What are you reading these days?

like one commenter indicated above, after reading for my job (almost) 8 hours a day, reading at home is actually a chore.

That said, I cant seem to stop picking up Robert Frank's, "The Americans"..........and not just for the images. That whole idea of travelling the country, long term, with a cam is starting to fascinate me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread! Can you imagine what Carl Hiassen would do with our Florida members?!!! We need more blue-tongued voles. Jamie: As I recollect--this was 40 years ago!--Model's class was pretty straightforward: get out and shoot, come back and we'll talk. I'd like to think some of it stuck. I took another course with Joe Breitenbach, a German photographer on the staff of Life. The New School was--is--a treasure. Raymond: Thanks for the reminder about Simon Winchester--I love his work.

Charles Fayette Taylor - <I>The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, Vol. 1 and 2</i><P>

Graham Robson - <I>Cosworth</i><P>

Don DeLillo - <I>Americana</i><P>

David Foster Wallace - <I>Infinite Jest</i><P>

Douglas R. Hofstadter - <I>G�del, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid</I><P>

Anton Szandor Lavey - <I>Satanic Bible</i>

FWIW, Photo book = Germaine Krull, Avantgarde als Ebenteuer (available at

a bargain price from the Serpentine Gallery in London right now)<p> Just

bought a friend Photo Nomad, great photos, shame about the typos, and the

text running over the photos. <p>

Non-fiction = Rembrandt by Simon Scharma, and Gibbon's Decline and Fall

Of The Roman Empire and about to start Colossus by Niall ferguson. Recently

finished Atomised and Mystery Of the Black Dog.... Currently reading and

enjoying seeing Jay's posts antagonise people, whether or not he has a

certificate.

George, Invitation to a Beheading is probably my favorite novel of all time. Are you

enjoying it?? Nabokov is a master of absurdity, not to mention the English language...I am

trying to make my way through the original Russian version right now, but as a second

language, I get a bit less of the beauty and nuance of the language than I do in his English

version.

<P>

Anyway: Photo book: Ansel Adams, the Negative. My first time through the series. It is

excellent.

<P>

Non-photo book: One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Marquez <P>

Academic works: A bunch on Shinto, Buddhist and Christian relations in Meiji Japan.

Ian wrote:

for fiction, i have been reading haruki murakami: 'wind up bird chronicle', which restored

my faith in modern literature, and now 'norwegian wood' and 'wild sheep chase' - i can't

recommend him highly enough.

Haruki Murakami is AWESOME. You've read some good ones. Try Hardboiled Wonderland

and the End of the World next. ;-)

Not all Murakami is surreal, but if you're in that mood after you've finished all his stuff,

also try

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges, The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, The Trial by Franz

Kafka, and The Bridegroom was a Dog by Yoko Tawada.

And to answer the question Lee asked, I'm currently reading a two-volume Congressional

Quarterly thing about Watergate. ;-)

Jay,

If the "Leica: Witness to a Century" book you refer to is the recent one by Alessandro

Pasi, I would be grateful if you could tell me about the reproduction values of that

book. For example, I happen to know it contains a colour photo of two men (father

and son?) in conversation at a caf頴able, with light streaming down from above. How

large is this photograph in the book, and how good is the print quality? I am thinking

of buying this book, but would like to know how good the photos are before doing

so.

>Ian wrote:

>for fiction, i have been reading haruki murakami: 'wind up bird chronicle', which

restored my faith in modern literature, and now 'norwegian wood' and 'wild sheep

chase' - i can't recommend him highly enough.

>Haruki Murakami is AWESOME. You've read some good ones. Try Hardboiled

Wonderland and the End of the World next. ;-)

>Not all Murakami is surreal, but if you're in that mood after you've finished all his

stuff, also try Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges, The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, The

Trial by Franz Kafka, and The Bridegroom was a Dog by Yoko Tawada.

Yeah, Murakami is on my list next. "Labyrinths" is very good--but go for the gold and

pick up Borges' "Collected Fictions".

Just finished Orwell's "1984". Very appropriate for this day and age. Also reading

Naomi Kline's "No Logo". Sick, very sick.

Two weeks ago it was "The Corporation". There is a documentary out on it by the

same filmaker that did "Manufacturing Consent".

Hmmm, I need some fiction...

Jon wrote: "Hmmm, I need some fiction..."

If you haven't read Jurassic Park yet, I seriously recommend it. It is not a crappy throw-away excuse for a movie deal. It is much much more absorbing than the film which is based on it.

Disclosure is also a good read, but a bit lighter.

Olivier, just for you:

ipchains -A input -s 127.0.0.1 -p icmp -j DENY

:-)