Tri-X Developer for tonality

"Depends on what you mean by "measurable". Obviously folks like Salgado, Ralph Gibson, etc. find Rodinal suitably impressive for what they do with tri-x, and some of the characteristics they value it for could arguably be measured."

Like which ones? Graininess is measurable, so I suppose that if you like grain, Rodinal might be a good choice, but there are other developers that will give similar grain without the loss of film speed. All developer formulae represent a compromise among the competing characteristics of film speed, sharpness, and grain. Rodinal sacrifices film speed and grain for sharpness. Other developers are sharper than Rodinal, give finer grain, and full emulsion speed. If you like grain, and Rodinal is sharp enough, then you're only sacrificing emulsion speed. Of course, if you like the "tonality", then no sacrifice is too great. I didn't mean to suggest that one must use the best developer available to get the results that one wants anymore than I would suggest that those same results could not be had by using a number of other developers. If Rodinal is giving you the results that you want, there is no reason to change to another developer, and there is no reason to believe that there aren't better developers available.

Jay

Mike--

As long as you have Xtol and Rodinal on hand, try this for the Tri-X at E.I. 200, to combat the Xtol muddiness some have referred to (assuming a 500mL mix):

--100 mL water

--400 mL Xtol stock

--4 mL Rodinal.

Start your testing with about 9 minutes at 75 F.

--Sam Elkind

Jay,

I'm right with you. Tonality is the ONLY reason I can see to use Rodinal. Well, that and it's long lived. The vast majority of decent modern developers will give more speed or finer grain or better acutance and some will give two or even three of these desirable characteristics.

Cheers,

Roger

Ahh, but Roger, isn't tonality enough of a reason?

And don't forget the other reasons to use Rodinal: cost, convenience and it's ability to strip that purple color crap out of my film.

Speed, no problem, I usually shoot with a tripod.

Grain, again, no problem. I shoot medium format slow films like APX 100 and my ever-shrinking supply of APX 25. When that's gone I'll go to Efke; not much 35 these days.

Acutance? Well I'd be hard-pressed to tell what developer did what print when held side by side.

That's just my way of shooting and you are correct about Rodinal and its faults. I also use pyro, divided devs., and some silver-solvent devs. But, as we all know, there is no perfect dev., just ones that get us close to where we want to go with an image. I find Rodinal a good way to go with a lot of my work. Other folks shoot differently and that's why there are many other kinds of devs out there.

I enjoy the articles, keep writing them.

I think Scott E. had it right the other day when he said, "If I want the 'Tmax look' I'll

shoot Tri-X and under-expose. Some of the images I see posted on photo.net from the

TMX films shot under over-cast skies are the most tonally wretched images I've ever

seen."

Not sure what you specifically mean by tonality and I rarely use 35mm but for what it's worth I'll share my experience using 120 TriX. I've noticed a significant increase in seperation of midtones using Xtol, single roll in a double reel tank, filled to half way mark and applying increased agitation.

Thank you, Dave, for making my point. None of us are exactly sure what is specifically meant by "tonality", which is what makes it so useful for extolling the virtues of a pet developer, or criticizing the work of another photographer, and so useless in making informed decisions about the working characteristics of our materials.

Jay