What is going on? Kodak 400UC, 400UC Pro, 400UC B&W???

Ok, I am now thoroughly confused. In posts lately about Kodak 400UC

(Ultra Color) there are statements that at first seem to not make

sense but then the people who have made them are confirming them.<p>

The first is someone who says he bought Kodak 400 Ultra Color B&W.

That's right, <i>Ultra Color Black & White</i>. See here:<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=009qVL">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=009qVL</a> <p>

The next is someone who says she bought Kodak 400UC and Kodak 400UC

Professional. And that they were packaged together, as in a three

pack of the non-pro version with an extra bonus pro roll added-on in

some kind of promotional pack. See that one here: <p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=009rLt">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=009rLt</a><p>

According to what I have bought from my local pro shop, B&H and my

local Target, and from looking at Kodak's website and from what I

have been reading in the forums here, all I can see is that Kodak

Portra 400UC was changed to Kodak 400UC (Ultra Color) and that they

are one and the same only different new name and packaging. <p>

Yet, now people are saying there's a Kodak 400 Ultra Color <i>black

& white</I> and two versions of 400UC, a pro version and version not

marked pro. <p>

What's up here!?

Alan, Rob, I agree with you. But what you say is being challenged by other's statements. I asked these people to make sure what they are saying is right. They replied in reinforcement of what they said. So, according to one there is an Ultra Color B&W, he said the label says exactly that. The other says that there is TWO versions of 400 UC films. One profressional, another that does not designate professional---and that they were packaged together.

I'm not saying it exists, but 'Ultra Color B/W' is not as much an oxymoron as it seems. The C-41 chromogenics are essentially color neg films anyways with a monochrome dye-set.

Given the mentality of many photographers who continually display the trait of taking anything written on the box of film in a grocery store as being literal, I wouldn't laugh to much at such a marketing move. When you consider Kodak uses words like 'Bright Sun' on the box, they should add small text underneath that also says "now breath" for those who consider 'Bright Sun' a point of technical note.

Considering my debates with amatuer film shooters who angrily pronunce their stance on being apethetic towards better emulsions, I'm not laughing at this. I'm not sure what the packaging deal is with UC Pro vs sans Pro, but considering all the people who won't buy the pro film because "well, I'm not a professional".........you kinda get my drift.

Guys;

I have asked the person who made the post about UC B&W to read off the edge markings and post that for us. That might help further identify the film.

If someone out there has actually gotten such a film please post the Kodak edge marking information for all of us. I suspect that we will find out that it is either mis-identifed by the user, or misprocessed by the lab.

If we cannot identify it from the edge markings, then I can call a friend at EK and get the latest informaton to clarify matters.

Lets wait and see.

Ron Mowrey

I am looking at a box of WM-bought 400UC. It's sitting next to a box of B&H-bought

400UC. They are identical, aside from the rack tab on the WM box. Sitting next to them is

a box of BW400CN, which looks

strikingly similar to the boxes of 400UC. In fact, a quick glance might make someone

think they were seeing "BW400UC" instead of "BW400CN". I'm sure it's just a case of

mistaken

identity.