Why Canon?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by fotografya, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I'm a 400D user , and very happy with it after my Pentax ist DL experience. I wonder why photograghers (us) choose
    Canon brand? What were your reasons?

2. I've heard and read much about Canon brand in PN society and the other online photo societies. There were man people using Canon equipment and positive feedbacks let me to Canon. I know there are many pro-photographers in PN society, and let's hear from them... MF

3. No particular reason. It's just alphabetically on top of the camera list so I chose it. I have used many high and low end cameras from different brands and I like them all.

4. At the time I bought my first dslr digital camera, Canon was way ahead in the noise department, don't know if I would go the same route at the present.

5. My film lenses fit my dslr. That was enough

6. At the time I switched to digital from a long discontinued film system, Canon had the best sensor tech. There are many more viable choices now so if I had to start over... who knows. The cameras also fit my hands well and the controls made sense, even if they aren't as fast as a nice old fashioned aperture ring on the lens.

7. [[My film lenses fit my dslr. That was enough]]

Same here.

8. Canon has the best system of lenses, bodies and accessories for my needs.

9. I have a Canon DSLR because I have a Canon film SLR, and it can use the same lenses.

I have a Canon film SLR because when I wanted one, the SLR that my local second hand camera shop had that I could afford and felt best in my hands was a Canon.

10. Canon had the First DSLR under $1000 (300D) -- it's why I chose Canon

11. Image quality, as in SUPERB image quality!

12. Wanted to get an auto focus film camera lo those many years ago, saw a review of a Sigma 28-200 lens, shots looked very nice, liked the range, and the caption said it was shot with a Canon Rebel G.

Figured I'd check one out, liked it alright, and voila, I became a Canoneer.

Over the years, no competitor has shown me any compelling reason to change

13. I've been using Canon FD lenses on FD bodies (F-1N, T90, A-1) over the past few years and have been very happy with both the operability of the system and with the results. And the cost has been pretty good, too. I've amassed a collection of superb pro-level lenses and bodies that would be well out of financial reach for me with current EOS or Nikon gear.

Alas, however, the times they are a-changin', and I thought I'd better look ahead to the days when film becomes obsolete or prohibitively expensive. So as a segue into the EOS system, I recently picked up an immaculate EOS-3 body and an EF 50/1.4 lens. My plan is to acquire the successor to the 5D (since I'm used to shooting full frame), provided that it's within my reach.

So why EOS, you might ask, especially since my beautiful FD glass isn't compatible with it? The answer is that I've been very happy with the FD system, and figured that the EOS system offers comparable quality, range of lenses, and usability. To quote Bob Dylan again, what's the use of changing horses in midstream, especially if you're happy?

14. I chose a canon EOS film SLR a very long time ago because I could get one second-hand for a good price. Never saw a reason to change, but stayed with the EOS system because of the investment in lenses and flash

15. I bought a film rebel and kit lens back in the early or mid 90s. At the time it was lighter and cheaper than the Nikon kit. Weight was important - I used this thing for hiking and travelling. Then I started collecting lenses. When I bought my 300D I saw no reason for switching.

16. In the 80s I shot Nikon and Contax. When the EOS 1 came out, I switched and never looked back.

Look at all of the choices you've got in the EF Lens line-up. This Choice, This Choice or That Choice.

Look at what the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and what the 50D offer.

Probably the most important is the Fit and Finish of the Product. I've had only one lens in my 18 years of Canon
    Shooting where a part came loose. It was the AF Switch on the EF 135 SF. But at that time the lens was 15 years old.
    And, Canon repaired it for free. I call that a Company that stands behind their products.

17. Canon and Nikon are probably equal. I prefer Canon's lenses and the way the camera operates. They have a feel that
    makes more sense for me.

I do prefer Nikons flash, the build of there camera bodies and how Nikon's AWB works but really I could flip a coin and be
    happy with either Canon or Nikon.

I never tried Sony or others simply because of what I have heard of Canon/Nikon being the best. I guess I am a victim of
    advertising to some degree but I never really care for any Sony products but there SLR's maybe just fine.

18. For me, a personal bias. I learned on an Canon AE-1 Program film camera, and I was (and still am) so delighted by how
    perfect that camera is that I figured Canon could have only built upon their strengths to be even stronger in the last couple
    decades since.

19. I shot with the Nikon film system and loved it. After I started to shoot Commercial work, the Nikon's sat and I eventually
    sold them. When I went to digital, the Canon reviews were outstanding and I bought the 1D and never regretted it. The full
    frame bodies, RAW files and the 85/1.2 leave me with no desire to go back. I do not need high ISO speeds, dedicated flash
    with matrix metering or ten frames a second.

20. The red ring looks much more attractive than the yellow logo.

Just kidding, I started without much experience about DSLR and photography and Canon seemed to be easier to
    understand when I did my research about the whole system. For example, EF lenses should fit and autofocus with
    every EOS camera, EF-S for 1.6 crop and L is the pro line. On the other hands, Nikkor lens line up had both auto
    and manual focus, and I just couldn't diffferentiate between AF, AF-S, G, D, and G IF. Of course, with little
    experience about cameras, I look at the megapixel count as a benchmark for my purchase and clearly the 8 mpx
    Canon Rebel Xt was "superior" than the Nikon D50 and Nikon D70, both at 6.1 mpx (the Xt was actually cheaper
    than the D70). So there you go that's how I went with Canon.

