Windows 7 and Nikon Coolscan IV scanner

<p>There are several references here on photo.net, just do a search on your title. A tweak to the driver lets Nikon Scan work on the 64-bit OS (this seems to be the problem rather than WIN 7 itself). See the piece by 'Steel Chn'. A bit of later information is that Silverfast updated its program in the last two months-or-so, and the first release contained a driver that seemed to be produced by Nikon. This did not appear in the second release, and as a result I had to re-load the first version, but this may have changed again.</p>

<p>I have a Coolscan V working with NikonScan under Windows 7 x64. This should also work for a Coolscan IV.</p>

<p>1) Go here <a href="http://www.hamrick.com/index.html">http://www.hamrick.com/index.html</a> and download and install the 32-bit version of VueScan.</p>

<p>2) Go here <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-7">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-7</a> and download the 4.0.3 full version Vista only. Ignore the link that is labeled "Windows 7 MAC OS 10.5 ..."; it simply leads to a page that says Nikon Scan is not supported under those operating systems. Also ignore the label Vista Only; the software works perfectly under Windows 7.</p>

<p>3) Install VueScan 32-bit. This will install the drivers you will need for NikonScan.</p>

<p>4) Install NikonScan 4.0.3. Part of the install procees has a check box for installing the Nikon drivers; uncheck this box. Do NOT install the Nikon drivers.</p>

<p>5) Attach your Coolscan to the computer. Windows will install the VueScan drivers. If Windows does not find the drivers, point it at the VueScan directory.</p>

<p>6) Launch NikonScan; it will use the VueScan drivers.</p>

<p>7) Pay Hamrick for VueScan.</p>

<p>Hi Paul,</p>

<p>I installed VueScan and Nikon Scan before the 64-bit version was available. I know the 32-bit drivers work; I have not tried the 64-bit drivers so I did not recommend them. I am not sure the drivers with VueScan are 64-bit. VueScan.exe may be 64-bit, but the drivers may not be.</p>

<p>Although I run the 64-bit version of Windows, I am contstrained to run the 32-bit version of VueScan because my flatbed scaner, which I use to scan Medium Format film, is an Epson V600. VueScan uses the Epson drivers which are 32-bit only and will not work with the 64-bit version of VueScan. This is detailed on the VueScan site. </p>

<p>At any rate Nikon Scan is definately a 32-bit program and works with the drivers that install with the 32-bit verions of VueScan.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I just bought a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601). It has a 64-bit ready processor. <br>

My scanner is a NIKON CoolScan V ED. I had been using NikonScan with my Vista laptop, which finally quit.<br>

I'm not technologically savvy, but from reading this thread I presume I would have to do a workaround in order to use NikonScan with my new laptop. Either that or purchase VueScan or SilverFast. I'm wondering which would be the better option. I'm comfortable using NikonScan, but the other programs might work for me just as well. <br>

I would greatly appreciate any and all offers of advice. <br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, after several hours of trying, I was unable to make my CoolScan V ED work with NikonScan under Windows 7. Following instructions, I was careful<em> not</em> to install the Nikon drivers. Later when I got an indication that drivers were being installed, I took that to mean the VueScan drivers. At that point I thought NikonScan just might work; however, when I attempted a scan I got the same "post-processing" error message that I had gotten in the past.<br>

Maybe I'm missing a step, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions which might lead me to give it another try. Otherwise, I'll probably pay for VueScan.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>William,</p>

<p>The detailed instructions at <a href="http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html">this site </a>(referenced previously) will work if followed very carefully. First get rid of any VueScan drivers and anything else related before starting.<br>

It took me a few tries when I first did it. Very likely because I was careless. It does work.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>After many hours of trying to make NikonScan work with Widows 7 I finally gave up and purchased the full version of VueScan. The following day I talked to a computer repairman who informed me that before making the purchase I first should've tried using Win 7's compatibility tool which just might allow me to use NikonScan. Well, I tried it -- and, to my pleasant surprise, it works! I had no idea the fix would turn out to be so simple.<br>

I inserted the NikonScan disk, found the set-up file and right-clicked it. Then I went down to Properties and clicked on Compatibility. From the drop-down box I chose Vista Service Pack 2. (I'm pretty sure he told me that XP Service Pack 3 might also work.) <br>

The problem now, of course, is that I have already spent $80 for VueScan. Ordinarily Mr. Hamrick does not give refunds, but I'm wondering if he might make an exception in my case. Should I even ask for one? </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I'm trying to do this and somewhere there was a glitch. I downloaded the vuescan and the 4.0.3 vista as instructed and installed them as instructed. Vuescan can see the scanner just fine. But when I tried going back through the Nikon software, it still says there's no device available.</p>

<p>I did have to purchase a different cable because the firewire plug in on the new computer is different. Would that make it not work for me? </p>