Which slide film scans best overall?

<p>I haven't considered this for a while, but would like to hear from users of various E-6 emulsions as to which slide film scans best or perhaps the two or three that are the best choices for scanning purposes. Thanks in advance for any opinions/info.</p>

<p>In my experience the end result is more dependent on scanner quality and scanning technique than film type. I have no problem scanning Kodachrome and disagree about the need for heavy use of PS. I have many thousands of Kodachromes and routinely find that the shadow detail that can be extracted from Kodachrome far surpasses that from E6 films such as Ektachrome and Provia. I use an Imacon 646. I also have a Nikon 5000ED which I find is incapable of extracting full quality from any of these slide films. </p>

<p>I agree with Lex. With the right scanner and technique, all films are equally scanable. When my Minolta was working, I could handle anything, even faded Agfachromes or color negs from the 50's. I do have trouble with the cyan dye in Kodachrome with my Coolscan III. It can't handle the cyan maximum density.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In my experience the end result is more dependent on scanner quality and scanning technique than film type.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. I also prefer Imacon scans from my slides- Velvia 30/100 and Provia 100 to those from Coolscans, though the latter will also make good prints. The Imacon, albeit nominally of lower resolution, seems to dig out more shadow detail, and thats an important quality for slide film.</p>

<p>Negative film scans better just because the contrast range is so compressed, but I hate the grain that comes with it. But if you want a wide range of contrast, negative film is the way to go. That being said I shoot color slide film. If I shoot negative film, it's black and white negative film.</p>

<p>I've used most of the scanners. My favorites have always been Epson. I still have some 1950's Kodachromes, No Problem, scanned hundreds of color print films even including negative and positive duplicating films, No Problem, and when it comes to scanning b/w films many of the most expensive high res scanner virtually destroy b/w, not Epson!</p>

<p>Lynn</p>