21. Fredo, the friendly Best Buy saleskid told me Canon is the king in the DSLR game.

22. I wanted a Nikon when I started on film way back in 1980, but I was a poor college student, and the Canon AT-1 was $100 +/- less than the Nikon. Fortunately Algore had not invented the internet, so I didn't have to spend hours reading others' opinions and reviews. I shot a 50 1.4 for years until I got a second lens. Never had a desire to switch to Nikon, didnt buy my first Eos film body until the system had been out a few years. In the beginning the eos lens system choices were limited, not the great selection like we have now. I've stuck with Canon, only "bad" experience was with a new 5d this year, in fact. When I got my first video camera 10 years ago, didn't really look at other brands than Canon, due to my still photography experience.

23. The 400D was on sale...

24. I, too, had a good sales pitch on Canon when I moved to digital, and I am happy with the results of the sales pitch. I
    spent time reviewing cameras, and found Canon and Nikon overall equal with having a superior point here and there
    over the other. My best firend uses NIkon with similar grades and styles of lenses, and we achieve simlar decent
    results if we as photographers so what we need to do.

25. Canon's triple rebates and Dell used to offer some xx% off coupons made it more reasonable for an amateur to own a set of DSLR gears. But Canon never offers triple rebates again and Dell lhas listed Canon’s MSRP when offering xx% coupons since I switched from Nikon (film) to Canon. :-(

I'm thinking to move back to Nikon (D700 + 12-24 F2.8 + …) and to keep 5D+100-400mm (which is a great kit).

26. In my opinion canon and Nikon make the best digital SLRs. In the end my decision between the two came down to one thing. The zoom rings on Canon lenses turned the direction I'm used to. Nikon's turn the "wrong" way.

27. sbp

sbp

I used Nikon film bodies. When i switched to digital, the Canon bodies fit my hand better, had intelligent controls, and i
    liked the lenses offered.

28. Canon customer service is second to none they are fantastic!

29. High availability of quality 3rd-party lenses.

I had my choice narrowed to Nikon and Canon. But that's what put Canon ahead of Nikon, for me.

--Jim

30. I actually chose by mistake, I mixed between the Nikon D40 and the Canon 350D. And bought the 350D, today I do not regrett it one bit. The reason is one letter, L.

31. Why not?

32. It was those darn Canon ads in my parents collection of 1980's era National Geographic's.

33. I am a Nikonian and if i have to choose other than Nikon, I would prefer the Canon, at least at todays scenario. I can not beleive on any brand other than Nikon and secondly Canon.

34. I started in high school with a Minolta X-700. When the Maxxum was released, they changed the lens mount, and I started buying Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses to keep my options open. In the late 90s I "switched to digital" by investing in a very good negative/slide scanner. At that time, no digital camera could match the quality.

Early 2003, I was getting really really tired of scanning, and digital P&S cameras were getting very good. At that time, available DSLRs very expensive for what they did, so I went digital with a Nikon CoolPix 4500, an excellent P&S. I expected to shoot digital and film, but the digital was soooo much easier that I've been shooting just that.

I always intended to return to SLR, and finally lost patience with the 4500 this spring and started researching the market. I wanted to go full frame - wide-angle is important to me, and the wide-angle options are better full frame, and probably always will be. I also wanted to be able to use my old Tamron lenses. The EOS 5D appeared to be the only camera that fit those requirements and that I could afford. I waited a while to see if another version was released, then there were summer price reductions I decided to go ahead and buy. I'm loving it so far.

35. In 2005 I had (still have) Nikon film slrs. I shied away from the Nikon D70 because there were complaints about noise and
    moire problems. I bought the 20D, and I have found that it still works great.

36. I've been a Nikon SLR user since 1990. Back then Nikon was the King of 35mm. However, it didn't take long before Canon was releasing one breakthrough after another, such as IS and Ultrasonic focusing and quieter drives. But by then it was too late for me to switch brands because I had a significant investment in Nikon equipment. I usually recommend Canon to people who are just starting out. I don't want them to make the same mistake I made 18 years ago.

37. If an expected windfall occurs, I'm going with the 5D. The Canon bodies are on the thin side. This means that I can use several excellent wide angle primes (Contax, Nikon, Leica R) with adapters, as well as the better EF primes (50mm f1.4 and 85 f1.8 comes to mind). I also have my eye on a 70-200L f4.

Pentax almost won me over with the K20D and pancake 21mm, but I don't want to deal with crop factors and tunnel-vision viewfinders, if I have an alternative.

38. [[My film lenses fit my dslr. That was enough]]

That was the same for me. I saw no need to switch and buy a bunch of new lenses.

39. [[My film lenses fit my dslr. That was enough]]

me too

Now why I had the EOS system in the first place was because I was in a class and I had an Olympus om10. I wanted something a little more advanced and I asked the guy at the shop for the best camera for a certain $ amount that had auto bracket. He suggested Canon. If he had said Nikon, I would probably have that to this day

40. I just recently switched to Canon. I shot Minolta and at the end Sony for 20-25 years. But, I've gotten involved in a venture where I needed better support and accessories than Sony/Aftermarket currently provide. So I decided it was time to, at least temporarily, try another brand. Obvious choices were Canon or Nikon. After tons of research, I came to the conclusion that even though I think Nikon's latest body offerings are stellar, especially the 700, comparable glass was more expensive in the Nikon camp. Body tech is advancing so fast it's impossible to even venture a guess who will be the leader even a year from now, but the glass is more of a constant, bigger, more worthy investment in the long run IMO. So Canon got the nod. At least for now. Still have all my old gear though. Gonna wait and see how fast Sony closes on the competition before the decision is finalized. :)

41. Honestly, Nikon was out of stock when I went to buy my first DSLR. It was a toss up between Nikon and Canon at
    the time and from everything I read I'd be happy with either company.

