Which photographers and/or what type of photographs do you like?

This arose out of the "Can it still be called a photograph" thread. I'm just curious to see what different people here like, specifically types or genres of photos and particular photographers. You can expound on what, whom and why, or just list them. I always find new photographers to look at when these threads happen so don't be shy.

Just for openers:

Robert Franks

Avedon

Newton

Arbus

Eugene Smith

Irving Penn

La Chappele

Shore

Winograd

Lee Frielander

Walker Evans

Atget

Moriyama

Opie

Fukose

Arakis

and a bunch more, but just for a start.

I've been influenced by The Image Bank more than anything else.

I'm also a fan of some of the photographers you listed above. I would add Alfred Eisenstaedt, Mary Ellen Mark, Cartier-Bresson, Olive Cotton, Andreas Feininger, Horst, Cecil Beaton, Bill Henson, Thorsten Overgaard. I'd add Bill Cunningham, not because his photos are great, but because of his personality, his approach, his dedication and his extraordinary archive.

I would also add many photographers I follow on social media, who shoot documentary, urban, street, cars, and portraiture.

• Like 1

Starting in high school in California, I was heavily influenced by Monterey Peninsula photographers Ansdel Adams, Edward and Brett Weston, Wynn Bullock, etc. Later, in the 70's, I even attended Adams' week long photography workshop in Yosemite (the only workshop that I have ever attended). I really enjoy more modern photographers, but I keep going back to my photographic roots for inspiration.
  • Like 1

My tastes are catholic (small c), and I can mostly appreciate photographers whose work I don't really like.

I'm generally "easy".

But just as there is just one camera that I really dislike (old-timers here will know that this is the Kodak 35), there is one photographer -- and his ilk -- whose work makes me embarrassed for him:

William Mortensen. (example at William Mortensen: photographic master at the monster’s ball)

• Like 1

Cringe-worthy, or simply following in an age-old tradition of using allegory, religious or mythological motifs as an excuse to show the naked female form?

I sometimes can't view much-revered religious works by the likes of Reubens without having a good snigger at their ridiculous content. Don't care how impeccable their painterly technique was.

But I think sidetracking this thread with what we don't like could prove highly controversial and self-destructive.

• Like 1

There are only a handful listed above that I haven't been exposed to over the years. Still, my favorite has always been W. Eugene Smith. I like to bring him up when people talk about digital manipulations, as he was doing that way before digital. His photos often aren't truth in the absolute photographic record sense, but they're truth in the telling the most powerful story possible. FWIW, I'm far too much of a wuss to take the kinds of photos that most impress me.
  • Like 3

Linda Eastman had incredible access to 60’s musicians, being married to one, and produced some excellent work at the only time it could have been done. Gene Smith and Vivian Maier were very good if flawed in many ways. Capa, Cartier-Bresson, Adams, Avedon, it’s a long list.

Rick H.

• Like 1

Don McCullin, for his unflinching war pictures and for his gritty landscapes and gentle social documentary.

Heather Angel for her promotion of natural history photography and concern for ecology.

The thousands of nameless photographers working before I was born that have left an insight into times, people and places long gone.

• Like 1

I'd have add Harry Callahan, Larry Trowell for his great family photos, most of the Magnum photographers, incl. Parr, earlier work by Bruce Gilden, especially his Yakusa series, Pinkhassov, especially his book "Sight Walk", Erwitt, Bruce Davidson, David Alan Harvey, and how can I forget about William Eggleston and Larry Sultan. Dang, there's just too many.
  • Like 1

After high school in the late 60's I started with 35mm photographing people in everyday situations. I think I was most influenced by the documentary photography seen in both Life and Look magazines. I don't even know who the photographers were. I just liked the natural look, unposed, real. I still use that style after all these years! Edited by sjmurray