three chemicals at the ready in a try of ice water with a thermometer

in the developer. Once the developer hits 68 I start processing while

taking the ice out of the try. Is it ok for my stop bath and fix to

slowly warm up while the development is taking place? I just cannot

see an easy way to keep all three chemicals at 68 for the whole

process. Any tips?

Thanks,

Marc

It'd probably be perfectly fine to just process at the 72 F you get from your faucet, and adjust your developing time for the temperature. With most developers, you'll need to cut your time by about 15% to 20% for that much temp difference; if that puts you under five minutes, you might also find it advantageous to dilute your developer more to lengthen your process time, though many workers have reported fine results with dev times as short as 3.5 minutes (I did it myself once, about 30 years ago, at around 90 F, but I don't think I'd enjoy trying it again now).

Letting the temp creep up as the process goes probably won't hurt anything as long as its only a couple degrees -- your water bath ought to keep it from being any worse than that -- but if you don't mind some extra prep, you can probably get everything, including the bath stabilized and the temp won't creep up noticeably in twenty minutes from pouring the dev to finishing the fix. Include a gallon jug of distilled water in the bath, and use the Ilford wash method, and you should be able to get from dry to hanging the washed film within a couple degrees. Creeping up more than five degrees or so risks reticulation...

What developer/dilution and other chemicals are you using? As mentioned, if it is feasible with your materials, a simple change to an easier temperature might solve your issues. I have the opposite problem with a basement darkroom in my northern climate being <68 for most of the year.

Make a water bath from a processing tray. Fill with water and ice and remove the ice at 68 deg. Recheck temp after five min. Place the tray on another upsidedown tray to minimise heat transfer from the coumter warming the bath. Place the chemicals in the freezer for 5 min. They will go down in a short time. If you go a little too low, warm water will bring them right up.

Keep the chemicals in the water while processing. Use the same size bottles filled to the same level and take your temp from the developer. The others will be close enough. Keep a thermometer in the process tray and add a small ice cube to tweek the temp if you have to do so. A little ice water will help too.

Higher temp processing will give slightly coarser grain.

You can also keep some photo water in the frig at all times and use the cool water to dilute the developer to achieve the proper temp. I the developer is at 74 and you are are usin 1:1, mix the developer with 62 deg water and you end up at 68. Prechill the mixing vessel and the film tank to keep from warming the developer when transfering liquids.

Another trick is to drop an ice cube into the developer and pull it out at 68. Use a dial thermometer to do this. Don`t use cool water as it dilutes the developer too much. Most of the cooling takes place when the ice changes phase to water at 32. There is little dilution.

Fix can be mixed slightly strong and cooled with ice directly. Liquid developers can be coolEd the same way.

Hi Marc,

I process either at 68 or 75 depending on the time of the year. I keep a couple ice packs in

the freezer to cool things down. I use a digital thermometer to quickly read what my

temps are. Get the Ilford temp. conversion chart (mentioned by another poster). If you

want more control than that, look on epay and get a PhotoTherm temperature control

bath. I got mine for about $30.<div>009gVT-19906184.jpg.6cba52032d2842df5df2d173f9038632.jpg</div>

I read a thread somewhere on photo.net about developing on room temperature in tropical countries. All of them said it worked fine for them, and it works fine for me on 27 degrees C (should be around 78-79 F). The thing is, if you establish a correct time with a higher temperature, just in case the chemicals get colder than that in the winter, it is always easier to heat them than to cool them down to 20C (68F) and keep them constantly on that temperature in the summer, especially if your tap water just doesn't get that cold. I think everyone can easily get 27C water from the tap, in which they can put the tank for the entire process to keep the temperature constant, and only take it out for agitation. There are also some developers that work better on higher temperatures.

Unless the difference in temp. between developer and stop/fix is greater than 10F, I wouldn't worry about keeping all three exactly the same. Use the chart (Ilford has a good one, the one from digitaltruth might be easier to read) and save the ice cubes for your drinks.

My developer, stop and fix are all at room temp, which varies from 75F to 60F depending on the season.

I develop lots of film at and around 72F, as long as you compensate for the time (and your fix/stop is close to the temp of your developer) you'll be golden. And you'll have more ice cubes for your drinks too.

Oliver; For a while I was shooting a lot of 120 Ilford Delta 400 and souping it in PMK. My old thermometer was off by 10 degrees Fahrenheit (didn't know it at the time). About 14 rolls of film were processed with that thermometer and I loved the results. It made me rethink my development strategy :) Used Kodak thermometer for $2.. No wonder...

Thanks for the advice guys. That Photo Therm bath appeals to me. I'll have to keep an eye open for one.

I've always known that a couple degrees in either direction is ok, but with some of my developing times stretching beyond 10 minutes, I really have no idea what the temp inside the tank is after a couple minutes. I keep it in the tray between agitations, but still, I can see myself getting bogged down trying to keep the water at 68 that I neglect to agitate correctly. The Ilford chart a couple of you mentioned also would help. I didn't see such a thing last time I visited their site so if someone would kindly send it or a link to I'd appreciate it. Send to daliscrutch@yahoo.com

Thanks again,

Marc

It's also a good idea to keep these variations in temperature in

perspective. My temperature control method, now that I'm away from

the temperature controlled taps in the darkroom I use back home, is

this: I fill up a bunch of 1.5 litre bottles with tap water, and let

them sit in the bathroom overnight. They're going to be pretty

close to room temperature, and when I dev. the tank will heat up,

but it should be more-or-less the same each time. I'm not using a

spot meter for many of my shots, so subtle variations in temperature

are inconsequential. I'm also printing on multigrade paper. If you

ARE using a spot meter, zone system (with sheet film), and printing

on graded paper, of course, the developer temperature makes a much

larger differnce.

Here in Miami, Florida I've been developing at whatever the tap water temperature happens to be for years with no problems. In the summer this ocasionally gets up to 78 or 80 degrees. I stand my bottles and tank in in a tub of slowly running tap water to stabilize temperature. Sometimes when it's really hot and I start at the end of the day I'll dilute my D-76 with water chilled with ice and put a few ice chips in the fixer bottle to speed things up.