42. I always shot Nikon and Minolta but only had two lenses for the Nikon and one for my Maxxum 7000. Back in the mid-to-late 90s I saw an article on the Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM, I was so fascinated by the capabilities of the lens that, in my mind, it set the manufacturer on another level. A few years later I got my first DSLR, a 20D, then a 40D, and finally a 5D. Now if I could just afford that lens... and a car large enough to transport it.

43. When I bought my first dSLR (350D) Canon had the best bang for the buck in an entry-level dSLR. I had been a Pentax shooter, but I wasn't really interested in their offerings at the time, nor was I that interested in Nikon's offering. My decision was also influenced by my experience with other Canon products.

44. I've told some of the story before, so I'll keep it short (cries of yes!)

After starting with Pentax, I used film Nikon cameras for years (1971-), but when I decided to go digital, no
    Nikon company (and I tried several
    different national ones) would give me any information on compatibility with digital Nikon bodies of my old
    manual lenses.

I actually ordered a Nikon dSLR on Amazon at a really inexpensive price, only to get an e-mail directly me to
    send a money order to Transylvania (really, I'm not making this up!).

Then I found Bob Atkin's site, and I think it was he who made some kind of comment on how sympatico Canons and
    Macintosh
    computers were -- I'm a Mac Mujihadi. Since it looked like I was going to have to buy all new lenses anyway, I
    decided to buy a then-current 20D. Only after doing so, did I discover that all of my old non-AI Nikon lenses,
    plus many other mounts, would mount beautifully on my EOS camera.

Also, Nikon at the time I crossed the great divide was simply not as innovative as Canon had been (witness the
    migration of professionals to Canon after 1986). Nikon is struggling to catch up, and on some features at any
    given time is ahead of Canon; but, in the long run, I'm now more comfortable with Canon innovation.

45. Exact same as David up above, national geographic adds! Help save wildlife, shoot it with a Canon! :) thats damned good advertising when i can still remember it 20 yrs later!

46. I'd used Canon S400 P&S very nice pocket camera, I like the controls and picture styles, bought XTI then.

47. 5D, no regrets, then on to the 1DsIII-which is far greater than it's detractors would have one believe. If the Nikon sales rep wouldn't have sneered that they would never have a full frame Nikon and that no thinking person should even want one, it might have been different. I owned dozens of Nikons in my film days.

48. About 2000, I had two Pentax ME Super bodies and a bunch of lenses. I decided I "needed" a top of the line, auto-
    everything 35mm SLR. So I went to the local camera store and said, "Sell me a camera." The clerk showed me
    Canon and Nikon SLRs. He was a Canon owner himself, but didn't know much about the Nikon. So I walked out
    with a new A2E and EF 28-135 IS lens. No regrets, what so ever.

49. When it was time to replace my personal film system (all Minolta, 3 bodies, 5 lenses) due to them being finally defunct from exposure to sand, dust, etc. I was set on purchasing Nikon. I'd used Bronica, Canon, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Minolta & Nikon for my work assignments most of the time already (military photo labs stock an assortment of cameras). However, after researching a bit, and discovering that lovely red ring (it has to be a portal to another dimension that just sucks money out of your bank account whenever it gets above a certain level), and running across the 5D, I went Canon. No complaints. And the military installation's regular photographer who usually toted Nikon's drooled over my camera = no cognitive dissonance.

50. I saw mostly Canon logos while watching sports. I like sports so I must like Canon too. LOL.

51. When I decided to buy a DSLR, the EOS 350D was on sale so I bought it. fantastic value for money and so
    easy to use. More recently, I bought a 40D, partly because i already had lenses, partly because the menu is
    similar to that of the 350D and also because it is a great camera to handle. Holding the camera, you can just
    feel the quality. The Canon menu is simply the easiest and most intuitive that I have come across.

I had a play with a colleagues Nikon D60 last week and the menu drove me crazy. Nice camera though, but the lens
    ring turning the "wrong" way just feels wrong too. When the 5D is replaced, I may upgrade to its replacement.

52. Canon 10D and lenses is what I saw in the pawn shop window for £200 o I bought it. Previously I was always Zenit then Olympus and Nikonos. I would like to buy the Pentax K20D I've been playing with though as it's much more outdoor friendly and better I think.

53. Canon's film SLR's are a bargain at second hand prices and when thinking ahead I prefered to invest in the Canon system that appeared better for me and easier to upgrade with within the well thought out EOS system. I've just bought my first digital body (40D) this month and am very pleased with it. I have faith in Canon as a company coming through with the goods though I'm sure Nikon are great too the only thing that tempts me is their hardy film SLR's of yore.

It also probably helps that I find Canon's marketing more convincing. :)

54. It's about the lenses. If you look at the selection of lenses Canon offers, they have several proffesional grade lenses that you can pick up for $600 or less. When you look at the build quality and how good the glass is, by far one of the best deals out there. They also have always seemed to have a edge in IQ, until recently with Nikon D3, D700 & D300. But with Canon's new offerings coming out, that could change again in Canon's favor.

55. Lenses. Three years ago when I jumped (was pushed?) from 4x5 to Digital, Canon had a reasonably priced full frame camera, the 5d, and a
    full line of TS-E lenses. No one else did. That has recently changed (and had I waited I would have missed three years worth of
    commercial work) however Canon, IMHO, still has a superior lens line and the best image quality in the business. The gap has narrowed
    but the f/4 Canon L Zooms are reason enough to choose Canon over the competition.

56. I love the slippery plastic bodies of the low-priced DSLRs and the controls that always feels as if they are in the wrong place. Photography, after all, should be challenging!

