D70 View finder question

j la berge

I am looking at going digital with a D70, I have been reading alot

of posts about the size of the viewfinder, can any one compare it to

the N/F70 or the F100. There is not a photo shop in my area that

carries the D70 for me to get my hands on and try it out. Most of

the work I would be doing with it is outdoor with a tripod.

I tried a colleague's D70 during lunch today. The view finder is noticably smaller than that of my F100, but, as far as these things can be judged during lunch break, it did not seem to be too small. The camera felt sturdy, compact and responded very well. It does not feel like a 'digital F100', if that's what you're aiming at.

Maybe it feels like a 'digital F80', but I wouldn't know for sure since I don't have an F80.

I've been using D70 for few months now. The biggest problem I had with D70 is the manual focusing when the 500mm combined with 1.4X or 2X TC. I didn't have any problem with F100 and F5. Somehow it's almost impossible to make sure the bird in focus. I never had any problem with AF with 28-70 lens or 500mm alone. Good luck <br>

<a href="http://www.color-pictures.com" target="w-2">www.color-pictures.com</a>

Justin, I own both a F100 and a D70, and the difference is noticable. I love the on-demand grid lines on the D70, and the size of the finder is ok with me as far as composing is concerned (I wear glasses). So I am happy with the D70, but I don't manual focus with this body. I do so on my old F601, because AF is slow and unreliable, but AF on the D70 is so fast I never felt I needed it. Lock AF to the central field, that's it. I would probably be more concerned if manual focusing was an issue for me, but on the other hand, I don't know any DSLR in this price range with a finder as good as the one on the F100, so it's more about going digital and loosing the great F100 finder or sticking to film until a "true" D100 appears on the market. Hope this helps, happy shooting, Holger

Having tried out,not used,a D70 & own a F100 I find a considerable difference between the viewfinders.To my eyes the D70 finder is not usable!! I also tried out a D100 which is much better(brighter).The D100 however is becoming quite dated performance wise.I would wait for a D200 or whatever comes next or switch to Canon.

I have them both...D70 and F100. I love the F100 viewfinder and live with the D70s. That said, I have shot several thousand images with the D70 in the past few months. I recently cleaned the F100 because I plan to sell it. In fiddling with it I took a peek through the view finder. What a HUGE difference. I will live with the D70's finder until I go for the D2X or something with a "real" finder.

By the way, love the D70! Outstanding images.