wireless trigger?

victor2

Greetings,

I need a way to fire my strobes with out a cable attached to my camera.

Is there a universal transmiter/reciever set (infra red or radio)that can be

used with different cameras? Digital, 645, 6x6. All manual, do not plan on

using ttl

Something that triggers off my hot shoe to a reciever on one of my strobes that

inturn will fire the others.

Thank you for your help with this basic question.

I'm checking out this very thing myself. There are many wireless systems available, IR as

well

as radio. I don't know how interchangeable any of them are regarding switching back and

forth from digital to film cameras. You have to be very careful on that count (you can really

damage your digital camera using a triggering mecanism not designed for digital). You will

have to research that on your own. That said, you may want to look into, Calumet's

LiteLink, Morris's 4 channel trigger, Bowens Pulsar, Elinchrom's EL Skyport Universal,

Quantum's Free Xwire, PocketWizard Plus II or their MultiMAX, or the MicroSync Digital. I'm

leaning toward the MicroSync at this point. Their literature states "Transmitter fires from

the hotshoe of most digital and film cameras." Hope this helps.

Pocketwizard (link above) is the mostreliable one I've found. I've used it with cameras from 4x5 , 6x17cmcm, medium format, 35mm, various DSLR (medioum format and 35mm SLR based) and a veritable alphabet soup (Alien Bees, Armatar, Balcar, Broncolor, Calumet, Canon, Comet, Dyna-Lite, Elinchrom, Hensel, Lumadyne, Nikon, Norman, Metz, Profoto, Speedotron, Vivitar, Zeus) of strobe manufacturers. I've used mine to remotely trigger lights and motor driven cameras and to simultaneously sync a 4x5 to a motor driven Nikon to lights set up all over a large hall.

I have several wireless triggers that I purchased from ebay for about 15.00/ea. These triggers work very well but I purchased three just in case one part stopped working. After two years I haven't had any problems other than the battery cover can be a pain to remove. The triggers are so much cheaper than a pocketwizard you'd have to really want to spend the extra money to justify the difference. I highly recommend trying one out. Once you order it you'll have it in 3 days or so.

Thank you all for your input.

I ended up buying a Flashpoint 4 Channel, Radio Remote Control Set, with Transmitter and Receiver, Range of 90' for 49.95 from Adorama.

As my need is for something simple and no frills and for the price it is worth a try.

Thank you