• 4 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 5 replies
  6. Posting Etiquette

• 0 replies
    • 1 reply

• Recent Gallery Images

• Recent Forum Wide Posts

• A few recent photos from Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco. Cosina CX-2 (inspiration for Lomo LC-A), Harman Phoenix 200 color film, home C41 development.    
    • Notwithstanding the possibilities of other factors already mentioned, I refer to the underlined and bold section of the quote and also to the first three sample images. You mention "relatively slow movements" : such maybe appearing slow, so let's take one example - the three people with fish walking 'slowly', lets say 2mph, which is around 3 feet per second. Let's assume your Leaf Shutter is accurate at 1/500sec. In 1/500sec the people move approximately 7/100 inch across the Plane of Focus, however, when walking, it is typical for the extremities to move faster than the body speed (of the walk): typically in the range of 5~15 times the 'speed of the walk': at 10 times the speed of the walk, we expect the foot or head or hand to move 70/100 inch, across the Plane of Focus if the Shutter Speed was 1/500sec. In the first image, the man LHS - his shirt seems reasonably crisp, but his head and left foot are definitely blurred, the left foot appears more so. On the second image, the hand moving downward, may have appeared slow, but lower arm movements can be deceptively fast, as too can head movements. Which brings us to the woman in the B&W image - I suspect her head is moving much faster than what you might expect.   In the above analyses, if the Shutter was in error by one stop (i.e. 1/250sec and not 1/500sec) we could assume that might go un-noticed in respect of the neg being slightly over exposed - but - such an error doubles the length of the Subject Motion Blur.    The closer the Subject is to the Camera, or the narrower the Field of View, the more pronounced will be Subject Motion Blur; the more transverse the Subject Motion, the more pronounced will be the Motion Blur. If the first two images are a Full Frame Crop, then, with an 80mm lens, the Camera was about 15ft from the three people and the fish and about 20~25ft from the woman, child and man, (matters not if these are cropped from full frame, doing so exacerbates Motion Blur anyway). In these situations, the Subjects' movements were transverse (or near enough to). My opinion is, to satisfactorily arrest the transverse motion blur caused by the movements of the people in these images, at the Subject Distances (or for the crops as published), you would need to be pulling around 1/1600sec: definitely 1/1000sec as the slowest In my experience, many folk underestimate the Shutter Speeds required to satisfactorily arrest Subject Motion Blur. WW