What are you reading these days?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<<Your brother's a lawyer, right Jay? I'll bet your Mom still loves you just as much as him, though. I mean it's no shame to be a dental technician.>>

That's true, and I respect them highly. But I already posted a scan of my dental license, so you've just made a fool of yourself...again.

Kevin M,

Lighten up, for god's sake. The first two books Jay mentioned are legitimate and are certainly appropriate to the Leica forum. I think it is wonderful that Duncan is still alive -- as a WW2 marine and a Korean War photog, he has had enough adventures for several lifetimes - he is one of my heroes. The other selections were made with a light and witty touch. We all have a tendency to overreact here.

House of Bush, House of Saud by Craig Unger

Ben Hogan (An American Life) by James Dodson

Baghdad Express: A Gulf War Memoir by Joel Turnipseed

Bush Must Go: The Top Ten Reasons Why George Bush Doesn't Deserve a Second Term by Bill Press

The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill by Ron Suskind

Photo-related nonfiction: Armed with Cameras: The American Military Photographers of World War II, by Peter Maslowski.

Other nonfiction: Seeing in the Dark: How Amateur Astronomers Are Discovering the Wonders of the Universe, by Timothy Ferris

Through the Grand Canyon from Wyoming to Mexico, by Ellsworth Kolb.

Political nonfiction: Democracy in America, by de Tocqueville (re-reading for first time since college)

Fiction: The Godfather, by Mario Puzzo (for second time)

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

"Jamie: Is that Lisette Model book still in print?"

Bill, I just had a look over at abebooks.com and see a clean copy is selling for 75.00USD and up, so, no I guess it's not in print. The book is actually a catalogue for a Model show that toured in the early 90's. Highly recommended, about 100 pages of photos and text, then another 100 pages of photos only. Model sounds like quite a character, what was the class like?

I have jsut finished up:

<br><i>The Poisonwood Bible </i>by Barbary Kingsolver

<br><i> DTVI - Song of Sussanah</i> by Stephen King (hardcore SK fan since I was 12)

<p>

I am currently reading:<br>

<i>History Lessons: How Textbooks from Around the World Portray U.S. History</i> by Dana Lindaman & Kyle Ward

<p>

Next on my list is:<br>

<i>Good Omens</i> by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

Oh, and I read NG, Real Simple, Budget Living, Budget Travel, & LensWork<p>

I also sit in Barnes & Noble & read books on local stuff while enjoying a cuppa joe. Lately I have been jotting notes from the Photoshop CS Bible & Real World Photoshop CS. Barnes & Noble's air conditioning is better than mine :-)

After reading for eight hours a day, five days a week at work, I'm lucky to get through the weekly Amateur Photographer and maybe a Carl Hiassen novel. Can't believe our Florida members haven't appeared in them yet. Or have they?

Trying to get through Marc Reisner's "Cadillac Desert" again

Read Camus' <i>The Outsider</i> last week. I'm in the middle of Joyce's <i>Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man</i> right now, though I took a break from it to read Steinbeck's <i>Tortilla Flat</i> on my visa run to Japan a couple of days ago.

Olivier, IP chains is actually quite simple (and fun!) as long as you aren't writing hundreds of lines for hundreds of networked computers. We're going to change back our gateway from IP tables as IP chains is actually more suitable (due to session time-outs and crap like that). I might even look into IPFW for Solaris just for a kick. ;-)

<br /><br />

Heather, nice going! I mean, they're just <em>inviting</em> you to exploit the system! :-)

<br /><br />

Martin, you might appreciate that I read some of Chuang-Tzu's writing recently. What he wrote is amazing, and he put into words ideas which I haven't been able to express and refine properly. Recommended for all!

<br /><br />

Trevor, interesting, though apart from the Bible itself I know very little about church-specific literature save for the 39 articles. I guess the Prayer Book is mainly instructions for clergy on what to do and when?

The last book I read was Dude Where Is My Country by Michael Moore. Now I am near the

end of The River at the Center of the World by Simon Winchester (highly recommended!).

On the plane tomorrow I'll be flipping through the Lonely Planet guide to Tokyo.