Capacity of TMAX developer

sean_fitzgerald1

One time use unless you are trying replenishmet which I would not recommend.

For 250ml for a roll of 35 mm, mix 50ml developer with 200ml water. Throw away after use.

When first opening the new bottle, put the contents into smaller bottlers to limit contact with the air which spoils it. An alturnative is to add marbles to keep the level to the top.

I use 500ml (1:4) working solution in my two roll tank. I'm not really comfortable just covering the roll. The stock solution keeps for a very long time. I just mixed 500ml at a time and capped the stock bottle tight. I never had the stuff go bad. I use the tricks

mentioned above for my Xtol though. Tmax is a one shot dev. Use and toss for best results.

The Rat

Sean,

Because TMax is so sensitive relevant to develpment time I use a 1:9 mixture and have extended my developement time to apporoximately twice. Small errors in timing are not as important. A 5 to 10 second error, far larger than I am going to make, is insignificant at 10 minutes development time. An added benefit is that the developer does twice as much film. I use it one-shot, I mix the A and B components together and make my working solution from the mix. I find that the A + B mix has a shelf life of at least two months. I use TMax RS because I do roll and sheet film and sheet film requires the RS.

• 1 month later...

Basically, I follow the instructions of Kodak.

I use a 1 litre (roughly 1/4 of a gallon) solution at 1:4.

I developp at 24degres (Celcius)

Every 4 rolls, I add 1 minute to the developping time. This is on a base of 12 rolls, starting at 6 minutes (for Tmax 400).

Here is how is goes:

1 liter of 1:4 Tmax solution.

Developping Temp: 24 degres

Rolls 1 to 4 -> 6 minutes

Rolls 5 to 8 -> 7 minutes

Rolls 8 to 12 -> 8 minutes

---

So far, I am extremely happy with this solution.

Steph-

if you used TMAX RS, replenished--you can get about 6 mos. out of a gallon of it if you store it well, and you can put about 80 rolls through that if you replenish. I use it at work in a deeptank (several gallons) and we dump it every 4-6 weeks, but I have used it at home by the gallon, or even by splitting it in half and using 64 oz. The remaining becomes the replenisher. It's a pretty easy developer to monitor and replenish--you can pretty much eyeball your negs, it won't get all weird and funky like D76/D76R will.

The only problem with RS is that it likes to run at 75 deg. For some films, the times may be too short. If this is a problem, it is possible to add small amounts of 28% acetic acid to the dev & repl. and you can add about 20-40% to your time. It won't be a problem with the T Max films--they will all run at the same time more or less around 6-7 min.