Techniques for Long-Term, Cold Storage of Unexposed Film?

Hi, All,

Can folks provide ideas of how best to store and refrigerate

unexposed film for extended periods? (Such as storing 120 B&W film

for five to ten years?)

For example, is it adequate to just use air-tight plastic bags stored

in the bottom of the household fridge? Are there better containers?

Are there small, not too expensive refrigerators on the market? How

long can I expect the film to last?

I've seen a few related posts on this, but I'm hoping for more

specifics.

Thanks!

Robt.

What about you start by calculating how much electricity the fridge eats in five to ten years

and figure out how many rolls you can buy for that money. That's valid unless, of course,

if you have some film that isn't made anymore.

You can find small fridges for under $200 in which you can easily fit, I'd say, at least 100

-150 rolls. It eventually reaches a constant lowest power consumption if you use it only

for long term storage, i.e.: if you don't open the door too often. Look for dry ones. They're

more expensive but you won't have to empty them a few times a year to take off the ice,

the formation of which is as well in connection with how many times you open the door,

hence letting humidity in.

As for containers, I'd wrap them in plastic bags which I'd pack in Tupperware-style plastic

containers. Of course, that becomes problematic in smaller fridges as the containers

themselves take the space of many many rolls. You'll see as you pack it.

>>>> >> How long can I expect the film to last?

See the spec sheets.

Use the freezer, not the fridge. Place them in zip lock baggies if want to. I use four year old Provia and EPJ without any noticeable effects. Remove from the freezer and let it climatize in it's plastic container for 20 mins to prevent any condensation that may occur.

I just put it on one side of the chest freezer which we have in our unheated garage - factory packing is air-tight, so the only need for plastic bags is for "filing" loose rolls. It lasts a LONG time -- I am stll using high-speed infrared film which "expired" in 1997, and 5-year old Konica 3200 and Ilford Delta 3200 seems to have survived the cosmic rays which other posters will tell you about just fine.

Of course, living in interior Alaska, most of the year the freezer doesn't use any power :-)

I guess the best for various reasons would be a chest freezer that doesn't self defrost. The chest stays cold when you open the lid. The defrost cycle raises the temp of the unit causing temp swings and wasting power.

The Agfa film I get tends to have a best before date 4-5 years out into the future. That doesn't assume freezing either. With freezing the stuff will keep much longer. How long? Depends on things like film speed.

Strive to buy the same emulsion number for a group of rolls. Use the freezer. Allow long time to dethaw; more so in humid areas. Dont open film rolls before usage. Avoid weird chemicals. Some will ruin film. Keep a log of what is there; along with your aunts xmas cookies from the Nixon era :) Super fast 800 asa and 1200 asa film poop out faster; than slow asa 25 stuff. Background radiation adds base fog. It will add a tad in asa 800 stuff in a decade; but nil in asa 6 lith films. Here I have some stuff frozen since Nixon was chief. A roll of Verichrome 620 from 1970 has less fog than tri-x. ASA 5 stuff from the 1970's has little fog. ASA 1250 Royal-X from the early 1980's has alot of fog. The fog reduces the effective asa/iso; since iso is measured with respect to exposure required about the films natural background. Having rolls of teh same emulsion number and date means they age together as a group. Your own test in 2014 might show that your stashed ACME 400 is really say 250.

Wow, Kelly stores film longer than I have! I loaded a bunch of Pan-F and XP1 from bulk in 1983 and 1984. I'm just now finishing the last few rolls, and they're just fine after 20+ years. Stored in the freezer section of a spare fridge.

I'm thinking of doing this all over again now...

The slow-speed B&W films last forever. I am using Panatomic-X 120 film that expired in 1990 and 1991, and it is fine. Each roll was sealed in a foil pouch at the factory, so they are air tight. I make sure to thaw them many hours at room temperature before I open the foil. I also use 5-year-old Kodachrome 25 that has been frozen, and it looks fine, too.