Seriously, I'm a Nikon user, so the layout of Nikon cameras feels 'natural' to me. But I have shot quite a bit with my brother-in-law's 5D and his 'L' glass. It's a nice camera, but the glass didn't seem any better than my Nikon glass. And neither comes close to the glass on my Mamiya 7. Anyway, if you can't produce nice photos with either Nikon or Canon, it's because the problem is you. The gear, overall, is excellent.

57. It is almost ten years ago that I abandoned Pentax or should I say Pentax abandoned me. I was looking to switch
    over to an autofocus system and the EOS 300 had everything I needed. It had an amazingly cheap build, but also
    had 7 a point fast autofocus, reliable 35 zone metering, AEB, continous drive modes and on camera flash with TTL
    metering. It was a huge step up in convenience from the fully manual camera and flash that I had been using. In
    value terms, it was miles ahead of what Pentax was offering at the time.

While I see plenty of features in other systems that I like, such as Pentax's in-body stabilisation and Nikon's flash
    and AWB system the Canon system suits me overall. In particular the EF-S 10-22 and 24-105 f4L make a great two
    lens combination that forms the core of my kit. I am not sure how I could replicate this in another system.

58. I had a lot of Canon FD gear, starting with an AE-1 in 1976. The switch to new auto-focus gear was a commitment,
    but I was glad that I did it. With a bag of Canon auto-focus lenses, the choice to upgrade to digital Canon bodies was
    easy. And I am still very happy with Canon. Four or five FD bodies and a bag of lenses, four auto-focus film bodies
    and a bigger bag of lenses, three digital SLR bodies and tow digital P&S cameras later, Canon continues to be a fine
    choice. Now if only there was a 5D replacement on the market....

59. My first camera was a Minolta X7A, and I used it for many years happily (it got me through school). I've also had a
    Rolleiflex TLR, a Calumet 4x5, a Graflex Speedgraphic, and all manner film point-and-shoots.<p>
    When digital invaded our world, I shot a Kodak DCS-1, which belonged to my college. Anyone else remember carrying that pack around?
    Yeah. The
    view camera seemed nimble in comparison, and we regarded it as more of a toy than a tool.<p>
    I put off buying a digital camera for a long time, until I saw the Olympus E-10. I liked it so much, I put all my film gear
    (by then mostly covered in dust) up on eBay and bought one. I still have that tank, though it developed electrical problems
    a few years after I bought it and ate batteries like Amy Winehouse eats bennies. The flip-out LCD was *so* cool, and let me shoot waist-
    level (a shooting style I came to love with the Rollei)<p>
    A few years back I bought a Canon S1 IS for my ex. I LOVED that camera, and used the hell out of it until my ex
    became my ex and got custody of it. I then bought an S3 IS (because I had to have a better one, of course >.<) and
    enjoyed it until I really started getting serious about getting back into shooting. As good of a P&S the S3 is, it's still a
    P&S, even if it did have a cool flippy LCD. No hot shoe and no Raw pretty much sealed the deal.<p>
    So last year, I took a look at what was on the market. Canon and Nikon mostly, but I looked into Sony, Olympus, etc,
    since I didn't have any lenses to tie me to one brand. I was starting fresh. I looked at what Pentax had to offer, and
    was just as impressed as I'd ever been with Pentax (not overly). When Olympus tried to tell me that a smaller sensor
    was really the way to go, I ruled them out, too. I have been personally offended by crop sensors ever since the DCS-1,
    because I like wide angle shooting and I like larger formats and a bigger negative is a better negative (thanks, Ansel). <p>
    After much fiddling, debating, and agonizing, I decided to throw in my lot with Canon, mostly because Canons just seem
    to be set up right for me. I could pick up a Canon and in under a minute, figure out where everything was and start
    shooting. I tried this with Nikon, and was almost instantly frustrated. I don't know if this is because of my experience
    with the S3 or just because Nikon puts things in odd places (to me). <p>
    I bought an XTi, with an eye toward the 5D. I figured the XTi was a cheap way to get my into Canon and I'd buy a 5D
    "someday". I think I made the right choice, both in Canon and the XTi, it's been a phenomenal camera for the price.<p>
    Now, "someday" seems to be right around the corner, and I eagerly await Photokina and the possibility of a new 5D. If
    it's anything like the latest rumors, I'm in.

60. "I love the slippery plastic bodies of the low-priced DSLRs and the controls that always feels as if they are in the wrong
    place. Photography, after all, should be challenging!

Seriously, I'm a Nikon user, so the layout of Nikon cameras feels 'natural' to me. But I have shot quite a bit with my
    brother-in-law's 5D and his 'L' glass. It's a nice camera, but the glass didn't seem any better than my Nikon glass. And
    neither comes close to the glass on my Mamiya 7. Anyway, if you can't produce nice photos with either Nikon or Canon,
    it's because the problem is you. The gear, overall, is excellent."

If you're using a Nikon of course the controls feel like they're in the wrong place when you pick up a Canon. When I pick
    up my RZ the controls feel funny after having used my 'Blad, of course that camera feels funny after having shot all day
    with my Rollei 6008I, but then that seems a little weird after fondling the Leica for a while. You know, the Bessa takes
    like a WHOLE MINUTE to get used after using my Canon.

I just can't figure out how to shoot a Canon ... I'm after all just a mere human.

61. When it appeared that Nikon might never bring out a full-frame DSLR, I bought the 5D in the summer of 2006. At the time Canon was also definitely ahead in terms of low noise at relatively high ISO.

Though I have since also bought the 1Ds II and some good Canon lenses, I still miss Nikon in many ways. Canon glass has been very good, however (even better than I thought that it would be), and so I really don't expect to go back. There is no particular reason to do so. They are both very good, as are other brands as well.

