Need Help with HC-110 vs D76 1:1 with Tri X

andy_sprauer

We use HC110 solution b at 68 degrees for 6 to 6.5 minutes. The time difference relates to various students equipment . We have found the published times to be too high (in our working environment). As to the same look as D76 i don't have a clue since the last time I used that developer was in 1960.

Am sure someone else can provide details about d-76

1;45 from stock 4.5 min and agitation 5/30. Ei will be 200. You will get negs with copious shadow detail and they print easily on a condenser.Less grain than D76 1:1 at 400. Same tri-x look.

I have sent negs made this way to many for examination and they are always amazed. Try 6 exposures on the front of a roll. Pulloff 10 in and develope it.

1:45 from the syrup in the original bottle. That is in the US. European stock is different.

Measure with a syringe or 10ml grad cylinder. Accuracy is extremly important with high dilutions. Rinse the measuring container several times into the finished solution to get all the thick syrup out.

If you are new to HC110, I suggest you do a PN search on it. There are lots of tips.

I've begun using the Dilution H described by Michael Covington on his website:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

It's simply twice as dilute as the more familiar Dilution B and, in my observation, produces entirely comparable results. Dilution H has the advantage of allowing a little more breathing room (Dilution B is great if you're in a real hurry but now that I'm no longer a photojournalist I don't need my negs in five minutes). I just double the time to around 10 minutes, depending on temperature. I usually develop a little longer than others might for my Durst M605 dichro head. You might want to pull back a bit for your condenser.

I've always thought that HC-110 and D-76 produce results that are so little different from each other that it's not worth arguing over. I quit using D-76/ID-11 simply because I never used it very often and the stuff tends to vary in potency (or chemical activity, whatever is more precise) over a six month period, the typical time the stock solution would sit in my darkroom. HC-110 is simply more predictable.

I've compared my recent Tri-X negs developed in Dilution H to those developed 20 years ago in Dilution B, as well as some developed in D-76. I don't see any significant difference, from grain to apparent sharpness to shadow detail to overall tonal characteristics.