Whats the point of extended gamut

<p>Does the Dell exaggerate color or does the Viewsonic supress colors?</p>

<p>Your test is somewhat like putting one hand in a bucket of warm water and the other in a bucket of cold water, then putting them both in a one bucket of room temperature water. To the hand that was in the bucket oc warm water, the room temperature water will feel cold. To the hand that was in the bucket of cold water, the room temperature water will feel warm. If you are use to a normal gaumet monitor, the extended gamut monitor will seem exaggerated. If you are use to an extended gamut monitor, the normal monitor will seem subdued.</p>

<p>Like beauty, it is all in the eye of the beholder.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Brooks, but I use my eyes and brain to apply reality as a control, the Dell exaggerates<br>

Been in photography all my life, (I'm 53) believe me the Dell isn't realistic. I dont walk around with Tiffen red enhancers strapped to my eyes.....like the people who set up displays in LCD TV showrooms. <br>

Accurate interpretation is not in the eye of the beholder.<br>

Oh.... apparently I'm 52....woohoo!</p>

<p>Tony, what does the Dell "exaggerate color" on? Color managed applications, like PhotoShop and some browsers, look "right" on any calibrated monitor, they just look "better" on wide gamut monitors.</p>

<p>Applications that aren't color managed, that is, that don't pay any attention to the monitor profile you created when doing the calibration, look oversaturated and annoying on a wide gamut monitor.</p>

<p>Hi Tony,</p>

<p>The "calibration" section of this review <a href="http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm">http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm</a> may be of some help to you.</p>

<p>I have my U2410 set to "Standard" mode and do not find it exaggerats. My test is when I post process negative scans in Photoshop CS5, convert the profile to Costco's printer profile, the colors in the prints I get look like the image on the monitor.</p>

<p>BTW, if you still think the U2410 is too saturated, you can set the sRGB mode in the on screen commands.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sorry but you're missing the purpose of my post. Forget my Dell. It wasn't meant as a specific "I cant calibrate my monitor" question. <br>

What is the point of wide gamut? What does 'standard' gamut fail to do when it comes to realistic reproduction of an image?</p>

<p> </p>

The point is that there are realistic colors that fall outside the gamut of a normal monitor. These are colors

which exist in the real world, can be captured by real cameras, and can be printed by real printers.

If you are seeing exaggerated colors in a color-managed workflow, you are doing something wrong. A

wide-gamut monitor shouldn't exaggerate colors; it should simply give you the ability to reproduce a wider

range of color.

Tony, I really suspect something is wrong with your monitor or workflow. I've got a wide-gamut NEC right

next to a normal old Apple display.They are both profiled and for the most part the colors looks the same

on both. The exception is in images where the colors in the file really do fall outside the gamut of the

apple monitor. In those cases I see truer colors and smoother gradients on the NEC. A color that falls

within the gamut of the Apple monitor looks the same on both monitors.

<p>The point of an extended gamut display, properly calibrated and profiles, is to show you colors that are within the gamut of the RGB working space that fall outside the gamut of a standard gamut display. Example, colors that fall within Adobe RGB at the gamut edge are not visible on an sRGB like gamut display. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I just got a wide gamut screen and it's interesting. For the first time I can see what the fuss about sRGB being a limited color space is all about. I have gone through some old pictures of mine (I worked in AdobeRGB and ProPhoto) and look at them and then use soft proofing to see what is out of gamut in sRGB.</p>

<p>While you claimed this thread is theoretical it's clearly motivated by frustration you're having getting your monitor set up right. Don't give up and do judge your photos only in a color managed environment like Photoshop, Lightroom, or Firefox.</p>