White Balance for BW

jdailey

Yes!

I was recently told keeping a color camera in AWB behind filters in front of the lens would be counterproductive. Just dial in something and don't fuzz about it. Also: Memory became dirt cheap and cameras turned much faster, so why not shoot RAWs on the side (just in case) and tell nobody about them? That way you can filter in post. - Might be worth it once in a while?

I shoot in raw and then convert to B&W in LR at which time I do adjust WB and individual colours in order to get the best look for the file before exporting to PS. While I do not shoot jpeg, I imagine the white balance setting would have to have an effect of the look of the jpeg.
  • Like 2

White balance in RAW is just a tag, not a setting. It has no effect until translated by a RAW converter. In-camera B&W is usually in the form of JPEG, as interpreted from the raw image in firmware.

You have many more options for B&W filter effects when post-processing RAW images. Lightroom has a list of presets, as does Photomatix and AuroraHD, and a host of other programs. You can also make adjustments to the color channels in Photoshop for personalized effects.

Kind of a puzzling proposal to get my head around. My camera has different varieties of monochrome. All to my knowledge balance to a built in RGB balance. And convert raw info into what the engine is told to make the JPEG look like. If I get it at all and I think I do...( one can still fuss with the resulting JPEG and substantially so by the way... So I would reply that the camera does the conversion to its formula. And if this is the reality, to white balance which is a color correction to a standard as I perceive it, is a moot t idea. Which is why I shoot color, convert and use the scales to emphasize or downplay a certain chroma combo. No is the short answer from this stance. Edited by GerrySiegel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...