What's your favorite lens ?

henry_ting2

pre-asph 50mm summilux, 35mm summicron version IV and that is because I have those lenses and cannot find anything wrong with them.... well the summilux is a black paint lens which is far and far to heavy. Perhaps I'll trade it in with my M7 for an MP and a summicron.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not quite pathetic enough to get all choked up about "soul of the lens" or somesuch nonsense, but my favorites were all 35s: the 35/2-R, 35/1.4-M ASPH, Nikon 35/2 AF-D, and now the Nikon 17-35/2.8 AFS (usually set at 24mm, roughly = 35 after 1.5x crop). I suspect that I have the same reason as Grant - it's whatever lens I happen to be using at the moment, but 99.99% of the time, the 35mm view is it.

I thought about this for a while and I can't pick one. It's like trying to pick whether my favorite footwear is my bedroom slippers, my sneakers, or my snow boots. Each one is my favorite where they work best. Maybe if I had multiple lenses in the same focal length for one camera, I could pick a favorite among them, but so far I don't.

i agree with grant. i have a bunch of CV lenses for my IIIF and a summitar and 35 summaron. am usually enthused about a particular lens for a particular project and then find i like another one and use that. right now tho i would have to say my canon 50/1.8 (still gloating because it is mint and i got it for 36$ off ebay, yuk, yuk)

1/ 1:1.4/80R Tonal gradation and sharpness to die for, but still not razor sharp 'till F2.0!

2/ 1:2.0/180 APO R Wide open sharpness. There is no reason to stop down except for depth of field.

3/ 1:1.4/35R Same as the 80mm

4/ 1/3.4/180 APO R Stunningly sharp. You have to accuratley focus even when the subject is several hundred metres away as the extreme sharpness of the lens is ony obvious on the subject in focus. Can't bring myself to sell it even though I hardley ever use it because I also have the 180 summicron.