Which current Nikon DSLR has interchangeable focusing screen?

bebu_lamar

<p>Actually plenty of recent/current Nikon FX bodies have user-interchangeable focusing screens. You don't need to disassemble the camera to remove/change the screen. It is not as simple as removing the viewfinder and remove the focusing screen as you could with the F4, F5, etc. where the viewfinder is interchangeable. Instead, the screen is held in place by a metal wire or bracket, more similar to that on the FM and FE cameras.</p>

<p>Below is an image of the D4S.</p><div>00dsP4-562298884.jpg.328ab6c1ce2c7a6e42029495c9b3525f.jpg</div>

<p>A bit surprised that Nikon still offers a Type E screen for the D3/D3S/D3X (in addition to the standard B): http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/focusing-screens/type-e-focusing-screen.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-CompatibleWith<br>

There was also a Type W for the D2Xs and D2Hs: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/focusing-screens/type-w-iii-focusing-screen.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-CompatibleWith</p>

<p>Not aware that Nikon is offering any focusing screens nowadays - whatever is available is third party. As Shun points out above, Nikon still makes them interchangeable though - for whatever reason.</p>

<p>The main reason for the Nikon replaceable focusing screen, is to allow the use of a GRID type screen for architectural photography. The grid is to help one to determine composition to help keep vertical and horizontal features as linear as possible. This is helpful if one is using one of Nikon's TILT/SHIFT lenses.</p>

<p>These types of screens are and were offered in the prosumer and pro cameras. Also, in the past Nikon offered specialty focus screens for the likes of astrography, document copying, and as stated earlier, manual focusing with lenses with an aperture of f/8 or more.</p>

<p>I have owned and used the grid screens in the past for my Nikon FM's and F5's.</p>

<p>Nikon has a habit of hiding these screens on there web sites. You should contact them if you're really interested.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for everyone response! My purpose for asking the question is that with the Nikon F5 when you use certain screen you have to set metering bias because all screens do not transmit the same amount of light. I am wondering if there is such a function in current DSLRs. <br>

To answer Peter Hamn. I have not seen a DSLR that is as easy to manual focus as the F3 and I am not talking about the use of the split image which I hate. If the camera isn't designed for user screen interchangable then doing so could damage the camera. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know you can fine tune the meter but is there a function specifically for focusing screen compensation?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There isn't - fine tuning the meter would accomplish the same thing. Since Nikon no longer offers a bunch of different focusing screens (like they did for the F, F2, F3, F4, and F5), there's not really a need for an additional parameter in the menu of a DSLR.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Many of the higher end Nikons can have their focusing screens changed out but it is not like it is for the F-F4. It does NOT require disassembling the pentaprism, it is much simpler than that. Since all of my lenses are MF AI/AIS, I got a microprism/ground glass screen from focusingscreen.com for my D700. Changing it was straight forward, following their instructions and only took about 10 minutes. I have put both a D and AF-S Nikkor on it and the D700 auto-focuses just fine with the after market screen.</p>

<p>If you plan on doing a lot of manual focusing or using MF lenses, a third party screen optimized for manual focusing is a good investment. </p>