film shot in Paris a week

ago onto a Paterson reel for processing, and put the whole thing, plus tank and lid in the

changing bag. Right then the phone rang. After answering and talking for a few minutes, I

put my arms in the sleeves of the bag, ripped opened the cassette with a bottle opener

and started loading the film on the reel. Yes. Right. I had totally forgotten to close the two

zippers of the bag. Oh, my...