Wide angle lens for Canon 50D

ellea

<p>Hi,<br>

I recently acquired a Canon 50D as a birthday gift, with a 24-105mm lens. I also purchased the 100mm macro lens since I do a lot of macro work. I'm thinking that both these lenses cover me for a great deal of what I'll use the camera for - macro, portraiture, and landscapes. However I'd still like to get a wider angle for landscapes. I'd like to know what you guys would recommend in this area. I want an EF lens so that when I upgrade to a FF in a few years time I can take the lenses with me. I'd prefer a Canon lens because I love the way they are built and the quality they give, but if I can be convinced otherwise, then a third party lens would be fine too.<br>

Thank you for the feedback :)<br>

<br /> Elle</p>

<p>The whole reason for EF-S was to make wide angle lenses for crop sensors, you should really reconsider.<br>

To get really wide on a crop sensor, you need something that starts in the 10mm range. The canon 10-22 EF-S is a very good example of this range.<br>

3rd party lenses that start at 10 or 11mm may be "EF" mount, but they only project an image circle for a crop sensor anyway, effectively making them EF-S.<br>

Not to mention 10mm on a crop and a full frame sensor would be drastically different.<br>

If you want wide on a crop, buy the 10-22, and sell it when you move up to full frame, and then buy a 17-40 or 16-35 EF. But these lenses won't get you really wide on a crop sensor, so don't buy the yet.</p>

<p>I just bought a 17-40mm lens and I've been using it on my XSi. It is wide enough for outstanding shots, and it's way cheaper than de 16-35. The lens build is superb, and the focusing speed is great. That's a good option. I didn't buy the 10-22, or perhaps the 17-55, because I wanted the lens to be compatible with EF mounts, just like you're stating.</p>

<p>If you want to see the capabilities of the 17-40 f/4 on a 1.6x cropped sensor like in the XSi, check this image out: <a href=" the historical giant

<p>I'd have to agree. Due to the crop factor, there isn't an EF lens that results in really wide on an APS-C camera. </p>

<p>You might keep in mind the quality of the EF-S 10-22 and it's likely resale value. I have this lens and the image quality is astounding. I'd have to say unless you're looking at going full frame withing the next few months, then this is the lens you want. </p>

<p>Elle,</p>

<p>I suggest you try a few to see how wide you want to go. I shoot with a 50D, and for me, like Erwin, 17mm is fine for landscapes, corresponding to about 27 mm on a full-frame camera. (I grew up with film and think of 35 mm as wide angle.) But for many people, 17 is too long. Unless you know just how wide you want to go, you could invest more $$ than you need to.</p>

<p>And enjoy your new camera. I got mine a few months ago (also a birthday gift), and I love it. It is a really capable camera, and once you learn your way around them, the controls are remarkably intuitive and fast.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I had a 40D with the 24-105 and I too did not want any EF-S lenses but in the end I finally broke down and got a used 10-22 that when I went to full frame I sold for exactly what I paid. Get the lens you need now, the canon prices always go up and you will get a good return if and when you sell it.</p>

<p>10-22 ( or some other UW ) and the 24-105 is a really nice combo on a 40/50D. </p>

<p>Elle,<br>

I have shot with the Canon EF 17-40mm and the Canon EF-s 10-22mm on my 40D. As far as a wide angle perspective, there is no comparison. The Canon 10-22 is the way to go. I understand that you will be switching to a full frame camera. Like others have said, you could sell the 10-22 when the time comes or keep it as a backup for your 50D. The Canon 10-22 is a little wider than the 17-40 on a full frame. Another option would be to rent one and see for yourself. I have attached a photo that was taken with the 10-22. Gook luck and good shooting.</p>

<p> </p><div>00UJs2-167905984.jpg.a2da366301c7c8c26c1fb21c5e4c3075.jpg</div>

<p>I won't get to detailed about the technical stuff but I have a 20mm that I use as my primary lens for my 5D Mark II and love the thing! I picked mine up second hand from a private party on Craigslist for $200.</p>