I have used 12 year old 120 fujicolor film and got very nice results. I always reduce the speed by half for frozen old film. You may notice an increase in contrast with film frozen for a very long time. I use two ziploc bags and then sometimes also place them in a container. When film gets very old, I use it for snapshots at home and have it developed at inexpensive labs since most likely the quality will suffer a little anyways.

I have 20 year old frozen film that is still good. It is kept at 0 degrees F.

Storing in the original foil wrapper is a must. Opened film, even if frozen will not keep as well as unopened film.

Higher speed film goes bad faster than slower speed film.

This question is answered over and over and over. Did you do a search on PN? Do it and get more details.

Ron Mowrey

This paper discusses a method of archiving developed prints & negatives that was

developed at the Smithsonion, but I would think that it is applicable to unexposed

materials also.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/CMI_Paper_2003_07_31.pdf

Also, 'Storage and Care of KODAK Photographic Materials'

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/e30/e30.pdf

Hi, Rowland,

As a matter of fact, I did look on PN, as stated in my posted question.

As stated, my goal in asking is to gain specifics. Specifics such as devices, storage, wrapping, humidity issues, specific types of refrigeration equipment, longevity, related links. Most of the historical posts do not directly address this topic, specifically.

Fortunately, some of the photo.net participants did provide such valuable specifics, while others chose to provide generalities followed by snide comments.

Thanks!

Robt.

Robert;

Sorry, but the fact that you searched was not clear in your original post.

If you buy a film packaged in foil wrap then this wrap is sufficient protection at 0 deg F for nearly 20 years for films from most manufacturers if the film speed is below about 400.

Films above 400 suffer a larger amount of fog increase as it ages.

Films in cans do not keep as well, but can be kept for about 5 years beyond expiration.

Opened film will keep about as well as film in cans, but there is a problem with cans and open film. Moisture will condense on the film sometimes and cause spots. In addition, there is slow evaporation of solvents and organics from the film that will hasten deterioration.

Color films keep worse than B&W films as a general rule.

Films differ between manufacturers. An EK 1000 speed color film in foil wraps kept nearly perfectly except for slight fog for 5 years beyond expiration, but 1000 speed Agfa kept right beside it on the shelf shifted color badly and gained a lot more fog.

Therefore, I cannot make any predictions for you.

Sorry.

Ron Mowrey

• 4 years later...
<p>Hi , I have stored my coveted 4 x 5 kodak high speed infra red film for 8 years in my freezer.. It has no mold and I have not defrosted it.. It is all ruined..Totally fogged.. Can anyone tell me if we should be storing film in the freezer or just the refrigerator?? I now have the rest of the Kodak High Speed Infra red (35 mm) film in my freezer..exp 2/09!! Where is the best place to store it??</p>

<p>Here I have stored unused film in the freezer since the early 1960's.<br>

This subject gets discussed about each month on photo.net.<br>

Cold storage radically reduces film aging; but it only halts ONE of the three PLUS aging mechanisms.<br>

Cosmic rays slowing add base fog ;even if it is storaged in a freezer. This "exposure" varies with the asa/iso of the film. A third mechanism is due to gases and moisture; unsealed film gets degraded by gases; ie coal gas; old natural gas from an ancient gas; refridgerator; our old three bean leftovers.<br>

I probably have mentioned these three gremlins about 100 times over thE last ten years on photo.net; its from the kodak bookletes 4 decades ago and more.<br>

<br /> A fourth degradation is that film that is not used for decades can be have more curl; its harder to go thru a motor drive; movie camera; and sometimes a total bear to load say if old 120/620 compared to new stuff. I have some many bricks of Ilford FP4 in 120 that I bought in 1978 for nothing; it once was easy to load; now it is a total ficken devil to load on a reel; a curled up mess with a massive set/curl<br>

<br /> Here I store film in a feezer in its original packaging; often then in ball jars if its has been opened; or I feel the packaging is marginal.<br>

<br /> Tri-X in 620 from about 1972 shows say 1 to 2 stops loss in speed; stuff thats from the 1980's say 1 stop . Old Royal-X asa 1250 from the 1980's is terrible; about 2 stops loss. ASA 6 Kodalith in 35mm from about 1970 is like great; little drop in asa; little base fog.<br>

