Makeing up liquid concentrate developer, fixer etc!

OK! I want to develope one roll of film but nor necessarily mix the whole bottle f concentrate for storage! But I can't work out the dilutions needed for the tank I have!

So,can you people help me! These are all ONE SHOT LIQUID SOLUTIONS!

My tank takes 290 ml /10 oz of solution ,and I have the following concentrates;

Rodinal 1+25/1+50

Ilford rapid fixer 1+4/1+9

Ilfostop bath 1+19

wetting agent 1+200!

My maths is terrible, and I know you people are cleverer than me!

Keep the answers SIMPLE!

Niall

Try to get a syringe from the drugstore from measuring small quantities.

Rodinal (one shot, a pinch over 10 oz)

1+50 300 ml water + 6 Rodinal

1+25 300 ml water + 12 Rodinal

Fixer (you can reuse the diltued fixer)

1+4 2 ounces Fix + 8 water

1+9 1 ounce fix + 9 water

Stop bath, just use plain water

Wetting agetn, add 1 ml to the 10 oz.... should be plenty

<p>Niall, the goal is to have the proper amount of <u>concentrate</u> per 300ml of solution, which I'll call a <u>working</u> <u>solution</u>.   To make like easier, you should have a 500 ml graduated measuring container.   I also recommend having separate bottles for each working solution, to include each H<sub>2</sub>O rinse.</p>

<p>Now to determine how much rodinal to use, take your ratios, like 1:25, and add the two numbers together.   This gives you 26 parts total for the Rodinal or 1 part Rodinal plus 25 parts water.</p>

<p>Then divide 300 ml by either 26.   if you're lazy like myself divide 300 ml by 25, which will give you 12 ml.   Simply add <b>12 ml of Rodinal</b> to your 500 ml graduate.   Then slowly add enough filtered water so that the total volume is 300 ml.   You now have 300 ml of Rodinal in a working solution.</p>

<p>For film the rapid fixer ratio is 1:4.   So divide (300 ml) by (5).   You'll need <b>60 ml of fixer concentrate</b> and 240 ml of filtered H<sub>2</sub>O.</p>

<p>The stop bath ratio is 1:19. &nsbp; Therefore, you divide 300 ml by 20.   This gives you 15 ml of acetic acid concentrate.   Warning: add the <b>15 ml of acid</b> to approximately 100 ml or 150 ml of H<sub>2</sub>O.   Then top off with more water to make 300 ml.</p>

<p>The stop bath and fixer <u>are</u> <u>not</u> one shot solutions.   They can be reused.</P>

<p>Also, I always make enough <u>working</u> <u>solutions</u> for a few sessions.   I usually mix at least a liter at a time.   At which point the math becomes even easier.</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

On the Rodinal, I usually use a <b>1:50 dilution</b>, which would give (300 ml) divided by (51).

Again, I would simplify by roundng 51 down to 50. Then you can divide (300 ml) by (50)to get <b>6 ml of Rodinal</b> which is much easier, if you are crunching numbers without a calculator.

Many times, dilutions are specified in the form 1+x instead of 1:x. IIRC, AGFA specifies Rodinal this way. If you want 1+50 Rodinal, divide your 290 by 50 and add that much Rodinal stock to the 290. You will wind up with 295.8 ml of working solution. Otherwise, divide by 51 and add water to that amount until you get 290. The 290 ml of working solution will have 5.68627 ml of Rodinal stock. The first way you may wind up throwing away 5.8 ml of very valuable Rodinal working solution. If you think I'm pulling your leg, you are right. You will not produce any measurable error in development if you divide 290 by 50 and add enough water to bring the level to 290. Scrupulosity has its place in moral behavior. It's more fun in photography to see if you can get away with a little unscrupulosity.

Niall,

<p>The above post is correct.   To keep with established photographic conventions, I should have written 1+25 and 1+50 rather than 1:25 and 1:50.   Just remember to add the parts together. So, that a 1+1 working solution becomes two parts, 1/2 concentrate and 1/2 water.   A 1+2 solution has 1/3 concentrate mixed with 2/3 water.</p>

<p>With regards to bottles for holding each <u>working</u> <u>solution</u> until they are ready to use, I recommend old Hydrogen Peroxide Bottle, as they are unbreakeable, opaque brown, and cheap.   For your single roll developing, the 500 ml bottles are about 50 cents each.</p>