D-76 Use

brian_bott

I have been out of the b&w processing world for about 10 years. I

am going to be mixing powdered d76 (1 gallon) should I be further

diluting this before use or is it used straight as a stock

solution? I believe 1:1 after the original mix is correct but I

wanted to make sure.... Thanks for your insight

D76 can be used straight or in dilution , It has different effects on the film ,with different dilutions . Straight will give you more contrast and can be used for pushing. Diluted it will give lower contrast, and a little sharper grain. Just be sure and use the times for which dilution you use.

Stock solution will give far less grain with a very slight penatly in sharpness compared to 1;1, not enough to see in an 11x14. 1:3 will get pretty grainy and somewhat sharper. You need 4 oz stock to develope 80 sq in or a roll of 36 ex., but you still need enough to cover the film which is 8 oz in a stainless tank.

You need a 16 oz tank to use 1:3 dilition, 4 stock + 12 water.

I use Ilford ID-11 similar to D 76. I dilute the stock solution 1:3 because I'm cheap and I like to use it only once. Today I created some gorgeous engagement portraits with TMAX 100 and a Rolleiflex with a 2,8 Planar.

I can't vouch for the stock versus 1:1 versus 1:3 different characteristics but I sure can tell what wonderful images I can take with my Rolleiflex versus other equipment.

Just my thoughts for this evening!

Have a great week.

It's good stuff - very flexible. When I shot FP4 I used it at 1+3. I use it 1+2 with HP5. 1+1 does seem to be the most popular though. I've never noticed dilution having a significant effect on grain in my prints, but I only print 35 mm to 4x6 and 4x5 to 8x10. You'd need pretty sharp eyes to see an increase in grain at only 2x enlargement. I don't do 1+1 because I like somewhat longer development times and higher dilutions require less chemistry.

Chris

>>Stock solution will give far less grain with a very slight penatly in sharpness compared to 1;1, not enough to see in an 11x14

If we're talking 35mm, then that's probably a 7-9X enlargement. If you hold by that statement you're a brave man!

I've seen folks state that 1:1 to 1:3 has a grain penalty and little or no improvement in sharpness, but you're the first to state that straight vs. 1:1 didn't improve sharpness in a meaningful way.

But I'm intrigued - do you have any samples that are web-enabled?

D-76 contains sodium sulfite, which etches the grain edges to reduce grain size. That tends to reduce sharpness, by compromising the edge effect that contributes to crisp image outlines. It also reduces emulsion speed a little bit, since the grains are smaller. Larger grain is faster. That's why fast films are grainier than slow ones. You can make a fast film finer grained by etching the grain, but then it is not quite so fast any more. This is known as the TANSTAAFL effect (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). Diluting D-76 to 1:1 reduces the strength of the sodium sulfite, in turn leaving the grain relatively more intact. The grain is larger, the picture is sharper, and the film retains full emulsion speed. Diluting to 1:2 or 1:3 strenghtens this effect a bit more.

Pictorial photographers like the fine-grain effect of using the D-76 straight. Those looking for a sharper image at the expense of more grain, dilute the formula.