This is All Fun and Well. . .but, well. . .

maxhaynes

My 1/1 Pig Nose picture has had quite the adventure and obviously struck a nerve

with folks. It simultaneously resides at the back of the curator's selections and and at

the top of the ratings pile. I think it's been good for a lot of folks. However, I don't

think it should go into the pantheon of all-time ratings photos. I think in about a

week or so I should delete it from my portfolio so that doesn't happen. My concern is

this, I've seen spots in the line-up that just have little question marks and the

person's name below them. Is this what would happen? Can it be made that nothing

appears and we can just let it slide into history as an interesting notion?

You hit a nerve, most of us are too kind to live in this hard world, we give 5's and 6's because of several thoughts, 1....I will get kindness in return 2....I really don't what to hurt this persons feelings 3....The "what if that was me" feeling, how would I feel with a low rating?

The fault is in our stars, or minds, or perhaps there is no fault at all, raiting if a funny way to view great pictures, like the Olympics, we raise up a Number and the world applauds....or so we think.

I would never think of giving a low rate to someone unless I also gave a comment on how I thought they may improve, and I know many of us feel the same. We say we are here to learn, but still feel anger when we get a low rating from some one that has not posted, and does not give comments. We feel hurt and offended ! Why should they rate and run as it were........

This SHOULD be water off a ducks back. My dear old Father once said,"Anyone with a mouth can be a critic, but to be criticised you HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ! Having said that, I 'll shut my Cake Hole ! *R*

Max, I congratulate you as the pioneer to break the barrier of ratings by sending trash and getting results! (ratings) Just hope ther no copycats around get the same idea. However your image will undoubtedly hurt those who took great pains in making images which were voted into the top galleries.

I posted an answer to this last night but it didn't register I guess.

My response to your idea, Alec, it that I hope folks are creating their best art for

better reasons than to get to the top of the P.net ratings chart. That said, I'll reiterate

my original comment, which was that I don't think this image should remain in the

halls of the best pictures ever rated for long so that deserving images will take it's

place.

Don't worry Max, your perfect illustration will be thrown into the "whine" bin, and then the world will be all fine. You see, there is no problem, that's why many pictures that demonstrate this flaw are deleted from the gallery and taken into la-la land (a.k.a. disbling further rating input).<BR>

And I apologize for not giving you a 1/1 rating...I just can't bring myself to do so unless it <i>really</i> sucks; yours is original..and is aesthetically pleasing for the warped mind ;)

• 2 months later...

How about I stick my pennys worth in.

Rating picture is a little like choosing a wife.If your into Blondes then so be it.You tend to go on the prowl with blonds on the mind but sometimes a redhead bowls you over.

Rating pictures is a little like that.If your into the arty farty shots, a landscape will probably not stir any feelings.Myself, I admit I am a novice, if I like it, I like it.Don't matter to me whether it's nude, portrait, landscape or whatever.

Nuff said............Penny well spent.