a 17mm with a fixed a aperture of f/11 shutter speed is 1/100. The

camera is loaded with 800 ISO film. With good lightning conditions

the lens seems reasonably sharp between 0,4m and 2,5m. I also shooted

some landscape in bright sun with horrible results. These shots must

have been overexposed by 4 stops and they're really unsharp. Do you

believe that the lens is unable to provide good resolution at

infinity or is the overexposure responsible for the lack of

sharpness ?

Disposables are often used in poor lighting conditions. They are designed/made to overexpose in bright daylight; and be ok in shadow or overcast conditions. Most all casual users prefer the greater success with disposables; using this scheme. It is far better to over expose; than under expose with print film. The downside is loss of resolution; which you correctly stated. Here we print alot of police photos take with disposables. They use them because they work rain or shine; and are available at Walmart 24/7. They use digital too; but often use disposables due to battery and duffus problems with high tech devices. They buy dozens of disposables; and keep a few in each squad car. The scans we have done of properly exposed disposable images are tack sharp in the very center on the "premium Kodak models"; and just fair to poor at the far edges. This is when I get the actual negatives; and due scanning with a 4000 dpi film scanner.

It seems there is some misundersatnding about my question :

I know that the lens is sharp, I know that when I shoot in bright sun ther's a massive overexposure. I know I could tweak with some ND filter to tweak the exposure.

My question is can overexposure be responsible for the lack of sharpness or is the DOF that is unsufficient to providez sharp image on landscapes ?

Of course, I could have the response by making some shot with my Lunasix and a diposable under perfect overcast conditions.....

I have never used the Konica 17mm disposable, but the Fuji ones

(slightly less wide) seem to be focused for group portraits, not

at infinity for landscapes. That looks like the case here.

Konica 800 is slightly less sharp when overexposed, but your 2nd

image appears misfocused.

Eric; most of these disposables use standard 35mm film cartrdges. You might try disassembling one; and reloading it with a 24 exp roll of asa 200 print film. This will give you a "17mm look"; and less overexposure; in well lite sun shots. I have done this type of thing before; sometimes you have to waste a disposable camera; to try to get one apart the first time. Many cameras use 24 exp rolls; and are 27 exposures when in dinky disposables. Most all use standard C41 print film; thus there is no processing issues involved.

Thanks Kelly. I know a disposable can be reloaded, I have aleady disassembled one and the Konica is really easy to reload. You can even change the flash battery with the camera loaded. If the camera is not useable for landscape I think I will use some 400 ISO C-41 black & white and use it as a street shooter. A bonus is that I will have the perfect tourist look !

Apparently Konica is very gentle with disposable reloaders (or most probably they are reloaded in China with by low cost workmanship and they don't wish to have to deal with accidents). The capacitor is well enclosed in plastic.

In 2002, the Konica Super Wide disposable, with its 17 mm lens, was marketed in Japan as a fun self-portrait camera. The advertising showed a young lady taking a picture of herself and a friend, with an interesting background. The mirrored panels surrounding the lens are used to help point the camera at yourself while you hold it at arm's length.

I used one of these cameras in Tokyo and Kyoto. Sharpness was good for self-portraits, but was on the soft side for landscapes (subject distance greater than 30 feet).

• 4 years later...

Hello all!

Anyone know where to get the Konica wai wai for cheap? Without getting the shaft I mean... Konica's pulled out of the camera business over here and I don't think Sony is going to be coming out with a cheapy disposable camera. Any info is appreciated!

But on a side note, I've noticed that a lot of the members on here are really "attitudinal" for some reason... But I guess you can be that way if you're paying THOSE membership rates! HA! Too bad Leica doesn't make a sense of humor that you can screw on.