what film is most used by current masters?

bing_huey1

Let's skip the flip semantics over who is or isn't a "master".

The only Sexton original prints I've seen were from TMX. They bore that distinctive TMX "look", which I like for certain purposes.

I haven't seen any Sexton originals from TMY tho' I have an 8x10 contact sheet from fellow photo.netter Kevin Borque that is fabulous - it receives more compliments than any of my own photos from visitors who see it on my wall (dammit!). I don't care much for enlargements from normally exposed and processed 35mm TMY (tho' it's one of my favorite films to push) but Kevin's print certain demonstrates the film's capabilities.

Tri-X still seems to be very popular, if not Number 1, among recognized fine art photographers who are represented by galleries. However there's generally a tendency toward little enlargement in order to minimize grain. These photographers are shooting either large format - no smaller than 4x5 - or, in the case of someone like Michael Kenna, printing no larger than 8"x8" from his 2.25"x2.25" Hassie negs.

There are some photographers shooting slower films but they're still facing the same challenges as always - motion blur from objects in the frame being blown around by the breeze.

So film choice is often a compromise based not necessarily on what the photographer would *prefer* to use as on what is *practical* to use under the conditions.

For that reason I don't shoot anything slower than ISO 100, even in 35mm. I like TMX, APX 100, Efke R100 and FP4+. If I was *really* concerned about grain I'd shoot large format.

Its not the type of film and developer ect that make you a "master", but yet how good your skills are at what you use. Most photographers just use the same exact film, developer, paper combo because that is what they have mastered and know how to use the best.

Just using a certain type of film will not give you the same great photographs like Sexton, Adams, Weston produced.

Ryan McIntosh

I think a master could take any film, developer combination and get the best possible results. I bet the film used would depend on the circumstances with a true master. BTW, what exactly are the criteria for being a master? I could be one and not know it.... Id like to see some of the greats pictures shuffled up in a pile with some ordinary good photographers for someone to separate without knowing who the photographer really is. Art is a very subjective thing.

There are as many "masters" using different films/developers as there are films and developers. Kenna uses Tri X last time I talked with him, of course Sexton uses TMX and TMY, Chip Hooper also uses TMX while Adam Jaheil uses any film he can get and dev in pyro. It's not the films that they use but their knowlege and their creative abilities. They use what they know best to get what they want for their efforts.

Jack:

<p>

<i>"Do painters really discuss paint, canvas and brushes?"</i>

<p>

Actually, yes they do. Photography is far from being the sole artistic area in which practitioners discuss equipment. Hang around musicians if you really want to hear equipment discussed beyond boredom. :)