Kodak B&W films -- almost all discontinued ?????

Gee guys,

Tri-X is gone ????

Here's the list of discontinued films announced by Kodak:

KODAK TRI-X Pan Professional Film (TXP, TXT)

KODAK TRI-X Pan Film (TX)

KODAK T-MAX P3200 Professional Film (TMZ)

KODAK T-MAX 400 Professional Film (TMY)

KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA 400BW Film

KODAK PROFESSIONAL T400 CN Film

What on earth ... are they closing the shop??

The only one of these films tht has been discontinued lately is KODAK PROFESSIONAL T400 CN. There are other chromogenic B&W film sin the inventory. The others have been reformulated slightly and renamed. Instead of going into a panic about what's been discontinued, why don't you look at what is currently offered?

I think that Kodak would be EXTREMELY STUPID to dump Tri-X. Honestly, it has to be their most popular if not second most popular traditional B&W emulsion next to TMax. It's a cash cow. Teachers and professors recommend this stuff to students, people are familiar with it. The moderator leaves for a while and all hell breaks loose?

Arthur - don't sweat it. They aren't discontinued!

When Kodak changes an emulsion they 'discontinue' the old product associated with it and 'replace' it with the same product with the updated emulsion.

Here's an example: TX (Tri-X Pan) has been discontinued and replaced by 400TX (also Tri-X Pan). This was done about 18 months ago when they moved all their modern B&W emulsions made in the USA to a single production facility. It's common convention to say it's an updated emulsion when the facility changes - even if the chemistry doesn't - because some variations due to the move are inevitable.

Of course, EK could be much better in explaining all of this...

"The moderator leaves for a while and all hell breaks loose?"

==============================

Not hardly. I'm still peeking in every couplafew days.

BTW, I was headed toward the river walk in Savannah yesterday and realized the only film I had with me was the roll of Provia 100F already loaded in the camera, and half of that was gone. (Insert sound of me kicking self upon thought of having toted at least a dozen rolls of film for this trip and asking for hand checks at the airport.)

I stopped in a CVS Pharmacy downtown figuring I could at least pick up some Elite Chrome. Nope. But they did carry 24-exposure boxes of good ol' Tri-X. So I burned that the rest of the day.

I suspect the presence of Savannah College of Art and Design may be an influence in the ready availability of TX in a drug store. But I can't account for the lack of any kind of slide film, unless they just happened to be out of stock that day.

Anyway, Arthur, as others have already replied, Kodak last year merely announced the "replacement" of earlier versions of films with later versions. In most cases, as far as anyone can tell, the change consisted mainly of repackaging. A recent exception is in their C-41 monochrome lineup.

Don't kick yourself too hard - it's tough to ferret out info from Kodak's labyrinthine website.

"When Kodak changes an emulsion they 'discontinue' the old product associated with it

and 'replace' it with the same product with the updated emulsion."

And I've been waiting 15 years now for the new Panatomic X! Will they call it "32 FX".

I should call the "Friendly" Kodak 1-800 number and ask....