Before the 5D, the only digital cameras I ever owned were the Olympus E-20 (which I still have and still use occasionally) and the Kodak 14n, which used Nikon glass. Each had its strengths and weaknesses, and I have enjoyed them all.

--Lannie

62. By the way, I kept some of my Nikon glass and still use it on the Canon bodies.

--Lannie

63. My family's been using Canon SLRs since the FL mount in the late 1960's, so when it was time for my first SLR, they bought me a Rebel X. Then it was some lenses, then an Elan 7, then a 20d

64. When I decided to get back into photography, strictly a hobby, I picked up a used Nikon F3 at a local camera shop. Great camera, light as a brick, built like a camera should be. My eyes not being what they used to be (farsighted), I found it hard to achive good focus some times. Autofocus was the answer. Took the F3 back to the same shop looking to trade-in and they showed me the new Canon Elan II with a 28-80 kit lens. He showed me how to load the film the rest was intuitive. Really liking the diopter adjustment on the 40D that I recently upgraded to.

65. the first digital rebel was affordable for my student budget (i won't a photography student) and my
    brother already had the 10d. <br>
    KN

66. I don't think I chose it with the brand loyalty many have for their gear. I've used all sorts of gear for decades including some professional work and much work supporting the technology and I had a lack of bad experiences. That added to Canon being ahead of Nikon when I made the plunge would be the answer.

To be honest I find all the stuff from the well known brands to be good, but that probably comes from still using a 58 year old camera and working with the first Kodak modified Canon and Nikon digital SLRs.

If push comes to shove I will admit that Canon's IS lenses probably did much to make my commitment to their system. At the time they had both pro and consumer IS lenses in lengths important to me.

67. I think that you will find that if you put the Canon lenses (not bodies) to the test, that the quality is spotty. I have shot Contax (absolutely the best 35mm lenses and bodies ever made, especially the AX), Nikon, Monolta, Pentax and Canon. Nikon and Pentax lenses are the best out of box, after the Contax. Canon's lens quality control just doesn't match up.

68. I began looking at Canon because years ago a good friend had a Canon SureShot Max and loved it. Prior to that I
    didn't know much about cameras beyond the Olympus InfinityZoom p&s I was using at the time. I read about the EOS
    Elan (the first model) and was impressed by the good reviews it got, so in June of '94 i went down to the camera
    shop and asked about the Elan. A salesman showed me the then-new EOS A2 as well as the Nikon N90. The A2 felt
    better in my hand, so that did it for me. Nothing else, no opinions about whether Nikon was better than Canon or
    vice versa, simply the way one felt in my hand. I've stayed with Canon for the most part, although I used a Nikon
    D1 and D1H for a brief period. I happen to think that my EOS 1vHS is a phenomenally great camera (the greatest
    camera overall, ever!), and even though my 30D is no longer a new camera, it's still an excellent camera to me.
    That being said, I don't have the fanboy loyalty to any brand that some folks do; whatever camera does exactly
    what I want in a way that I'm most comfortable with, that's the camera I'll buy. The Canon 50D looks like a
    wonderful camera, but the D300 looks like a camera worth considering as well. At present though, my 1vHS and my
    30D do all that I need cameras to do, and they do it quite well, something I've come to expect from my Canon
    cameras, which is why I continue to use them. Plus, there is the amazing 70-200 f/2.8L IS, a lens worth building
    a system around in my opinion and my all-time favorite Canon lens.

69. ...and then I read Thomas Hardy's response and I think he is "spot on." BTW, you can buy white gaffer tape to wrap around your long lenses!

70. My mom and sister bought their first SLR each which my mom got the AE-1. I used that camera some times back when and liked it a lot. I finally got my own 35mm camera which was a T70 and later upgraded to the T90. We've always been a Canon family. When my T90 died twice, I gave up on it and moved on to EOS. Digital was around in 2003, but I still prefered using film- so I got an Elan 7 which I still use today. Since I gathered a few EOS lenses I also ventured into digital a few times, but never kept those cameras. I not long ago got a 1N-HS. Around the time my T90 died, my mom gave me her AE-1 which I still have and use now and then. But I needed autofocus which is why around a later time the Elan 7 was purchased. My eye sight isn't what it used to be. Im happy using my film cameras, but am debating to get into the 5D replacement if it is 21 megapixels. If not I may consider the 50D.

71. In Vietnam I first bought a Canon Pellix (that should take you back!) because it was cheaper than a Nikon in the PX and I couldn't stand one of the shits in our unit was was a Nikon snob. Great reason, right? Over the years I had some others film bodies and when I wanted something to shoot pictures of moving animals (show dogs, actually) I tested the autofocus on both Canon and Nikon. At the time, Canon was quick and Nikon was sluggish so I bought a couple of A2 bodies and started building lenses. Then I sold the A2s and went to the EOS3 and absolutely loved it. I liked the ergonomics and the feel of the cameras in my hands. When I sold the film stuff to go digital it was a natural transition because of the ergonomics and my lenses. Image quality? Not a factor in my decision, because I am convinced that Nikon and Canon are pretty much equal. My advice to new people just now buying in is to go to a local shop and feel the product, work with it and pick what feels right and what seems most logical in its operation. This Canon v. Nikon thing never worked for me.

72. Canon has large number of lenses for me to choose.

73. Here's a theory. (Maybe I'll start a separate thread on it.) It relates to the topic of this thread, but maybe even more to brand loyalty.

Realizing of course that there are exceptions to any rule dealing with human behavior and emotion, my theory is that most Nikon owners are in love with their cameras. (The same goes for Leica.) Canon owners tend to see their cameras more in terms of being the best tools for the job, or perhaps as the most convenient way to do the kind photography they practice, without having that same emotional fervor as the owners of the the other prestige brands.