<br /> If you can still buy ACME 400 iso film in 5 years; it will be better than any freezer storage of ACME 400; no matter what method.<br>

<br /> If you are a tooler; you only store stuff that you cannot buy anymore; you buy ALL the same emulsion number; you store it all in the same freezer. That way it "ages" as a group in about teh same way. If one has to do an experiment to force colors; add more exposure; it applys to the whole wad of ACME 400.<br /> Cosmic rays does degrade film with time; it varies with the asa/iso. One has more base fog with time; even it is stored in a freezer. If you are a tooler you can do DlogE curves of your stored wad of ACME film of an XYZ iso/asa and track its drop in iso/asa as the years grind on. Base fog rises more quickly due to cosmic rays with an iso 1200 film than a iso 100 film; it is 12 times the film speed. Thus the base fog after 1 decade will be more with the faster film in a decade; and it will have a greater drop in film speed in percentage than the slower film. Film speed is tied to the speed points; which are tied to the DlogE curve. More base fog means a slower film; lower asa/iso film speed.<br>

<br /> That film doesnt last forever when kept in a freezer is ancient.<br>

Some films like the ASTRO spectral plates I used in astro work had to be ALWAYS kept in a freezer; one had them shipped in dry ice; and kept them there until used. The kodak books I read in the 1950's in me Indiana dinky town library mentioned that films and plates "kept" longer with cold storage; these books were Kodak books from 1900's to the 1940's; before many folks had freezers; they had "ice boxes".<br>

<br /> The REASON many of us keep film in the freezer or just the refrig are many.<br>

The long term stuff goes in the colder section; stuff that might be used quicker might be just in the refrig.<br>

<br /> (1)DISCONTIUNED STUFF . When a film type dies off; or a roll size; we buy some stuff for future usage. Thus we squireled away 620 Verichrome and Tri-x; 828 films; Panatomic-x; Royal-x; Ektar 25.<br>

<br /> (2) STUFF ON SALE. Or its is just we bought some film at fire sale prices; and want to reduce its degradation. Thus I bought a bunch of asa 100 C41 Fuji 35mm for about 50 cents a roll. Or it is the several bricks of Ilford FP4 120 I bought in 1978 for nothing when a store closed. Or it is the 110 Kodacolor I bought at Walmart on sale<br>

<br /> (3) CONTROL. When I was shooting Vericolor in the 1970's; one had to keep the films at 55F or lower to reduce color shifts. One would buy bricks of the stuff of all one emulsion number; store it to shoot weddings and portraits. One kept the stuff cool to gain control of the process. One also kept infrared films in the freezer or refridg too.<br>

<br /> (4) BLUE MOON USEAGE FILMS. Another reason folks keep stuff in the freezer is it is films that are used only on blue moons; like that 150 foot rool of Kodalith asa 6 35mm stuff I bought in the early 1970's.<br>

<br /> (5) LEFTOVERS. Another reason it is just leftovers; we bought some ACME 200 in a weird format for one specific job; we had some "left overs" that might be usefull in the future; or maybe not.<br>

<br /> Like cold storage of food; nothing lasts forever; or is as good as fresh stuff. If stored poorly; one has more degradation.</p>

<p>With color films; it is all worse. The layers degrade differently; ie one has color shifts. this is the reason I like to buy all one emulsion number; at least if one has to do some Kentucky windage; two rolls shot in 2014 will tend to have the same weirdness; is shifts. <br>

In pro work one often shoots some color references a the start of a roll of funky old color film; the lab then can "close the loop" and force the color balance.</p>

<p>Here I once has a bulk roll of B&W 35mm infrared that I kept in the freezer. I bought in new in Kansas City in the summer of 1976 from a dealer that kept in frozen; I got about 5 years usage out of it before it was terrible; gobs of base fog. My own experience with long term storage of infrared films is poor; even when they were religously stored in a freezer. Even single rolls of sealed 35mm infrared slide films never lasted long either.</p>