Jobo ATL2plus & time problems

Hi,

I bought a used Jobo processor, an Atl 2 plus. I am using x-tol 1:1 as my standard

developer. The problem I have, is that the times I end up with are totally inconsistent

with kodak recommendations for rotary tube process. The times are actually longer

than for manual process ! I ran several test and here are the results :

TMax 100 (new) 10'15 (8'45 recommended)

Tri-X (old) 9 (6'45 recommended)

Tri-X @1600 22' (9' recommended), still very thin.

TMax 3200 22' (13'30 recommended), still a bit thin.

I first thought the problem was due to a pre-bath, since kodak recommend not using

one, but actually the difference is irrelevant. It is not the camera, since hand

developing gives coherent results. I also checked the thermometer of the jobo and it

works fine.

What the hell is happening ?

Thank you for your advices.

Vania

Another thing to check is the amout of developer in the solution. That is the amout

of straight developer you mix with water to make the working solution. Kodak

recomends 100ml per roll or 135,120 or 4 sheets of 4x5 film. Some don't think even

this is enough but I have had very consistant and satisfying results with my CPP2. I

mainly use xtol 1:1. It is also possible that at high rotation speeds your developer my

become exhausted faster.

<p>

good luck

<p>

karl

Hi Vania,

I recently (over the summer) developed severl hundred 4x5 tmax 100 negatives in my ATL2 Plus. About half of them were done in xtol 1:1. As I remember I ran them at Kodak's recommended time for hand processing. Negatives were full range and just about perfect. I did use a 5 minute pre soak. Did you check the temp with a calibrated thermometer? I find I need to check it in several places in the ATL to get a consistent average. Otherwise, about the only thing that can go wrong would be in mixing the developer.