Minox and T-MAX 3200 Have you tried it?

jeff_drew4

Martin or anyone else:<p>

Have you tried TMAX 3200 or Delta 3200 at any of the high ISO settings like 1600 or

3200?<p>

I realize there are metering and developing concerns, and I'm interested in hearing

your tales. My self-assigned project is to exploit Minox at ISO3200. Grain & shadow

details etc; yes I am aware of the risks and the objective is get an image that is

scannable and have meaning - not "ART". After all, Minox IS a spy camera. What if

"they" had ISO3200 during WWII? Ponderous!<p>

Thanks!

I have (exposed at 1600). Prints are obviously grainy, but OK at small print sizes. It is useful to remember that TMZ and Delta 3200 have about the same amount of grain as 1950's Tri-X.

On a slightly larger scale, I use both TMZ and High speed infrared alot in my Tessina (the latter with "invisible" IR flash). As you say, the cameras were intended for discrete picture taking, not 16 x 20 exhibitions.

Martin, you are correct. However the design, my little beauties lend themselves to

being inconspicuous and quiet. My intentions are playful and candids etc seem more

spontaneous when a Minox is used. I have gotten terrific responses from friends and

strangers when the LX is in use vs. a clunky SLR. I'm headed off on one of my

tangents, but I learn as I go.<p>

How's the weather up in your direction?

Martin, Some day, maybe next spring, I have to head further in your direction and say

"hello!" My son & his wife + first cousins are scattered about the Detroit area and we

never seem to get past L. Huron. There are so many things to see in your direction,

we will get there eventually. FWIW: I am in Wisconsin at the junction of I-90 & I-94. If

you ever get this way, let me know. You are welcome - especially for "small" talk!

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an historic note, but what I've read leads me to believe full or half-frame 35mm was the preferred choice of spies "back then". Concealment was the big issue, but the larger negatives more than offset the bulk, if concealment was possible.

There were exceptions, notably the John Walker spy ring's use of Minox. However, I was in the USN at the time Walker and Whitworth were plying their trade. In fact, Whitworth and I were on the Constellation at the same time, though I didn't know him personally. He was a Senior Chief; I was an E4.

The main reason they used Minox is they had to bring a camera into the crypto room to photograph the key cards, and a camera the size of a Zippo lighter was easy to conceal in one's pocket, given that lots of people carried Zippos as matter of course.

That said, I saw lots of people with 35mm SLR's taking photos all the time around the ship, mostly flight ops to show the family back home. If a camera were permitted in his work area, I'm sure he would have used 35mm instead of Minox.

Being found with a Minox on a military installation back in the late '70's was tantamount to advertising one's secondary occupation.

• 2 weeks later...

check out

http://www.submin.com/8x11/collection/chadt/cameras/chadt_2002.htm

Sample photographs all taken at the Photokina 2002 with the Cam 2002 and the 800 ASA Fuji Nexia APS-Emulsion film: - Minox stand, cosmetics, kiss.

Taking available light photography is also the domain of the threatre and observing wild life. I have used 400 ASA film with room lighting, but regardless of the excercise I always found grain too much. With modern film the situation is very different.

Gerald