Whadya think of that theory?

74. Oh yeah... i know this story...

First, being impressed by the number of L-lenses, eye-control function, as well as big boards of Canon (which are bigger than those of Nikon and others..) I got EOS 30 with eye-control function...

However, when the digital era came, I got the best buy -- Nikon D50, and I love it, since the philosophy of Nikon-as-a-camera is in my opinion more strong than the philosophy of Canon-as-a-computer.

Now I have D300 and I would chose it again over any Canon (even EOS 1xx), if I have to choose again, at least because it has an external i.e. "real" mirror lock-up, which means nikon produce a camera, not a computer.
    Mirror lock up is of course just an example, not critical for me at all..., but the feeling of the Camera. It is something.. Sorry guys..

NB.

75. Only Canon brought out first DSLR under USD1000. And my personal feeling is - Canon's picture quality is better than Nikon.

76. My first SLR was an OM-1 I was a student and could only afford that (with a 50 and 80-200 lens). All the professional photographers around me were using Nikon and a friend had a very nice new FM2 which I very much liked. There were definitely times when I could not easily see the the match needle to set exposure.

As time drew on I moved over to a Pentax MX and had opportunity to use the companies Minolta X-700

I added a Chinon CE-4 body to my set for various reasons but stayed mainly Pentax while looking at the alternatives available.

Nikon: I loved the look and the operations, but the smaller lighter bodies from the OM-1 and had sold me on that front.

Canon: I'd handled a few of the earlier bodies (FD mount)and while I liked the mount on the body wasn't really keen the lens side (way too easy to get grit in there). Then EOS came out and I liked this idea more.

The crunch came for me when I was working on an a contract and my Chinon camera body failed. I bought a Canon EOS 630 and some lenses to do the job while the service company dicked about with the body (I didn't want to piss off my client so I just used it as an excuse to try something new and wore it).

This particular job was a public relations gig with lots of people in groups and general conference stuff. The AF system of the EOS was a little distracting to use (center focal point only) but when it worked was fantastic!

I was further sold when the camera had a little failure and Canon gave me a replacement body while mine was being fixed. Meanwhile my Chinon was still sitting in the workshop waiting for parts.

So in the end it wasn't just that I liked the camera, it was the service support they provided. The Nikon presence in my city at that time wasn't as good.

77. 33 years ago my classmate Thomas was the first one to buy a Canon FTb, and so did his friends. If Thomas had had an Asahi Pentax at that time, I would probably be reading the Pentax Forum...now seriously, there are of course many possible reasons, marketing eg. I am living in Poland now, and it seems to me that far more people (no tourists but locals) use Nikon, and also in the shops there seem to be more Nikon and Sony than Canon.
    I still have 4 FD bodies which work fine and which I use every now and then, but I switched to Nikon DSLR some years ago. I was just curious.
    And they did not disappoint me!

78. Personal recommendation and explanation of the EOS system mainly.

I could have quite easily have gone with either Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Minolta (as they were) etc. but after a recommendation on the EOS 5 (the A2/A2E in the US) and loving it when I got it, I had no reason to change. I have stuck with Canon for SLRs, as my EOS 5 broke last Christmas and whilst I was gutted, it did spur me on to get an EOS 3 which is a profoundly excellent camera to work with, if a bit heavy. I'll stick with the EOS 3 until it dies, and I'll probably get hold of another EOS 3 for backup. The 1v is too heavy for my needs and does nothing that I find compelling to improve what I do with the 3. This is the same reason as I have absolutely no reasons to look at something like a Nikon F100, it won't make a difference.

I have other cameras (Olympus XA, Trip 35 and Mamiya C330 TLR system and soon a Voigtlander Bessa R3a) so I'm not alergic to other brands, I just use what I like in that respect. To me my Canon equipped with a telephoto e.g. 70-200 f/4L is excellent kit to work with and great for portraiture. Going to another system wouldn't make me think "Oh my goodness my photos are at least five times better!" -- they would be as good I am sure of that as they are now.

So really it's not about I thought it was best, it was a case of I was told it was good, I agreed but not to the detriment of other systems and built up a small system that would be a bit silly to change.

79. History: When I bought my first DSLR Canon was way better in noise performance than any competitor. My
    Olympus OM film equipment was obsolete including the lens mount, so I had to buy a new system from scratch.

Now: I still would go with Canon. Currently Nikon has very good camera bodies but the cost of a whole system is
    significantly higher. Most Nikon lenses are more expensive than comparable Canon lenses without offering better
    performance. Pentax has a nice body (K20D), but besides some very good (and expensive) prime lenses, the current
    Pentax lens lineup is far behind Canon's. I haven't looked close enough to Sony and the Four Thirds system, so I
    can't say anything about that.

All in all I feel quite comfortable with the Canon system. Even if one or the other manufacturer has added an
    attractive feature to the camera body or may be an attractive lens missing in Canon's (large) lineup, this does not
    justify the cost and the learning curve implied by a system change.

80. I had a Canon FD film system, however I was pissed was Canon for abandoning FD and moving to the EF mount that I was thinking Nikon. (I got most of by FD system around 1980, so it had a fairly short mainstream life)

However, on investigation I found that the famed Nikon backwards compatibility was not so straight forward as Nikon present it. Also I found the Nikon range of lenses difficult to understand in terms of functionality and quality.

Finally I realised that Canon had it right with the EF mount and this was an excellent engineering solution; I came to realise what a brave and bold maket decission it was for Canon to abandon FD. Also Canon had a clear lead in the Imaging sensor technology. They had a fairly clear lens line up that was relatively easy to understand.

Thus I stayed with Canon.

