Is Al Kaplan going Digital?

al_kaplan1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>In academia, the term "anecdotal evidence" is most often used apologetically by those offering such evidence, and scornfully by those pointing out the inadequacy of such evidence.</i>

<p>

All that means is that the evidence is being presented in a rather raw state, for which the presenter is apologizing and the receiver is complaining. But any academic who thinks <i>anecdote</i> is a synonym for <i>wive's tale</i> is a fool. There's always been a struggle between the Apollonian and Dionysian, but to value one to the exclusion of the other is a mistake.

"But any academic who thinks anecdote is a synonym for wive's tale is a fool."

I never equated anecdotal evidence with wives' tales. But I did take issue with your claim that anecdotal and statistical evidence are considered equally valuable. After twenty years in academia, I feel quite qualified to state that you will have a hard time finding any academics to agree with that statement.

Well, I may be doing that, to an extent. Kevin. That's because I can't really teach you the scientific method via the internet. But here's a question: Why do you think the FDA runs large-scale clinical drug trials instead of just licensing a drug based on success with one or two patients (i.e, licensing on anecdotal evidence)?

I'll give you the answer: because anecdotal evidence isn't worth much.

"Why do you think the FDA runs large-scale clinical drug trials instead of just licensing a drug based on success with one or two patients (i.e, licensing on anecdotal evidence)?"

Douglas. The FDA doesn't run clinical trials, the drug companies do, because they are required by the FDA. And even the large trials are not a guarantee of the safety of the drug. For example, a drug can be approved based on a trial or trials in a specific group of individuals, but it may then be prescribed to others without knowing that there is a subgroup of people in whom the drug is dangerous. This seems to be the case with Vioxx, which increases the number of cardiovascular events in men with other risk factors.

The value of anecdotal evidence is that it may suggest a hypothesis that can then be tested, not because a definite conclusion can be made based upon a few anecdotes.

Douglas, the scientific method, as I remember learning it, is the <i>attempt</i> to remove human biases and prejudices from the process of observation, right? The better the experiment is constructed, the more reliable the data will be, etc.. But it's always just an attempt, isn't it, and therefore the possibility for error must be assumed, correct? I'm not saying, by any stretch, that one yokel's eyewitness account equals a two-year clinical trial, but to <i>completely</i> dismiss the one is to some degree a product of group arrogance towards outsiders rather than some lofty ideal. Your own native bias, in other words.

<p>

Dennis' original point appears entirely valid, as does yours. If individuals aren't keeping their cars as long, yet cars themselves are on the road longer, that simply means that a car will have more owners over its lifetime.

BTW, Douglas, I'm not "pretending" that I'm something I'm not, or that I know something I don't know. I'm recalling what I learned in school and making my own stab at the scientific method, flawed as it may be. I apologize for mangling any words I borrowed from your lexicon.

I knew a guy like you back in high school, Ray (anecdotally speaking)... always wanting to fight. I'll have you know that a recent study by the Department of Health and Human Resources recently concluded that an anecdotal study funded by the Endowment For The Arts was entirely incorrect in its conclusion that artists remember 68% of anecdotes pertaining to incidents that are the same or similar to their art work. So there...! Look, Ray, when you've been slinging bullsh*t as long as I have then come back and we'll talk. ;>)

Reespectfully yours,

Dennis

Yeah ,we need the latest and greatest. Buckets of money make us the best: and and and on. Lets be honest, real photographers need 90 million pixels at least,well, until 100 million pixels arrive.

Are we doing the leica fondlers in reverse here. Have a little think with the grey matter...strain that lonely place.

Old brown bread HCB didn't need all the pixel wonder stuff, did he!

Anyone better around here. Have a little think.