Purchase Ilford film.

I dont quiet understand what you mean, but I assume your thinking of buying alot of Ilford film since chances are they are going under. Just buy whatever you think you need to last you however long of what type of film you like (or usually use). I would say FreeStyle is the cheepest, and they might cut you a deal too if you buy alot.

Then just save the film in your freezer.

As Ronald indicated long term storage of faster films may not be practical. For example, ultra fast films such as Delta 3200 can't be protected from fogging simply through freezing. The film must be shielded from radiation that penetrates Earth's atmosphere. However I've had Delta 3200 in a conventional refrigerator film a year that showed no evidence of fogging.

I'd probably stock up on slower films such as FP4+ and Pan F+ for long term storage. If I wanted to stock up on HP5+ as well I'd plan to use it within approximately five to 10 years; Delta 3200 within two or three years.

Also, older stocks of fast films can sometimes be used without excessive fogging when downrated and processed for less time in a developer known for resistance to producing fog. For example, Diafine - while one of my favorite developers for use with fresh film - is a terrible choice for developing old film; it produces horrendous fogging. Microphen is a good choice and, reportedly, so is HC-110.

<i>The higher the speed, the shorter the storage frozen or not.</i><p>

This is not necessarily true and I would certainly not hesitate to stock up on higher speed films. A quote from an earlier post by David Carper:

<p>

<i>Aging of film is not dependent on the speed of the film. While it is generally true that faster films will show age effects sooner than slower films, there are slow films that age quickly, and fast films that age slowly.</i>

<P>

For something like HP5+ I would personally be happy stocking a 10 year supply if it was kept in the deep freeze.

I have used Ektachrome 400 that was kept in a freezer over 10 years and it looked as good as it did when it was new. Of course, when it was new it looked pretty awful, but it didn't look any worse for the time frozen.

I don't shoot as much as many of you but I have over 350 rolls of my favorite Ilford films stocked up right now. I expect that will last me for some time.

<i>Why didn't you just buy a bunch of 100 foot bulk rolls instead?</i>

<p>

Dave, that approach may have been cheaper but buying B&W film in China (where I live) is

hard enough; finding Ilford products is substantially harder; and finding bulk rolls is most

likely next to impossible.

<p>

..however, the locally made freezers are damn cheap! :))<div>009Nyv-19493284.jpg.bea4c03e92f06df486bf2e3d75fea293.jpg</div>

Hm, i thought of something. What if the whole Ilford thing is not true; they just said they have problems, to make all the crazy photographers realize how important Ilford is - and to make them buy huge loads of film ;)

Seriously, i'd be curious how much the sales of ilford's products increased in the last month.

I love Delta 3200 and Pan F 50. So for the Pan F 50 I just ordered and received 10 100' Rolls from B&H and 40 rolls of the 3200 all on ice now. Next month I am going to order 10 more rolls of the 50 ice then and 40 more of the 3200 for a total of 80 on ice. Not that 80 rolls of 3200 will last forever, I will probably shoot thru it in 6 months, and the 20 100' rolls wil1 last a good 2 years. Hopefully, they will not go under and if they do there is away Maco 25. Maybe Agfa will come out with a 50....

Have a great day !

All of the ILFORD films will freeze quite well, but the Delta 3200 will have the shortest lifespan. Freezing slows the normal aging, but does nothing to prevent fogging due to cosmic radiation, which affects only the very fastest films. I would expect most films, if frozen, to give very good results for 10 years or more, but the Delta 3200 should not be expected to last more than about 5 years.

Paper should also last a good long time. Just be sure with either film or paper to allow it to warm fully before opening the package.

David Carper

ILFORD Technical Service