81. Growing up I always wondered why all the photographers on the side of the football field, olympic field, race track, pool , etc, used those enormous white lenses. Now I know ! It's all about those lenses. Like motor cars the top camera manufacturers all produce great bodies. Insignificant differences. Stop bitching about the kit and go take some pictures.

82. I started with a Canon F1 and loved so I figured stay with the same brand. Also at the time I went digital Canon had hands down the best sports shooting setup around. Now times are changing and Nikon once again has alot to offer the sports photographer. 1D MKII and a 300 f2.8, oh yeah........

83. I used to own a Nikon D200, I traded it in on a Mamiya 645 AFD II, I loved my D200, but I started loving medium format
    film even more. Now I am thinking of getting a new digital SLR. It is a hard choice between Canon and Nikon. They both
    make some fantastic cameras. I will have to give Canon credit because pretty much every camera the make is worth every
    dime (including point and shoot). Nikon's point and shoots, in my opinion are not quite as good, but their DSLRs are
    excellent. I have to give Nikon credit for lens compatibility. All in all, they both have advantages and disadvantages, but I
    wouldn't think twice about either one. It more boils down to which one do you feel more comfortable shooting. Which one
    feels more like an extension of yourself and does not get in the way of making good shots. The camera does not make the
    photographer, a good camera just makes it easier for a photographer to achieve their goals with little interruption.

84. When I was young (between 7 and 9 I'd guess) the father of a friend of mine bought a Canon A1. It had a magical
    attraction to me. That father was a very serious -though sometimes equipped with a dry humor- man that seemed
    wise and proficient in anything he did. He was no true professor but had that certain highbrowed absentmindedness
    of one.

When I made some money (around 21 I'd guess) I bought a Canon EOS 650 based upon those memories.

Two years ago I bought a 400D after 18 years of using my 650 which always performed well for me. (And because of
    lens compatibility but the 35-70 isn't that good and the Sigma 70-210 doesn't work on my 400D...)

So let's summarize at "for sentimental reasons".

Matthijs.

85. My wife and I had a D70 and D50 respectively, untill, living in South Africa suffered the inevitable burglary and lost all equipment. When we tested the various options, including the 30D with various lenses, we found that the autofocus impressed us, being very fast and quiet compared to the Nikon. That sold us.

86. While on a holiday in 2004 I stopped off in Singapore. After an hour's haggling in a camera shop I got the store
    owner down to $600 off what I could get a Canon 300D for back home. The 300D in 2004 was the first "affordable"
    DSLR. So I got it and have been with Canon ever since. Regrets? Not really, though I think Nikon has closed the
    gap, which is good because that will continue to drive Canon to new heights. My main gripe is a lack of in-body
    IS. But both Canon and Nikon have a legacy to protect... There are far more choices in 2008 than there were 4
    short years ago. Would I still choose Canon now? Well, yes because I have a fair investment in lenses and
    accessories and am quite happy with their performance. I see no reason to switch to other systems though I
    believe Pentax deserves a serious look for a non-professional like me.

Cheers, Bob

87. "Realizing of course that there are exceptions to any rule dealing with human behavior and emotion, my theory is that most Nikon owners are in love with their cameras. (The same goes for Leica.) Canon owners tend to see their cameras more in terms of being the best tools for the job, or perhaps as the most convenient way to do the kind photography they practice, without having that same emotional fervor as the owners of the the other prestige brands.

Whadya think of that theory?"

It's not a theory, it's a hypothesis. Theories are actually supported by fact.

88. Canon saved me big on lens. I rather my Nikon for build quality & ISO but Nikon Glass is and has always been pricey. Canon was simply economics for me.

-Joe

89. I heard God uses a Canon. No?

Actually, I was leaning towards Pentax, but my dad really liked the Canon he picked up, so I ended up getting a Canon instead.

90. The 300D was the cheapest DSLR at the time...

Not very glamorous but its how I entered the EOS system.

91. Image quality. When I bought my 20D, Canon was clearly ahead the rest. And also, old manual focus lenses are adaptable to it.

92. After my Canon FD system was stolen in the early 90s, I compared Nikon and Canon - and at the time, the Nikon's
    user interface was incomprehensible to me and Canon's made sense, so I went with Canon. Since then I built up my
    lens collection so I am staying with Canon. It would cost way too much to switch compared to any benefits gained
    from switching.

93. The lenses. I wanted a 100mm f/2.0 for my Canon film slr. The only AF 100mm available is the Canon EF 100mm and the Nikkor 105mm DC. The Nikkor cost more than twice the Canon.

94. i'm a nikon user, and my concern is, which has the better image quality nikon or canon? i haven't tried canon yet. any thoughts?

95. Canon has better lens portfolio.
    Good body and features.

I just love the simplicity in the ergonomics and layout on the Canon.

96. It's simple. It was the 5D. I was waiting for a full frame that I could afford (sort of). I was shooting with a Pentax 67II,
    which I still miss a little, but I wanted to move over to digital. I am happy that I did, and that I got the Canon. Now Canon
    is teasing us about a 5D replacement (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08090501somethingcanon.asp).

97. Why not Canon ? ;-)

98. We had Canon film SLRs, going with any thing other then a Canon DSLR would not have made much sense. If we had Nikons Film SLRs we most likely would have gone with Nikon.

99. With a Zorki one can use Canon; Nikon; Kodak; Leica

100. Canon are a very large company with a good reputation for producing excellent cameras and lenses. And traditionally they've always produced cameras that generate the lowest noise at high ISO settings (a high priority for me). A Canon camera also looks and feels well designed and made, so is a joy to use.

