Ilford 3200 or Neopan 1600 ?

fredus

Hi there,

So I was reading that the Ilford 3200 or Kodak TMZ are more like iso

800-1600 film while Neopan 1600 is considered a real iso 1600 film.

So which one should I take if I want to use these fast films under

low light condition ?? Should I pull Ilford or Kodak or should I use

neopan at 1600 ?

Thanks for your help in this. It's quite confusing ...

Fred

I havn't found Neopan to be a true 1600 speed film either. More on the order of 800-1000. You can definatly shoot it at 1600 and get good results, but shadows will be lacking. I havn't been able to get any better (than about 1000) with Ilford's offering either. After that it looks like a push to me, with little shadow detail and pretty large grain. I have little experience with TMZ, and I don't like it much, and it's also a push at 3200. For my money I'd take the Neopan for decent grain (large, but they all are) or Tri-X at about 1250 in Diafine for a similar result. Actually, I like Tri-X At 800 in D76 better than any of them, but if I need 1600, then the Fuji stuff.

Doesn't that depend on the development? I have here a sheet for agfa's refinal (what my lab uses) and that says, neopan 400 should be used at 320 speed, while neopan 1600 at 400(!) speed. Finally i've found out why my neopan1600 "underrated" at 1000 looks like sh!t. I'm so proud.

My experience is, Delta 3200 @ 3200 works best in hard light (street light, say), Neopan 1600 @ 1250 works better in softer light, in terms of contrast and tonality. Both I develop in Ilfotec DDX at 20C using whatever times are on the leaflet for their default speed.