Hi there,

I just received my VC 21 f/4.0 yesterday and wanted to share a few

impression.

1/ That lens is so small !! About the size of a roll of film. Feel

very solid too !

2/ The focusing lever is great. I never had a chance to use one and

I'm already in love !

3/ The finder ... Oh boy, the finder is so BRIGHT !!! How come we

can't have such brightness in my M6 finder ?? It feels so dim now ...

What is the difference between the regular finder and an external

finder ?

I took some picture around the house (mainly my daughter who was very

glad of this new addition. She's wondering why I have to come so

close to her to take a picture .. :-) ) ... I guess I will have to

get use to scale focusing (any tips ?) but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thow thumbs up to Voigtlander on this one !!!

Fred

>Robin Smith , jun 03, 2004; 05:07 p.m.

>She'll also wonder she ends up looking so distorted and weird in the prints. Its a nice lens, but not a patch on the 28/2 cron in quality...

She isn't "distorted and weird" in that image. Why would you suggest a 28 when the discussion is about a 21??

<b><i>Have you gotten nose grease in your M6 viewfinder yet?</i></b>

<p>

Aaah Lee! the trick is to keep it permanently attached to your Bessa T where the viewfinder

is too small to touch your nose. I use this lens too much and often without time to change

so the permanent combination works well along side the M6 and a 35mm as a standard

combo. The external exposure meter on the Bessa T is also great for pre-setting the

camera without ever lifting to your eye.

<p>

regards

Craig / Beijing

My point is simply that a 21mm lens will distort all objects at the edges and the corners a great deal - particularly when close focused as Fred wants to do. This may not matter, but it usually does not produce flattering images - his daughter or him may not like the result. Of course not being flattering does not matter to people you don't know, but the family may object.

A shot taken with the VC encompassing the same field of view as compared to, say, the 28/2 will not compare in resolution - these are both truisms and are really uncontroversial I would have thought. The 28/2 is the widest Leica lens I have and this is why I compared them. What I am saying is that all ultra-wides generally take a performance cut over less wide options - so assertions of the 21mm quality need to be taken with this in mind. Don't expect the 21mm VC to have the same punch as a 28/35 or 50mm because it doesn't. I doubt that the 21mm ASPH does either. Having used the 21mm Biogon for the Contax G the same applies.

Robin Smith

She isn't "distorted and weird" in that image.

Jon - doesn't look like it, but we don't know the baby - also that's not Fred's shot so I was not commenting on any particular pic. You must know what I mean about 21mm shots - I have a whole bunch of family groups in which poor old Aunt Smith on the far right looks like she is a 300lb ad for McDonalds when in reality she is a 110lb dieter. Try a face close up with a 21mm - wonderful effect, but don't show it to the owner of the face!

Robin Smith