101. If Canon users are more pragmatic, and not in "love" with their cameras, that certainly doesn't apply to the "L-bound" crowd about their lenses. I've never seen Nikon users so worked up over glass....

102. No kidding! And if I'm being honest, I'm "in love" with my 1v and probably always will be, no matter what dslr I use. Come to think of it, I like my 30D an awful lot too.

103. Robert Budding,

You are right. My choice of words could have been better. In fact, "opinion" might have been an even better word
    than "hypothesis."

Imagine, ten years of college and graduate school in the sciences and I made such a poor choice of words.

Anyway, what is your opinion on the my theory/hypothesis/opinion.

JDM, good point about L-glass.

104. My first camera was a Zenith 122K, where I learnt to handle a SLR camera, and then I got my self a Canon Elan7. Thus began my love for Canon. Later I got myself a Canon XTi.
    I found Canon point and shoot digital camera intuitive, easy to use and the manual mode was good, though I never owned a point and shoot Canon, but had at various occasion handled some. I have been advocating Canon Cameras to all my friends!
    Also, I am happy that the Lens that I bought for Elan 7 are usable with XTi, and both have Metal lens mount.

105. My wifes then boyfriend bought her a Canon Xs (film). When we got together she started getting lenses. When we upgraded to digital, the fact that we already had lenses made the Canon seem like a logical choice, that and it was on sale. We were lucky. I got the chance to use a Nikon D50 and let me tell you I was soooo lost with the menus. Glad to have the XTi back in my hands (not knocking Nikon, just wasnt for me).

106. I wanted to learn and get into photography in 2006. I was saving money for a DSLR, but I didn't know what to get because
    well, I didn't know anything! I thought it would be best to get a cheap film SLR off ebay and learn the basics. I heard about
    the AE-1 Program and learned it inside out once I got it. When it was time to buy a DSLR, I was actually going to get a
    Nikon, but quickly changed my mind right at the counter! I think it was natural for me to get a Canon (400D, by the way)
    because I started out with a Canon. Since then, I've added the EOS-1N to my arsenal. I think most photographers go with a
    particular brand because that's what they started out with and the one they are most familiar with. If I had learned
    photography with a Nikon, I'm sure that's what I would be stuck with today =)

107. Because my father gave me his old EOS 650 with 50mm lens. And everyone else I knew had EOS bodies, making it easy
    to borrow lenses.

108. Because it was an affordable full frame sensor, and I like wide angle lenses, and don't like using the middle of very
    expensive lenses.

109. [[My film lenses fit my dslr. That was enough]]
    Ditto

110. which has the better image quality nikon or canon? any ideas?

111. "which has the better image quality nikon or canon? any ideas?"

Absolutely impossible question to answer. Seriously, can't be done.

Back on topic: I came to Canon as a result of owning the Nikon D200 - a camera that made Canon shooters out of a lot of Nikon users.

112. Cost! Upgrading from my Nikon D70s to D300 was too expensive, so I switched to Canon 40D.

I was not really happy with 40D, running IQ tests against my Nikon D70s, I did not see any IQ improvement at ISO
    200/400 (I never shoot high ISO), but then I tried 5D! The IQ difference was significant with many many subtle
    improvements. Nikon had no answer to 5D (still does not have in the same price range). Selling my Nikon lenses
    and flash was no issue at all.

I hate canon's rendition of jpg colors (I can not get accurate, saturated colors that are not overblown), so I
    have been forced to shoot raw. I DO NOT want more than 12MP. The file size will kill me!.

Other reasons to switch to Canon:

100-400mm lens (Nikon's alternative is too slow)

70-200 f/4 lens (No Nikon alternative)

100mm macro ($450) (Nikon's is $300 more)

10-22mm (for APS-C) or 17-40 f/4 (for 5D) (though I am using a $70 Tokina 19-35 and am quite happy with it)

113. I started out with a Maxxum 7000, waaaay back when. Autofocus had just come out then, and I thought it was
    wonderful. Within a few months though I hated the user interface so much I sold the whole kit to a camera shop.
    Right about then the T90 was introduced; my friends and I were all over it. I bought one, and it served me well
    for several years, until I caved in and bought an Elan, again for the autofocus. Never once looked at anything
    else, and I've been a Canon user ever since. I have a 1V, 5D, RT, EF, F4s and several others, but the T90 is
    still my favorite.

114. Silly answer: because Canon is the official camera of the Chicago Cubs.

Real answer: because I learned about Canon from my brother. He knows more about cameras than I do, so I figured if I have a Canon he can answer my questions.

115. It's really quite simple. I started with a T70 (ages ago....), followed by an EOS 620, EOS 10, entered the digital world
    with an IXUS 500 to get used, then back to (D)SLR's with a 350D, a 400D and now with the 450D. Apart from my
    own stupidity (never change lenses is damp, hot and dirty places ;-) ) none of these camera's had defects or
    malfunctioned in all those years, despite thousands of photo's taken.
    Perhaps I was only lucky, but for me Canon is the equivalent for quality.

116. Made the choice in 1990 to buy a new SLR (my old Minolta was all crapped out). Salesman recommended I go with a new EOS camera -- the 10S. The price was right and I was out the door exploring. I knew the name brand and even then I had a positive image of it. The Rebel thing I found pretty annoying then (ala Andre Agassi) and still do.

Ever since I tell myself one of the best choices I've made (going with Canon SLRs) that affected my life, as far as $$ hobbies go.

117. I did way too much camera research and finally my brain exploded. I'm not sure what happened next, but now I have a Canon.

118. I was shooting (still do) with a Nikon F-3. A friend bought a Canon XT. A month or two later she decided she wanted the XTI and offered me a deal on the XT. That's why I shoot with a Canon and happily do so.