I need to process Tri X in HC-110 - Help!

I need to process a bunch of Tri-X shot at ASA400. What dilution &

time would give me fantastic negs with the developer at 68 degrees

with agitations 5 secs every 30 seconds? Remember - I shot these at

400ASA - all the stuff I'm reading was shot on this post has been

more around 200ASA.

Andy,<p>

No, not "everyone".

IMHO, Kodak publishes generally good and accurate information about their films and

chemistry. At the very least, it gets the processor to average/good results if the

directions are followed consistently (RTFM). If you want "fantastic" negs, then the

"fantastic" part is up to you! Testing, testing, practice, practice, and be critical of your

work. There is a tremendous amount of empirical information on this forum about

this combination of film & developer, and it's a good combo.

Andy,

Dilution B, 1 part concentrate + 31 parts water, is the usual dilution for Tri-X. Read the suggested web sites and select a developing time, develop a roll, contact print the roll and make developing time adjustments according to how you read the contrast of the negatives. None of the suggested developing times will ruin your negatives, all should be in the ball park.

Paul

Andy just in case you are wondering why every one says different times it is really because everyone has a personal taste for how they like their negs to look and water supplies and techniques vary. But anywhere from 6-7 min will work no problem. 7 min will be more contrasty than 6 min. Some people like less time some like more to be honest it is not that critical. I find that If my negs are too contrasty by 1 paper grade the about 20-25% less development will drop me 1 paper grade and about the same to go up a grade. If you get negs that print on grade 2-3 paper with the occasional really contrasty negs needing grade 1 then you are really close enough. If you need to print every thing on grade 4-5 then you could use more development if you print everything on grade 0-1 paper then you could use less development. As time goes by you will tweak your development time to suit your own taste and needs.

Andy, it's been my experience that if the photographer really exposes Tri-X at iso 400, then uses a diffusion enlarger to print with,Kodak's times will be right. The main problem is that ever so many people just are sure their cameras averaging meter are always right, I assure you that is not the case. Now the newer cameras that have matrix,multi-segment, or some such named metering system will give a lot more accurate exposures per roll, but they are not right 100% of the times. Isn't this just a nice can of worms to get into this thread?....Jim

• 2 weeks later...

The recommendations of the film says it should be developed dilution B at 20 centigrade degrees for 3.45 seconds. Some of you are recommending dilution B developing for even 6 minutes. There's a difference with the recommendations of more than two minutes. Wouldn't it result into a hard overdevelopment?. Please be so kind to explain it to me.

Please refer other possibilities as for the dilution. What about 1+61 or others? and, how long? (8 minutes for instance)

thanks