Looking for filter solution up to 95mm ring size

juke

I recently purchased 40mm wide lens for my Bronica-SQ. My problem is

that this lens has huge 95mm filter ring size. All my other lenses has

67mm size.

Now I am looking for good hints what should I do with filters. I shoot

mostly Black&White, so I need at least yellow (K2) and red (25)

filters. Probably I could have use for graduated filters too when

shooting color landscapes occasionally.

For 67mm size I have lot of good glass filters and then no-so-good

Cokin P-system with various filters (main problem with cokin is flare

when shooting against bright lights or sun. It's really useless in

such situations).

I have thought following options so far: I can either try Cokins

X-serie filters which has 95mm adapter or I could buy minimum set of

multicoated glass filters (B+W or Hoya) for that 40mm wide lens.

Because glass filters for that size are really expensive, I have

thought more and more Cokin's X-serie. (Lee could be also option, but

it has no importer in my home country).

Any first hand experiences with X-serie? Are they as flare sensitive

as smaller P-serie's plastic pieces are? How is optical quality?

Any other suggestions?

The X-Pro series is just a scaled up version of their other filters. They are still resin filters and not perfectly flat (you can see that by looking at them from an angle) and scratch easily.

Still, used judiciously, they aren't horrible. I have a couple of the X-Pro graduated grey filters that I use from time to time. In general I've been happy with the results, but I'm seriously thinking about painting the Cokin bellows hood... I don't know why they made it red.

Otherwise, my other regular use filters are 95mm screw in filters that I use on all various lenses via step up rings.

Jukka

I too have that same lens and the same problem. I found that the Cokin P filters will fit inside of the scallop hood of the lens with just a small portion of the corners sticking out beyond the lens. I place a rubber band around the lens and loop the rubber band over two opposite corners of the filter. It holds the filter in place. I seems to work OK and it is an easy solution until you can figure out how to overcome the price of 95mm filters.

Brian

Jukka,

I have same exact lens. Lee makes a filter holder specifically for this lens. On the Robert White web site it's refered to as a"98mm Push on Filter Holder to fit Bronica PE and PS zoom lenses and PS 40mm lens" 76 British Pounds)

The 98mm version was not available when i bought mine, so I use Lee's 100mm version push on filter on my 40 PS lens. It's slightly too big for the 40PS, but I adjust by wrapping a wide rubber band around rim to give it that extra 2mm of bulk.

I highly recommend Lee Filters, they make some really nice ND graduated filters with no color cast to your image. Their customer service, from my experience, I can say is outstanding.

PS: For a general UV filter for this 95mm lens thread, I use a cheap 95-105 step up ring, a $20 105mm multicoated Russian Hartblei UV filter (Available on Ebay for as little as $5 somerimes), and a 110mm Schneider push on lens cap over this, because my normal Nikon 95,, uv filter was touching the front element of my 40PS.

Brian,

Thanks for the tip with the rubber band. I'll keep that in mind for my 40mm S lens. By the way, the PS lens doesn't have the built in hood like the older S lens, so one would be able to use a universal filter holder like the Lee, Cokin, etc.

For 95mm filters, I've just built up my collection by hunting around and any small camera store I visit and watching online auctions for bargains. It took a while, but I've put together a good collection, usually for about $10 to $30 per filter. The polarizer was the most expensive at about $60.

Nikon used to make 95 mm filters for some long-discontinued zoom lenses.

They are excellent quality and RELATIVELY inexpensive. FWIW I paid about

$45 each for medium yellow and orange and $25 for medium red (with a tiny

scratch. I also picked up a Russian green filter for about $20. I use these on

Zeiss Jena 50 mm Flektogon and 180 mm Sonnar lenses (with an 86 to 95 mm

step up ring--86 mm filters tend to vignette on the 50 mm and I don't want

BOTH 86 and 95 mm lenses too haevy and too expensive to have that much

duplication).