Graphical Quality of Digital Camera Pictures

mallik

After watching many pictures of digital and analog (film) pictures (both taken by me

as well as by others that I see on Web, Magazines etc.), I tend to get a feeling that

pictures from digital cameras seem to have a graphical quality as opposed to showing

the REAL image. So much so, that I start guessing if the picture was taken with a

digital camera or a film one. I get a feeling that there are more shades in color and

light (in the scene photographed) than shown in the picture, and feel an analog

picture would have done more justice. On the same front, I feel colors are often

brighter in digital pictures, though. A result of lesser gamut in digital pictures

probably. Am I being biased or do you also feel the same way.

Mallik.

All has to do with post processing, grain, AND dynamic range. Most photographers over sharpen images, don't run noise reduction programs (easy to tell just look in the dark area's of the image), along with overzealous use of the contrast control kind of like very cheap consumer films by Fuji or Kodak.

The best digital images IMO look like they were taken with fine grain negative film minus the grain. Note you can add in grain back in to digital images btw.

It is still very difficult to get the B&W digital images to look like tri-x however.

Gerry

Well, I do too. Without even thinking about it. To me it's the OOF portions of an image which identify Dig/film. Part of it is the post procesesing, but mostly the very short FL of most digital cameras, I think.

<i>I tend to get a feeling that pictures from digital cameras seem to have a graphical quality as opposed to showing the REAL image. </i><p>

By the way, this makes no sense. Film doesn't show the "REAL image," it shows what light recorded on film. If it showed the "REAL image," we wouldn't need darkrooms or different films or anything. What a goofy post.

In a magazin or on a monitor I can't tell the difference between a scanned picture and one made with a digital camera. I don't look for missing grain and such :-)

The difference for me is in handling, give me a camera with the FoV of a 50mm lens on 135 film with comparable sensitivity to ISO 800 not bigger than my Rollei 35 and I may leave it at home. DSLRs are too big to be carried around anywhere and the smaller digicams are not sensitive enough (with reasonable quality, that is).<div>008sLc-18814984.jpg.3671479c4a43d4f2ea082f2c4b0d6f7f.jpg</div>

Why do the same old bullies try to smash down any and all disagreement with their views? If they are sure of their opinions, perhaps they ought to be a little gentler expressing them.

In answer to the question - yes, it seems clear to me that there is a graphical quality to many digital images - semi-posterised would be one way of describing it. Presumably it is due to lack of grain (texture) and a reduced palette of colours (through sharpening, sampling, whatever). In this way, very noisy images (such as those posted above) tend to look more like film, while those cameras such as the latest digilux or the Minolta A2 which have higher noise give images that look closer to what we might expect of film.

Digital cameras do weird stuff that our eyes find less familiar than the weird stuff film does. If you prefer the stuff film does, great, use film -- digital cannot yet accurately emulate how film records light. But we're also at the point where film can't perfectly emulate what digital does, so pick your axe and go with it.

Stephen, I have no idea what you're talking about. I mean, Rico's D30 shot looks worse than any grainy film image I've ever seen; where Volker's D60 shot looks very much like Tri-X in a Leica.

If I could afford to shoot film I would, though not because it's 'REAL'. But I'm almost as happy with my DSLR so the conclusion is obvious as to what I will be using - for now anyway.

They are different. Don't agree digital shows anything other than the real

image, but Jeff's shot, which looks great, doesn't look like a Tri X shot. In some

ways it looks even better, even more impermanent and snatched., But we've

spent so many years being conditioned into liking that TriX look. Photography,

both analogue and digital, is an inherently complex medium, and there's no

way that two different methods of capturing images should look the same, But

that will come, Within 5 years there's be a 'TriX' preset on yer Epson, that will

work much like the Theremin preset on your digital synthesiser. <p>

AS far as digital v film goes, I'm more interested in the different mental

approach imposed by having an unlimited number of shots to play with -

because you can instantly trash the bad ones - vs having a film with 35

exposures. Is being limited good, or bad?

I use the word, "cartoonish" to describe a lot (not all) of the photos posted on photo.net done with digital cameras. But be very careful here. When Fuji film first started to challenge Kodak with color film, its photos looked very much like cartoons. Very saturated cartoon-like colors. Over time, however, we have all come to appreciated (unrealistic?) oversaturated color prints/slides and consider the colors to be quite "normal," whatever that means. Kodachrome is still considered to reproduce colors as the human eye sees them. What this suggests is that we will all get used to digital photos in whatever form they evolve on the web, which is to say on our computer screens in whatever state of development and calibration those monitors are. In other words, I think we are losing the capacity to judge photographs very well in the terms used here.

"But that will come, Within 5 years there's be a 'TriX' preset on yer Epson, that will work much like the Theremin preset on your digital synthesiser."

Or maybe there won't. A couple years back, me and another guy burned a ton of studio time trying to make $300,000 worth of synthesizers sound like a Theremin, and we failed. Had to find a real one or give it up. And this guy is a world-class studio wiz. And another guy I know still rents out a 1960's Optigan, which he found in an alley, for $200 per day to studios that have every synthesizer ever created.

That's my answer to Grant's question too.

COuld be right, Beau. But funny how many people go on about the Theremin

on Beach Boys or Portishead records, and there isn't one to be found on

there. For most people, an imitation that gets 85 per cent of the way, for 10 per

cent of the effort, is good enough.<p>