Portraits with my field camera 4x5

photog630

I'd like to try my hand at shooting portraiture with my Toyo 45AII, and realize

that this camera only has a maximum bellows extension of 304mm.

My favorite portrait lens (in 35mm) is an 85mm f/1.4 Zeiss Planar, so my

thoughts were to obtain either a 270mm or 300mm for the 4x5, perhaps in a

telephoto design, so that I could shoot subjects around 12-15 feet away, and

fill the frame nicely. I know that a standard 300mm lens would only focus at

infinity (at nearly the max bellows extension of my camera), and thought the

telephoto route might provide a solution.

Do any of you have suggestions for a good telephoto lens that would work for

my purposes? I'd like to use a fairly fast lens, around f/5.6 for minimal DOF

when necessary.

Thanks in advance!

The closest standard focal length for 4x5 that is "equivalent" to an 85mm on 35mm film, is probably 10", i.e. 250mm or 254mm. I use a 10" lens on a Tachihara and can focus down to about 5 feet away. A similar lens on your camera should be fine.

I can't answer your question, but it does raise a purely acedemic question for me.

Not having used a camera larger than 4x5 with a lens longer than 210mm, (and with my back I never will) I'm a bit out of my league here. My guess is that if I had an 8x10, and wanted a 300mm lens for it, I would be much happier if it were a long focus lens, rather than a telephoto, since telephotos make working with front axis tilts and swings difficult, and any 8x10 that didn't have sufficient draw for a 300mm lens would be useless. So I'm assuming that most 300mm telephotos are not used with 8x10 cameras, but with 4x5 with limited bellows draw. If that's the case, and I know it's a big if, are telephotos typically designed with a smaller format in mind? Would they be less likely to have the coverage for 8x10 than a normal 300mm lens?

Peter,

Everything you said is pretty much right except for the last statement. Both Nikon and Schneider make telephotos designed for 8x10. The Nikkor series uses a common shutter and front element with interchangeable rear cells for 600mm, 800mm, and 1200mm.

Steve

Dan, I agree with both Alan and Peter, but specifically to your question Alan is on the mark. I have a Schneider 250mm Tele-Arton. The tele lens design has the benefit of not requiring the full extension to focus at infinity so fills the frame nicely for portraits and is convenient to use (tele design benefit). The down size in using a tele design is when making movements to the front and rear standards - i.e. when you think you've got focus established sharply and make a movement you have to set focus again. But typically when doing portraits and even normal distance shooting that is no real inconvenience. So the answer to your actual Q is that a tele 250 or similar will do the job very nicely.

4x5s are used for wall-sized portraits, not head shots. A 210 is a good focal length, and the plasmat types are available at f/5.6. For something smaller, lighter and cheaper, yet very sharp, a Nikkor M 210/8 (Tessar) is an outstanding lens.

Dan

Do you know that TOYO makes and extension box that fits on the back of your TOYO 45, and give you about 5" more bellows. I use one on my 45A, and a 300mm Fuji C for great results. I use it on the front on my 810M with a 610 (24") Red Dot Artar for the same aspec ratio with a bigger negative. The bad thing is they are expensive, and almost as big as the camera itself, but dose work very well. You can get them on that e-b@# place every now and then.

www.doncameron.com

Peter,

You will not get a 300mm Telephoto to cover 8x10. Telephotos generally have much less coverage than conventional lenses. The miniumum telephoto focal length that I know of that covers 8x10 is 800mm. Schneider Apo Tele-Xenar and the 800mm Nikkor.

Steve

Dan, there are frequently vintage "soft Focus" portrait lens in 8" to 10" (203mm-254mm) up on ebay. One seller Jay O Tepper (jotepper) list there and sells on his web site:http://www.jay-tepper.com/index.html.

I got a very nice Paragon variable soft for my 8x10 that only needed a basic shutter cleaning/lube to get working from him. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ has some information on soft focus lense and long lens for 4x5. If portraits is what you want to do then get a portrait lens.

I seldom make portraits.<br>

But when I need to make some ones, I use a Schneider Apo-Symmar 5,6/240, which is close to your favourite 85mm focal length in 35mm format.<br>

The flange focal distance of the A.S. 240 is 238,5mm, so you can use the 304mm extension of your Toyo to be closer.<br>

snip ...

"4x5s are used for wall-sized portraits, not head shots"

i've never heard this before.

maybe if you only make contact prints ?

i often take portraits with a 4x5 camera. if you want a "portrait lens" look for a 10" veritar. it was marketed for 5x7, but is a great FL for 4x5 portraits. they are in modern alphax shutters with a bi-post syc. i don't use a toyo, but a speed graphic for 4x5 portraits, and i have no problems with bellows extension &C

i'd also suggest checking out jay tepper's website. he's a nice guy with nice lenses. he also has a great return policy :)