Kodak HIE (Infrared) - developing time with Ilford DD-X

The massive developing chart,which you can get online,does not list DD-X as a developer for Kodak HIE. They do list ID-11, at 8.5 min ,to 11 min. at 20 degrees C. I would go on the light side,High speed infrared can block up quickly with over developement. I hope this helps.

I can't comment on DD-X, but I can tell you about ID-11,which I use for HIE, 8.5 min at 20C. There is very little contrast control with development time; 11 minutes looks the same but with coarser grain. So I choose a shorter time for finer grain. I prefer XTOL but I can't get it reliably where I live. XTOL does allow some contrast control, and overall I like the tones better than ID-11.

I suggest you experiment to find your times.

Hope this helps.

DD-X is pretty active for Kodak HIE...I've had my best luck using Microdol-X undiluted for

17 minutes. If you decide to pursue DD-X, I would suggest diluting it 1:6 instead of 1:4

and using 6-7 minutes. A lot depends upon the filter you used and how (or if) you

metered the HIE. More info would help us help you.

Thanks so much for the information. In response to how I shot the film, this is my first roll of infrared so was a bit in the dark (and not just when loading the film!) Based on info I found on infrared related sites (not always the most consistent)I eventually set the ASA at 200. I used a 25 Wratten red filter on an old K-1000 metered through the lens, bracketing one stop above and below on all shots. Most of the shots were between F5.6 to F11. 1/60 to 1/125. It was a sunny late afternoon so I tried to err on side of under-exposing, as I thought I had read that there was greater ratio of infrared to visible light at late afternoon and early morning.