<p>You can see a series I shot while camping in the Anza Borrego Desert last week and every shot in here was with the 20mm:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inthery/sets/72157622090790230/</p>

<p>Consider selling your camera <strong>now</strong> and replacing it with either a 2nd hand 5D or the new 5D II. The 24-105mm you already have, is a superb wide angle on FF, unless of course you want to venture into ultra wide regions.</p>

<p>I own a 50D and IMO dpReview short changed this camera, but that's besides the point. I own both the Canon 10-22mm and 17-55mm f/2.8 zooms. The 10-22s only draw back is the lack of constant aperture, a minor one, IMO. The 17-55mm f/2.8 is superb, extremely sharp. A great walk around lens.</p>

<p>If you ever move to a full frame you can sell either of these lenses and get most of your money back as long as they aren't ragged out. So go for it!</p>

<p>The EFS 10-22 is a superb lens - I upgraded from a 20D to 50D earlier this year, and got the 10-22 with it. Sharp, good focus across the whole frame, and fast. If I upgrade to a full-frame camera at some point I will have a whole host of other things to worry about, so upgrading one lens at that time will be acceptable.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback everyone.<br>

I am really pretty reluctant to buy the 10-22 and have to sell it later. It would take me quite a while to save up the money to buy either of the lenses mentioned and so it seems to make more sense to buy something that I will have for a longer period of time like the 17-40mm. <br /> Is there a place I can see sample photos of the 17-40mm with the 50D as opposed to with a FF? I'd like to be able to see the comparison.</p>

<p>elle<br>

not sure how this makes sense. you say it would take a long time to save enough to buy a lens, however your long-term plan is to go full-frame. a ff body costs a lot more than a lens -- then comes all the associated costs to outfit the body with lenses, flash, etc.<br>

it still seems that the 10-22 is the best solution to see you through the next few years</p>

<p>Alan, I guess that's true. However, I have read that soon everything will be moving towards FF, which worries me. If I invest in the 10-22, and then I can't sell it for very much, that would be a problem. If I'm going to have it for a few years though, I suppose it's worth it... which I will. I'll have the 50D for at least another 3 years I would say.</p>

<p>The 10-22 is a highly desirable lens. I had the 10-22 and 17-55. When I bought a 5D I traded the 17-55 plus cash for a 24-70 and the 10-22 even for a 17-40. Both of those lenses are consistent sellers on POTN or Fredmiranda.<br>

Buy a used one, use it for a year or two and sell it for about what you paid for it. EF-S is here for the long haul and the 10-22 is a very good lens that will hold it's value.</p>

<p>Elle, I was like you before, like 2 years ago. Constantly worried about "future" compatibility, then I saw the light and got the 10-22 EF-S that I can use now. In fact I traded straight from the 17-40 to the 10-22. If you looked up the used price of this lens it's similar to the used 17-40 so if I got a good use of this EF-S lens I'm ahead already, this is a consumer item not an investment. Trade it, sell it when the time comes. People traded these 2 lenses on POTN and Fredmiranda all the time.<br>

Also once you have this lens you might not want to go full frame as you got the wide covered.</p>

<p>I'm in love with my 10-22mm if and when I go FF I might still keep my crop as back up and if I don't i know I should not have much troubles selling it for close to what I paid. While you have it I doubt you'll regret the purchase. It is an outstanding lens for your camera.</p>

<p>Elle,<br>

I was recently in the same predicament, having traditionally shot landscapes with an A-1 and FD 24mm f/2.8. When I decided to go digital, I realized I could not reasonably afford a full-frame EF mount. I therefore decided to go with a 450D (i.e., XSi) and Tamron SP 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6. Although the lens is essentially Tamron's version of an EF-S and will not mount of the FF camera I eventually purchase, the reality is that for a reasonable price I can shoot very good glass at a FF-equivalent of 18-29mm.</p>