ive been searching, searching,searching for a decent condition

decent priced high quality type used (old school) nikon or cannon

manual camera to replace my cannon a1 when its electronic mother

board dies... . today i was looking in my used camera case and i have

two k1000 for the school kids... one in 98+ percent condition with

the 50 mm 1.2 lens.. i thought for a minute why am i looking for

these other cameras when i have this one here.. from your experiences

will i be dissapointed? thanks dave.

Is that lens a 1:2 or a 1.2 (f1.2?). It's a big differences. The f1.2 lens is the fastest lens Pentax ever made and is a pretty expensive lens.

K1000 are lovely cameras. I have a bunch of Pentax cameras, but there still are times when the K1000 shines, especially with long exposures (hours!) and in very cold weather.

Personally the major flaw in the K1000 is 1) no timers (but you can buy a screw in type 2) No depth of view knob (but you can partly loosen the lens to see what is in focus)

I've got one among other Pentaxes and like it a lot. I don't like the photoswitch of the exposuremeter, when I use lenshoods. I don't miss the stop down lever a lot but this depends on the subject.

Take it, use it and be proud about needing no more bells & whistles.

I'll be a contrarian. If you have any Canon FD lenses, besides the standard 50mm lens, then I would stay in the Canon family. The Canon cameras that best fit your needs would be the Canon FTb-n or the Canon TX (or the Bell & Howell FD35, which is merely a Canon TX that was re-branded under contract between Canon and Bell & Howell). Both of those are as good or better than the K1000, and they should not be any more expensive. An FTb-n should cost the same as a K1000 and is superior to it, and a TX costs less and is equal to it. FYI, I picked up a NEAR MINT B&H FD35 with 50mm f1.8 S.C. lens on ebay for around $50. A TX should sell for similar, and and the FTb-n should sell for around $100 on the auction site.

Also, I'm 99.9% sure you're mistaken about the lens on the K1000. It is almost certainly a 50mm f2 (or 1:2) NOT an F1.2 (or 1:1.2) lens. That would represent a HUGE difference in cost due to the f1.2 lens being much rarer and 1.5 f-stops faster. However, the f2 lens is just as sharp, if not sharper, than the f1.2 lens. The f2 lens is worth around $20-25, while the f1.2 lens is worth $150-200.

However, if you DON'T have any significant investment in Canon FD-mount lenses, then the Pentax K1000 is a perfectly nice, if basic, camera, and you wouldn't be disappointed in it, as it is capable of photos just as nice as your Canon A-1, although without the bells and whistles and automatic features of your A-1.