Jobo ATL-1500 Processor questions--spins when it starts?

I have a new Jobo ATL-1500 that I just finished hooking up. I have

read the manual twice but don't find the answer to this question:

When set to cleaning mode (what I was going to do to ensure proper

drainage), does the device start spinning the tank automatically?

When I turn it on in cleaning mode I see "CLEA" on the display and its

starts spinning the drum back and fourth. I would think it would be

stationary until you close the top.

Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't buy on ebay. Too many seriously broken ones on ebay (according to Jobo USA they look at ebay to know what's coming into their service department since the units are sometimes broken).

I decided to buy a new one. It took a while to get one since they had to make it in Germany. I know its a lot of money but I decided to buy a new one because I run through a lot of film and I wanted to control the process.

Its a great machine. Once I got drainage right (rule: always make sure the outflow pipe runs downhill. It doesn't like a dip in the line).

Too bad you bought an ATL-1500: It can't handle the 3000-series drums for sheet film: The 2509 sheet film reels suck Big Time.

BTW, I own a pair of ATL-3's, having bought the second one last month on eBay for $22.50!

Thanks for the heads-up on Jobo watching eBay for their processors!

• 1 year later...
Hey Dan, I use the 2509 4x5 sheet film reels exclusively in my ATL-1000 and haven't had a single processing problem. I shoot 4x5 reversal film all the time with a little B&W film as well. I bought my processor used from E-bay with a little hesitation. Luckily it works flawlessy and came with all the drums, reels and booklets. I love these machines. I wish I bought one sooner.